Slow time of the year

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FreedomAndForgiven, Jan 8, 2017.

1. FreedomAndForgiven

FreedomAndForgiven Well-Known Member

This is my slow time of the year, and it sucks. Can't do a whole lot outside, no body is hosting shows really, all my Christmas music sales, and streams flailing, and I have to push myself to stay on task. Still in my home studio 6 to 12 hours a day working on a bunch of new stuff, but man I hate when everything dies down. Heck the weather sucks do bad I don't know when I'll be able to go plink at the range again.

2. Broot

Broot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The weather's not all that bad :rolleyes::p Bundle up and get plinking. Heck, you may even have the range to yourself :D

3. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member

I will be going to my trap club today. Can't let the weather shut you down.

4. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

I'm with you guys too. I hit the range as much as i can this time of year. Almost always have it to myself and it gives me something to do this time of year. I try to at least pick days with as little wind as possible and hopefully a little sun out. If the temp is below 10 degrees, i stay home and reload.

5. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

With a -15 wind chill I stay in the shop and do not test any guns. Intill I have too.
    Its hard to shoot when you can not feel your fingers.
    Besides I have to try to catch up and with 20 some guns to restore that is not easy.
    But Gadaro (Rob) has been coming in to help with the paper work and when he gets that caught up he will be learning how to strip and polish guns to restore.
    Mike

6. 2A-Jay

2A-Jay Well-Known Member

With the SPORTSMANS Range on base closed this time of year, the next closest range to me only charges $10 dollars for guests, but you have to accompanied by a member in good standing, and I don't know anyone who is a member there, I am limited to the places I can go shoot. Most are nearly an hour drive and don't even know if they are open. The closest indoor range is $35 to shoot, and they keep the fired brass. So I am just stuck here cleaning my pistols again.

joe45c, Broot and firefighter1635 like this.
  7. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

When it's nasty out like it is, I go to an indoor range. They charge by the half hour and hour. I usually rent a lane for an hour (12 bucks). The RO's all know me and sweep my brass to the side so I can pick it up. They don't allow reloads, only their factory reloaded ammo but I've saved factory boxes so I can put my reloads in, they see me pull out a box of PMC bronze and say, ok your good to go. They don't need to know I have my 75 grain Hornaday match grade handloads in there.;)

joe45c and Broot like this.
  8. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

Talked to my friend in WI. the other day. He went to his weekly trap club shoot. The temp. was -29 deg's with the wind chill. He didn't even bother taking his shotgun. Watched 2 guys try to shoot a round then went to a local watering hole for lunch & a few mugs of hut buttered rum. Jan. can be a real downer, & then there's Feb. If you live north of Orlando, it's hard to believe in global warming.

firefighter1635, joe45c and Broot like this.
  9. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

-15 degrees, i think i'd stay in too, mike. it would be the kind of day to stay and kick back and fix, or clean guns.

firefighter1635 and goofy like this.
  10. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

HE"S SMART!

firefighter1635 likes this.
  11. 264winmag

264winmag New Member

I am from a family of Trap shooters an married my wife that loves shooting as much as me... I know I got lucky finding this wonderful lady. But we never have any downtime in the winter months we shoot year round.

joe45c and Broot like this.
  12. FreedomAndForgiven

FreedomAndForgiven Well-Known Member

9 Degrees, ice, and the roads to the range are iced over.

Broot and joe45c like this.
  13. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I went to my outdoor range yesterday and the were about 12 guys doing a meat shoot at the trap area. I stayed at the 25-100-200 area and played with my Axis 223. The windchill was -6 but where I was is walled off from north and west winds. Nice clear sky, sun shining down on my face, not even a breeze. I dressed up in my hunting gear and actually started to sweat

Just bring a box of wife's cookies and a thermos of hot coffee. Or as I call it, "shootin' oil". I was there about 2 hours and only saw 3 other guys. I did have to make 3 trips to the outside portapotty to drain the coffee filter. Brrrrrr

14. 2A-Jay

2A-Jay Well-Known Member

Decided to stay inside today and take a well deserved nap. a very chilly 30 degrees all day today.Freezing rain. I went out to check the front yard, both vehicles were encased in ice. Couldn't even get the doors to my truck open. Roads are like an Ice Rink. People are out walking on the frozen over lakes, the HOA didn't bother to send out maintenance to sand the roads in the community. Forecast for the same for the next few days. And I am running low on firewood for the Wood Stove. BRRRRRRRRRRR

Broot and joe45c like this.
  15. Big Mak

Big Mak Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Global Warming Report 1/8/2017.

Weather-Temp-USA-1-8-2017-1024x495.jpg

FreedomAndForgiven, joe45c and Broot like this.