SKS stripper clip problem

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by RunningOnMT, May 8, 2009.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Spent the other day shooting and ran into one problem with my SKS which I had never fired before. It shot flawlessly but I had a problem with loading it. I could not use the stripper clips to load the mag. When I pressed down it seemed like the rounds seemed to bind up. I pressed as hard as i could and they wouldnt budge. I ended up loading it a round at a time directly into the mag. Can anyone tell me what the problem is and how to remedy it?

2. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

Were you loading into the built in 10rd of into a removable aftermarket? If its an after market do you know what brand?

3. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I was loading into the built in 10 rd mag. I decided to not go with after market hi capacity magazines with this. Although I've heard a few say that one brand works pretty well the majority of blogs I've read say they are nothing but trouble. Since I'm not trying to turn it into an "assault" rifle, the ten rd works for me. The problem didn't seem to be the magazine as much as with the clips. The rounds just seemed to bind up in them.

4. poobear

poobear New Member

I changed my SKS to the Tapco 20 round clip. It has been great not one problem to date. However I started off with the original 10 round with stripper clips and had the same problem. I was told instead of pushing down to take the top round and lift up on the front and push down on the back. It seemed to work much better doing it that way.

5. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

That simplifies things a little then. A couple things I have found with the stripper clips.
    1. The rails on the sides that hold the rounds have a cosmoline buildup in them.

2. The rails are to tight when holding the rounds. I have used a screwdriver to pry them open a little all along their length to loosen them up a little.

3. If they are just a little stiff, there is the tendancy to push the bolt back slightly when tring to load and it throws off the alignment to the mag. (This one is user error and still happens to me)

4. The stripper clip may be corroded and rusted and need to be cleaned up with a wire brush. (more often the first one than this one)

The SKS and stripper clips always seem to be tempermental. Hope this helps.

6. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

I am gonna say this, in hopes you don't take it as an insult. When you are loading with the stripper clip are you pressing on the rounds closest to the clip. If you press anyplace other than the base of the round you are forcing the tips down binding the rounds. How easy do the rounds come off the clips when not trying to load?? Mine almost fall off with slight pressure, if they bind even out of the gun--its the clip. Just my 2 cents.

7. azsigman

azsigman New Member

+1 with PPK.. Also, try straightening the clip a bit when pushing the rounds in. Takes practice but you'll get it.

8. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Thank you all for your responses.

Poobear, I tried pulling uo on the tip of the top round while pushing down at the rear as you suggested and it worked a lot better. Still not what I would consider satisfactory for a situation requiring rapid reloading, but at least I was able to load it with them.

USMCspeedy, while it doesn't appear that the rails are too tight, the surface of these is a little rough. They came in a bag full of cosmoline and I soaked them in brake cleaner to get it all off. Now they have almost like a galvanized or even glass beaded feel. I think I might try spraying on a little lube then wiping them dry. Also the springs on the end seem a bit stiff...I may try bending them in a hair.

As it is you have all set me on the course to fixing the problem. At first I thought something was wrong with the rifle or the clips.

9. ARB

ARB New Member

RunningOnMT, I have switched over to the Tapco 20 rd. mags., I have a ton of unused stripper clips if you want them.:)

10. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Thanks ARB but I have more than enough. I have a Tapco stock installed, would I need to do any modification to use a Tapco 20 rd mag or just remove the standard magazine?

11. ARB

ARB New Member

It is as easy as pie! Just take out your original magazine, once that is complete and the rifle is together as it needs to be, those Tapco mags just slide right in place. I have forgotten what you need to do to get the old one out as I bought the mags. with the furniture. The slide will have to be open for them to click in place. Tapco should have instructions, they seem to know what they are doing. Do not by the metal ones at Cheaperthandirt.

12. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Thanks ARB...I think I'll have to give those a try. I had thought there may be some fitting that needed to be done.

13. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

Ditto on the Tapco mags. They even activate the bolt stop when they are empty. They are the bomb diggity.

14. Ed Wagner

Ed Wagner Member

I've had good success with spraying my strippers with remoil ocassionally