SKS SCOPE

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by tim peterson, May 6, 2009.

1. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

howdy im trying to find some info/suggestions on mounting a scope on a sks. Were thinking about scopeing two chiness sks . What I want to know is this, can you shoot good groups with a scoped sks? My gun smith thought that there could be a problem with the scope mounts being on the receiver cover and not bolted to the action or barrel. I would like some opinons on what type of scope works good. And what size groups we might be able to shot with Wolf FMJ ammo. Any/all info would be a big help. thanx

2. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

Well....its kinda like puttin a cadilac emblem on a chevette. All jokes aside, you probly wont leave it on very long. Some people have decent luck, but not many. A small 4x is what is normally used. For me, the scope sits too high. And SKSs arent known for accuracy. It was only made to hit a man sized target out to 300m. Good groups? That depends on what good groups means to you. The cover doesn't allow for the scope to really stay in 1 place, (roughly though.) You will probly be less than satisfied, but go ahead and try it. You may like it.

3. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

If you really want a good scope setup for an SKS, start by using the Choate Machining scope mount that bolts directly to the receiver (requires drilling and tapping 4 holes in the receiver). This is the only way I've found to ensure a mount that won't jump around. After that the scope is up to you. I have an NcSTAR 3-9X42 Tactical with IR on mine that works great.

4. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

I switched the gas tube to an after market, I cant remember the name but it has a weaver type rail that allowed me to mount any scope I wanted. Works great and the groups @ 150 yards are less than an inch.

5. questor

questor Member

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  6. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

I have a question about the gass tube version . If you use it can I have any problems with breaking down the rifle forn cleaning ?

7. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

I have a question about the gass tube version . If you use it can I have any problems with breaking down the rifle for cleaning ?

8. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

Being as it is a removable part there is always the possiblity that the scope will be off when its reassembled. This type of mount usually requires a scope with a long eye relief as well as the mount is so far forward. Personally I would only use this type of mount fo something like a holographic sight. And then only for close range defensive purposes. The Choate mount I mentiond before is the only one that will always maintain scope allignment to the barrel. Here are a couple pics of my SKS. Due to the folding stock I put the Choate mount on mine about 1/2" back from their recommended mounting position. It works great and does not interfere with disassembly and cleaning. I can shoot 1-1/2" groups with wolf ammo at 100 yds as long as I can hold steady enough.

Attached Files:

9. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

Hey guys just want to say thank you for all the information. I appreciate it, USMCSPEEDY thanx for the Pictures there a big help !! Im going to use the Choate Mount.

10. sarzak

sarzak New Member

choate mount works fine. molot mount allow use of pso or posp type scopes
    which "fit" better and require minimal or no stock mod. check out kalinka optics as well as forums such as surplus rifle and sks boards. keep in mind both these require drill and tap of receiver, recommend use bore sight, super glue to position/mark prior to drill/tap so scope is within vertical "zero". I have also used a rail blank to mount posp type up high, welded on(way easier).

11. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

thanx for the info, Im going to check it out !