Sled or No?

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by cannonman, Apr 19, 2020.

1. 2A-Jay

2A-Jay Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have a Lead sled SI. I use it mostly for mounting and Zeroing Scopes Though I also use it as my Rifle cleaning Platform.

sharps4590 likes this.
  2. cannonman

cannonman Active Member

That's really close to mine. I've got a padded forend rest with the ability to clamp. Slightly different elevators. But essentially the same. Then I've got two lead weights. I took a bread pan and filled it with lead. With the skinny end up I put to drawer pulls on each end for handles. Then I felted the bottoms. Nice but no real need with the 6.5CM.

3. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Alllllllll them good bullets goin' to waste as a sled weight.....:D

cannonman likes this.
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

At the same time I bought my Lead Sled I also bought a couple of those canvas bags that supposedly hold a 25 pound bag of shot. I didn't have any shot but had plenty of ingots so I have 25 one pound ingots in each bag.

sharps4590 and howlnmad like this.
  5. cannonman

cannonman Active Member

I know, I know. When I started to cast I was crazed by the joy of taking a wheel weight and shooting 9mm's. Then the word got out and my friend started to bring me lead. One of my guys managed a tire store. A real busy tire store. Another guy was an "old" friend who I'd help in a gunsmith class. The tire guy brought me 5, 5gl buckets of wheel weights, the "old" guy had also had the lead bug and brought me linotype, lots of linotype. Another friend brought me ingots. These things are about 5"X5"X2'. I'm not sure what they weigh. I use them on my wood lathe. Most use a sand bag or such. I guess I've got a ton of the stuff. I melted all the wheel weights and casted 1lb ingots and they fill about 4, 5gl buckets. Ya can't move um. I cast my own cannon balls which is fun. The only problem is when I go out shooting the cannons the guys will go find the beat up balls and return them to me. I beg them to keep um. But I still love the whole beginning to end thing. As a matter of fact, I've got my eye on a new 9mm mold. Heck while I'm at it, you got a suggestion for a 9mm?

sharps4590 likes this.
  6. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Last thing first, no sir, I've never cast for 9mm. The only one I own is a WWII production Walther P-38 and I haven't run a box of ammo through it.

Secondly...all that lead...are you sure you and I aren't related? I was doing some geneology, (sp), work and I could have sworn I found a common distant relative. I could sure use some more lino.....:D You sound as if you're lead poor!!!!

cannonman likes this.