Sling shots, butterfly knives, Christy Lane, Rolling Stones

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1952Sniper, Mar 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

17th FA Bn
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/1/03 2:12:06 pm)
    Reply Sling shots, butterfly knives, Christy Lane, Rolling Stones
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Four totally unrelated questions:

1. Are sling shots illegal in Indiana? My wife's aunt says they are, (my wife's family is from Indiana)

2. What is the legal status of butterfly knives, through out the U.S., but especially in Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana?

3. "When we were in Vietnam, there was another soldier with us, Christy Lane" This is from some cheesy ad hawking her CDs. She was/is a singer who did some USO work in Vietnam. From her songs on the ad she sounds like a female Pat Boone. I guess she did some special ops we didn't know about. My father in law was in the Americal, and he said she wasn't in his division.

4. Who decided that the Rolling Stones were the greatest rock and roll band of all time? Just saying it over and over doesn't make it true.

Edited by: 17th FA Bn at: 3/2/03 5:56:14 pm

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/2/03 6:36:24 pm)
    Reply Re: Sling shots, butterfly knives, Christy Lane, Rolling Sto
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Don't know nuthin' bout the first three...but, number 4's real answer is..."Lynyrd Skynrd" as the "Best Band" ever!!!...

HondoJohn6508
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/2/03 10:07:56 pm)
    Reply BEST BAND????????

Smokin Guns

You are, of course, just joking--right?

OJIH

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/2/03 10:15:03 pm)
    Re: BEST BAND????????
    That would of been my comment Hondo John!

KarlPMann
    (3/3/03 3:27:26 am)
    Can't say for most of it, but butterfly knives are legal to own in almost all states. You can't carry them in most states though. Federal law restricts switchblades and other automatic knives, but not butterflies. Karl.
    Happiness is a warm UZI.
    Karl's web site.
    UZI-Talk.
    Gun-Talk.
    MAGC

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/3/03 8:55:06 am)
    Wow...best band ever????????????

Too tough to narrow it that far...but Pink Floyd would be near the top anyway in my book...for rock, that is...the Beatles are the best pop band ever, hands down...and rate up there for rock in certain ways. For me, there are too many sub categories within rock to say "best band ever."

Boom-a-tic
    Everyone's Doing It!!!

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/3/03 3:58:36 pm)
    Reply Re: BEST BAND????????
    BRUCE AN DA E STREETERS!!!!case closed

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/3/03 4:47:19 pm)
    BILL HALEY AND THE COMETS!!!!!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/3/03 5:11:12 pm)
    Reply | Edit
    I don't see how slingshots could be illegal anywhere. Unless, of course, it's a black slingshot with a pistol grip and bayonet, with a detachable 30-round magazine for ball bearings. Then it would classify as a "semi-automatic assault slingshot".

You guys need some serious help in your musical tastes...
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/3/03 7:57:40 pm)
    O.K.,...How bout' ma boyz from Tejas'...ZZ Top...

KarlPMann
    (3/3/03 11:03:09 pm)
    OK, favorite group. Dire Straits. Just because Mark Knopfler's guitar. Favorite tune, Sultans of Swing (Live). Karl.
    Happiness is a warm UZI.
    Karl's web site.
    UZI-Talk.
    Gun-Talk.
    MAGC

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/3/03 11:31:36 pm)
    I find no mention of slingshots in the Weapons section of the Indiana Code. (And I really cant believe I looked.)

Many states legislate against 'knives which open by centrifugal force,' but I still have a headache from reading the damned Indiana Code looking for slingshots.

I have seen the Christy Lane commercial. I can only imagine those were the poorest-attended USO shows in history. Unless, of course, she was topless. Hell, I'd go see Mama Cass topless if it kept me out of the jungle.

The Rolling Stones are not the greatest rock band. They are proof that heroin is a preservative. Everybody knows that Jefferson Airplane was the greatest rock band (now, where did I put those mushrooms...).

Edited by: AntiqueDr at: 3/4/03 12:10:34 am

SouthernMoss
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/3/03 11:58:32 pm)
    Re: slingshots
    Came across this quote from Massachusetts law on a site pointing out what horrible toys are sold to kids these days:

Mass. Gen. L. ch. 269, §12 (1987):
    Whoever manufactures or causes to be manufactured, or sells or exposes for sale, an instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as a ...sling shot.... shall be punished by a fine of not less that fifty nor more than one thousand dollars or by imprisonment for not more that six months; provided, however, that sling shots may be manufactured and sold to clubs or associations conduction sporting events where such sling shots are used.

The site also claims that:

Other states, such as Florida, Illinois and California have similar statutes, and at least 11 other states proscribe the use, possession and/or sale of such dangerous weaponry.

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/4/03 7:02:31 am)
    I live here, and heck if I know. I know they sell the sling-shots at KMart.
    The Butterfly knife is certainly questionable, possibly 1 of those items you can have as long as you don't have it on you while being searched!

And... AC-DC is being inducted into the Rock Hall-of-Fame next week

[email protected]

Edited by: Zigzag2 at: 3/4/03 7:10:40 am

KarlPMann
    (3/4/03 7:09:33 am)
    Bingo on the butterfly knives. In Colorado, you can own one, but there are restrictions on carrying. You can only carry to and from martial arts events, knife collecter events, etc. You may not carry it on or about your person yada yada yada. Karl.
    Happiness is a warm UZI.
    Karl's web site.
    UZI-Talk.
    Gun-Talk.
    MAGC

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/4/03 8:18:17 am)
    Reply | Edit
    It's pretty sad that in most states you can carry a concealed handgun, but not a butterfly knife.

Where did common sense go?

Should we push for a concealed butterfly knife permit?

KarlPMann
    (3/4/03 8:21:53 am)
    Here, you can carry any "dangerous weapon" with a CCW. The new law that they're about to pass will change that though. But it will make the CCW easier to get. Karl.
    Happiness is a warm UZI.
    Karl's web site.
    UZI-Talk.
    Gun-Talk.
    MAGC

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/4/03 6:30:43 pm)
    Reply Re: slingshots
    Ya mite bee on ta sumthin there ZigZag...Now I gotta decide between "Freebird" or "Hells Bells"...Law'd a'mercy...them Bands-n-Songs bring back some fond memories... ...

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/4/03 9:41:06 pm)
    Reply | Edit
    Oh crap, Smokin Guns. Last time I listened to Freebird, I had it stuck in my head for about 6 months.....

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/5/03 11:14:22 am)
    sniper...you sayin' pink floyd is bad musical taste...son...
    Boom-a-tic
    Everyone's Doing It!!!

inplanotx
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/5/03 11:23:04 am)
    Reply Re: slingshots
    Moody Blues....

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/5/03 11:53:42 am)
    Reply | Edit
    Boomatic, I don't know if I'd say Pink Floyd is bad taste, but it certainly ain't my taste.

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/5/03 4:02:37 pm)
    They said "rock" band...so I guess it depends on one's definition of rock.

So...did you venture an opinion...I can't remember.
    Boom-a-tic
    Everyone's Doing It!!!

SouthernMoss
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/5/03 4:17:29 pm)
    Barry Manilow! .... oops, sorry, wrong forum.

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/5/03 4:35:37 pm)
    Reply | Edit
    Boomatic, no I didn't say who my favorite rock band would be. I'm undecided at the moment. Aerosmith would be a contender, though.

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/5/03 6:40:27 pm)
    Very high on my list too...Aerosmith.

But the composition, recording, mastering on Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall have yet to be equalled in my book. Roger Waters is a musical genius and quite a visionary to boot.

Hell...I think Ted Nugent is one of the greatest rock guitarists of all time...he got out of hand ego wise...but his early playing is still simply amazing.
    Boom-a-tic
    Everyone's Doing It!!!

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/5/03 7:23:55 pm)
    Reply Hey Now!
    Ya'll don't ferget about "Queen"...music composition...nuthin' else...

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/5/03 10:07:23 pm)
    Reply | Edit
    Re: Hey Now!
    I just never cared for the musical style of Pink Floyd. The talent is there, but it never suited my tastes. An Austrian group, Stahlhammer, did a remake of "The Wall" that is pretty interesting, though.

And you have to give some credit to Led Zeppelin. They pretty much defined an era. I'm a closet Rush fan, too (don't tell anyone).

SouthernMoss
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/5/03 10:26:06 pm)
    Re: Hey Now!
    c'mon, now, you guys are forgetting about those icons of Southern Rock, the Allman Brothers Band. Ramblin Man, Jessica, Midnight Rider, Sweet Melissa ... classic stuff!!

Jungle Jim
    (3/7/03 9:11:35 pm)
    Reply Christy Lane
    The person saying that Christy Lane was in Vietnam is Barry Sadler. I knew Barry, and know Christy and her husband Lee Stoller. Christy worked some USO tours in Nam, when she was a less known singer. She's a good person, just trying to make a living on the couple of hits she had in the 70's.

Most of you know that Barry Sadler died in 1986 in a Murphreesboro, TV VA hospital from wounds recieved in Guatemala.

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/9/03 7:46:11 am)
    Reply Re: Christy Lane
    Leo Sayer Rules!!!...

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/9/03 8:18:56 am)
    Well, my memories go back a bit further:

During World War Duece:

Top musical group: The Glenn Miller Band

Top USO singer: Frances Langford

Top pinup: Betty Grable

In Minn-eeee-sota, butterflies are not allowed to carry knives. The are, however, allowed to carry Thompson SubMachine Guns to defend themselves from the mosquitos.

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/9/03 9:30:49 am)
    Re: Christy Lane
    sniper...I am an openly declared Rush fan...I don't care who knows it!

Yeah Led Zepplin is right at the top for me too. They do not get enough credit for all of the musical exploration they did...it was overshadowed by their image of hotel wrecking, sex/drug crazed, egomaniacs...which was true too.

Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon' stands as a near perfect work for me to this day, though...30 years later. There was so much exploration/innovation going on there.
    Boom-a-tic
    Everyone's Doing It!!!

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/9/03 11:06:46 am)
    Went to a concert in Columbus in the mid-70's, featured was "Lynyrd Skynyrd", opening bands were Robin Trower then "Rush"...Had a good time...there was also a mini-blizzard goin' on outside, drivin' 80 miles in a blizzard to see some rock bands! Those were the days...

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/9/03 3:55:16 pm)
    Oops...and no, I am not forgetting about the Allman Bros. Duane Allman was an excellent guitarist...wonderful slide player.
    Boom-a-tic
    Everyone's Doing It!!!

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/9/03 4:27:33 pm)
    Reply | Edit

Quote:
    Yeah Led Zepplin is right at the top for me too. They do not get enough credit for all of the musical exploration they did...it was overshadowed by their image of hotel wrecking, sex/drug crazed, egomaniacs...which was true too.

That's par for the course these days. Maybe they set the trend there, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.