Sled or No?

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by cannonman, Apr 19, 2020.

1. cannonman

cannonman Active Member

I bought a 65CM Bergara, way back when the .308 folks thought I was nuts. It was an entry level and since I've graduated to a custom job by Rainier. Working up loads I followed the steps of a guy whom I really respect. He has a shooting pedigree that fills a room. At lest 5 AI's he's customized to his liking. Anyway, when posting a field test of my loads and the targets, he commented that the first thing I should do is take the gun out of the sled. I guess the idea is you can create more problems with the sled than you correct. Thoughts?

shootbrownelk likes this.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

Sled? You skiing or something?;)

shootbrownelk, Firpo and howlnmad like this.

3. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

I thought maybe he was going to do up an old '50 Merc :D.

shootbrownelk and sharps4590 like this.
  4. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

IMO the easiest and very accurate way to check loads is to use a front and rear shooting bag. Make sure the stock sits in the same location on the foreward bag every shot and try to put the same hand pressure every time on the stock.
    I've tried a shooting sled before and hated it

shootbrownelk, zant and sharps4590 like this.
  5. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

Okay, back on course. While the shooting rest may add problems, it's my opinion that it takes a lot of human error out of the equation.
    Just my :twocents:. Ya get what ya pay for.

6. Smoke

Smoke Well-Known Member

A sled just takes the human out of the equation & lets the gun do what it is setup to do. Holding the gun in your hands could have something different happen every shot.

shootbrownelk, jonb32248 and howlnmad like this.
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

Oh, a Lead Sled - that I understand. I have one that I only use when I am sighting in a rifle.

shootbrownelk, Shooter45 and howlnmad like this.
  8. cannonman

cannonman Active Member

Ok, OK.... I think Eye got it!.... Now if I can find that emoji of it banging it's head against a … lead sled?!?! I should find a pic of the set up. I think it's pretty nice. I made some custom lead weights at about 30# ea. but with a 6.5CM I found no real use for them. My 300 Win Mag? Well I guess but Even after glass bedding it, polishing up the trigger and making a really nice muzzle break for it, I hated everything about it other than looking at it. It never shot better than 3MOA. That's enough off topic. I guess I'll start over and see which gives the best results. Fun comments. thanks guys. Oh, the 7 Ultra Mag? that was a pleasure to shoot. No Idea what I did different. But I sold that one also. No use here in TN.

9. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT No Power Options Supporting Member

All rifles we built were tuned on a remote sled-no touch. Then its up to the end user.

10. zant

zant Well-Known Member

I use a sled to see what my loads are capable of-not me,as I'm not touching the rifle.If I'm getting solid 1" in the sled..and 3" offhand,I know I need work.
    If you get a perfect sightin with the sled-it's amazing how far off it is using offhand.
    I like bags or a ruck to shoot off,I do have bipods but meh.

11. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

I shoot off a Harris bipod, the same ones I use for hunting.

rcairflr likes this.
  12. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

I'd lose the sled. Tried one, didn't care for it. Gimme a good sand bag on a good front rest and a sand butt bag. But criminy, that's what I've been using for over 40 years.

rcairflr likes this.
  13. Larry Isaacs

Larry Isaacs Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If you are only going to shoot at static targets then the sled/bags are good. If on the hand this is a hunting rifle wouldn't it be wise to shoot in the manner that you would while hunting? I understand working uploads and the repeatability of position is needed. I like to test loads in the same manner that I will be using the weapon.
    Just an opinion.

Larry

14. tango1niner

tango1niner Well-Known Member

I've read that using the Lead Sled for heavy recoiling Marlin lever actions puts too much stress on the butt stock and will make it split. So couple the heavy recoil with stock abutments that are not quite perfect and no soft shooter shoulder to cushion the recoil splitting/cracking could happen I suppose...

Larry Isaacs likes this.
  15. ysacres

ysacres Moderator Moderator Supporting Member