The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9mm and i wanna find out my barrel diameter. what size lead ball do i want? can i use a regular lead cast bullet if its bigger? whats the proper method so i dont ruin the barrel. i have a Ruger p95

·
Registered
7,984 Posts
AR guy - the best/cheapest and easiest way to slug a barrel that I use is to get a pure lead fishing sinker a little larger than your bore and tap it thru from the breach end with a wooden dowel. Do not use steel or any other metal for this. Remember that you want the softest/purest lead you can find
and sinkers are usually pure lead.

You don't want to use a bullet because of it's harness. You can, but I'd say to just use a pure lead sinker. All you are trying to do is determine the bore diameter.

Or you can just take it to a gunsmith and have them do it. 9mm barrels should slug from .355 to .357, maybe even .358.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Another item that works good for slugging barrels is cast lead muzzleloader balls or buckshot. Buckshot...it's kinda iffy on what alloy is used, some are harder than pure lead. Muzzleloader balls...I don't think I've ever run across any that weren't cast or swaged from pure lead.

The #000 buck that I've got laying around here measures in at .360-.362". Which should give you enough diameter to slug a 9mm barrel. I've used em on .380 bores which is the same as most 9x19mm bores.

As an aside,
#4 buck works great for slugging .22 cal bores.
#0 buck works great for slugging .308-.310 bores.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Also, a lot of people oil the lead too, to help with getting it through the barrel. I have done it and it works great.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I have a 9mm and i wanna find out my barrel diameter. what size lead ball do i want? can i use a regular lead cast bullet if its bigger? whats the proper method so i dont ruin the barrel. i have a Ruger p95
take a 9mm lead boolit, tap it on the head with a hammer and it will increase the diameter around 0.01, just right for slugging

put some sizing wax on the slug, lightly oil your barrel, and gently tap it through with a metal rod and hammer (not steel, use brass, al, or something softer than steel)- dont use a wood dowel! then measure the slug diameter... then size your boolits at least 0.001 larger

·
Registered
7,984 Posts
Have to respectfully disagree with Caneman over the rod used to tap the slug thru the bore. In a PISTOL barrel, I'd use a hardwood dowel that is slightly undersized for the bore. Use a metal rod and you take a chance of scoreing the bore. I don't want brass or aluminum anywhere near the sharp edges of my rifleing. Hardwood won't do that, and you are only tapping the slug a few inches anyway. A rifle barrel is a different story.

Other than that, I do agree to lightly oil the bore. I would size my cast bullets .001 to .002 larger than the slug diameter.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I do caution the use of doweling --
Much of the doweling available today is NOT the US hardwood of yesteryear but some sort of semi-hardwood from ??? .
This stuff is rather long grained and has a tendency to split lengthwise.
It can really bugger up your day if it splits and jams the slug --
my tuppence

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for all the help, right now I'm getting lead fom a old sinker. Just gotta find a push rod now. Thanks agin guys.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I do caution the use of doweling --
Much of the doweling available today is NOT the US hardwood of yesteryear but some sort of semi-hardwood from ??? .
This stuff is rather long grained and has a tendency to split lengthwise.
It can really bugger up your day if it splits and jams the slug --
my tuppence
I will have to second caneman and gunboat's caution against using a wood dowel for the same reasons gunboat posted.
I'd be less worried about jamming some splinters into the bore than I would be about digging it out of my hand. :)

Brass and aluminum are softer than steel. They won't damage the bore as long as it's clean.
If the rod has some grit ground into it from rolling around in the tool box, then YES you could damage the bore.
But the same goes for dirty wood dowel too.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
for 9mm I use .36 cal muzzle loader balls. Coat them well with case lube like imperial sizing wax and drove them breech to muzzle with a plastic or wooden dowel. then mic them across the lands and grooves.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
**hint**

A nice plastic doel can be made by stealing a plastic coat hanger from the wifes laundry basket and cutting the long plastic rod on the bottom. Itll do 9mm thru .45 easy. anything over .45, just use a large diameter plastic coat hanger.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good idea JLA I'm on it. I was thinking of what I could use and that's perfect. ( plastic hanger ).

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
**hint**

A nice plastic doel can be made by stealing a plastic coat hanger from the wifes laundry basket and cutting the long plastic rod on the bottom. Itll do 9mm thru .45 easy. anything over .45, just use a large diameter plastic coat hanger.
Just added one of those to my material list too. Thanks for the tip Josh!
The one I cannibalized tonight seems a bit spongy for .45...I'll have to give it a try though.
I'm still keeping my selection of bronze round stock for most of the rifle barrel slugging stuff though.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
I have been using the same piece of blue coathanger for about 6 years. I think I was at the Laundromat with the wife one day and found it in the trash.. Of course when I saw it I didn't see a broken coat hanger. I saw a perfectly good utility hook and a plastic dowel rod with the excess un-trimmed from it. The one I use is about 3/8 of an inch in diameter. there are larger ones that are closer to 1/2" in diameter too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts