SKUNKED!!!

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

kdubaz
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/2/01 6:28:10 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All SKUNKED!!!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Deer 3, Hunters 0 -

Well, our Coues whitetail deer hunt came and went. The rancher's son, my brother and I had tags for the little rascals and hunted on a neighboring ranch that has been closed to hunting for several years. Saw lots of smaller bucks and some really HUMUNGUS mule deer bucks, but nothing legal or enticing. That is, except for one ol' boy that saw me first, around dark-thirty one evening. He lit out fast and I was only able to get the scope on him for an instant prior to his disappearing around the shoulder of the next ridgeline, about 400 yds out. Sure had a nice rack! Think I'll try for muley tags next year - those bruisers were huge!

The New Mexico mule deer hunt comes up the 12th - may have better luck over there.
    Keep below the ridgeline!

oldguide32
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/5/01 8:16:45 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: SKUNKED!!!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'd rather hunt deer than elk anyday, Ken. But my son Joseph (17) shot a nice bull elk yesterday. Got it skinned and hanging. We'll cut and wrap it in 4-5 days. We sure noticed how much more massive the build is on this bull than on the cow elk I shot 2 weeks ago. Just a bigger animal. I sure wish I could hunt deer with you. Mule deer bucks are my favorite.

kdubaz
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/8/01 12:03:01 am)
    Dagnabit, Jack -

I'd sure like to get you onto a nice mulie hunt, too!

One of these days, soon afterwhile, we'll have to get ol' Cointoss with us and map out such a hunt. New Mexico is one of the few states anymore that still has tags over the counter for them, and has a right plentiful supply of the critters!

I'll let you know how things go on the upcoming - sure looking forward to it. Understand from talking to the outfitter's wife the other night that we'll be packing in about 5-6 hours from the ranch and they have teepees for sleeping, instead of wall tents! That will be a new one on me!!!! Supposed to sleep 3 guys and all their gear comfortably - we'll see!
    Keep below the ridgeline!

shooter22
    (11/8/01 5:01:04 pm)
    Good luck Kdub. A nice big ol' Muley would sure ease the skunked feelings.

shooter22

cointoss 2
    (11/8/01 10:18:29 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: SKUNKED!!!
    Kdubya, my record for my deer hunting is 1-0-?, just got back from hunting upper, MI and a week of summer weather in a tent in prime whitetail country and only saw 2 deer. more damn coyotes and a couple a wolves,just more predators than I care to look at. Rifle season is coming the 15th, could be interesting!
    Darn good idea about Jack youself, and I; Good luck on the Muley.
    cointoss2