Slowwwww site

Discussion in 'TFF Technical Support Forum & Suggestion Box' started by PBDriver, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Kvasir

Kvasir Well-Known Member

I'm a network engineer and deal with these kinds of questions all day long.
    While a lot of things can contribute to internet speed, the biggest one is traffic.
    Just like your drive to work is impacted by how many cars are on the road, the internet slows with to many users.
    With many states in lock down, more people are home watching Netflix who would normally be at work.
    We are seeing the impact of that in a major way.

2. PBDriver

PBDriver Well-Known Member

Nope, don't know enough about the innards of a computer myself. I don't have a problem on any other sites ever, just this one.

I've got a Dell XPS8600, it's a little old but less than ten years. Running w10 home. It has a lot of memory, a huge hard drive, and has otherwise been very reliable all around. I connect through an android smart phone by way of a wired connection (tethered). I have decent throughput but not awesome. It serves my needs very adequately. So, this site is the anomaly.

3. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

I'm sure that the administration will look into. Hold please....

Rae Harrison and Kvasir like this.
  4. 2A-Jay

2A-Jay Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A slowdown is happening to us not just this site any site we go to. With all the people we have laid off being online all day long has taken a toll on our speeds. Late night and very early morning is usually no problems. I feel sorry for people limited to DSL Speeds. We have Charter/Spectrum as our provider.

Rae Harrison likes this.
  5. Rae Harrison

Rae Harrison Well-Known Member

Ive noticed the internet has been slow.... So many people at home.

joe45c likes this.
  6. Kvasir

Kvasir Well-Known Member

DSL is actually an advantage if you live close to the switching station. It suffers over distance.
    It's a lot to try to explain in simple terms. But interstate car traffic analogies are the best analogies that I can find. Same bottlenecks.

PBDriver and joe45c like this.
  7. PBDriver

PBDriver Well-Known Member

I lied earlier, I actually have an associates degree in internet technology, but I learned I hated it so I switched to business...which I also learned I hated. I just graduated in 2016 with my masters degree at the age of 59. It hasn't done a good thing for me at my age. Waste of time and money. Nevertheless, I could never fully understand the intricacies of how data traveled although I have a better understanding than many. The highway analogies are the best there is actually even if they are very over simplified.

All I remember is that data is broken down into packets of info, these small packs of info have numerous identifiers and checks to ensure they get to the correct destination where all the packets are held until the final packet gets there. This is where it gets super complicated. One piece of the data set might go from St. Louis to Chicago to London through New York to get to Kansas City. One might go through Springfield and straight across the state to get there. However, these days it's very rare for any packet to get lost. If one does then it's toast and the receiving computer pings back that there was a problem whereupon that packet is resent. All this takes microseconds.

From here I gave up. And that's the simplified version....

Kvasir likes this.
  8. Kvasir

Kvasir Well-Known Member

I keep it as simple as possible because not everybody has my background.
    Somebody once told me "if you can't explain it in terms a six year old would understand, then you don't really understand it yourself."
    I find that to be true in most cases.
    It's still basic electronics. Not magic.

PBDriver likes this.