Slide wiggle

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by TigerLeo, Jan 8, 2017.

1. TigerLeo

TigerLeo Well-Known Member

Today, while cleaning my pistol, I noticed the slide wiggled side to side... Not much, but enough to be curious. It sort of rotates on the same axis as the barrel... Any ideas what that could be? Seeing as its Saturday I'll be calling hi point on Monday but I figured I'd come here to ask first.

2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Slides on most semi-auto are normally a bit loose to assure reliability of operation. The cheaper the gun the looser the fit, normally. Even Colt 1911's suffer this looseness and custom Gunsmiths get paid great amounts of money to tighten up the slide to frame fit. While that tends to make them a bit more accurate, the improvement goes away as the slide wears into the frame and some of the looseness re-appears over time.

As long as the slide can't fall off a lower cost gun, all is good. To get a precision semi-auto gun capable of match accuracy you have to pay a lot of money. Hi Point is not exactly in that league.

LDBennett

crystalphoto, Twicepop and carver like this.

3. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Normal wear. It just happens faster on a lower cost firearm. If you're concerned about it, give Hi-Point a call in the morning.

crystalphoto and dbcooper like this.
  4. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Hi Point has a fantastic warranty, if you call them concerned, they will have you ship it back and do any repair needed and send it back

crystalphoto, One Shot and howlnmad like this.
  5. TigerLeo

TigerLeo Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! Definitely went a long way in alleviating my fears! Don't want a gun to blow up on my hands! I may still yet call them, but I feel a little more comfortable.