The Firearms Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found some Remington small rifle primers at a LGS today but they are 71/2 bench rest primers. What is different about bench rest primers compared to normal small rifle primers like CCI 400? I want to use them in 223 for plinking. Are they softer than CCI? I have a lee press that says do not use Federal but CCI, Winchester and I hope Remington will be ok and not go Boom when seating the primers.

·
Registered
233 Posts
BE CAREFUL !!! Remington small rifle primers have a disclaimer printed right on the box that warns against their use in "high pressure cartridges such as .222 Rem and .223 Rem." My guess is that the cup of the primer is relatively soft, and that punctured primers would cause problems that you don't need. Read the box before you buy them, and note their intended use. There are a couple local shops around here that have some Remington small rifle primers around here, but don't have anything else. Must be because of the warning on the box...

·
Registered
233 Posts
As for the "BENCHREST" designation, all it means is that they were produced with extra care to be more consistant. Each primer has a more precise amount of explosive in it. As a rule, you can interchange MATCH or BENCHREST primers with standard ones, but it will cost you more. Of course, if you're going to load match type rounds, then you will want match type primers.

Again, though... BE CAREFUL about them in a .223 load.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
BE CAREFUL !!! Remington small rifle primers have a disclaimer printed right on the box that warns against their use in "high pressure cartridges such as .222 Rem and .223 Rem." My guess is that the cup of the primer is relatively soft, and that punctured primers would cause problems that you don't need. Read the box before you buy them, and note their intended use. There are a couple local shops around here that have some Remington small rifle primers around here, but don't have anything else. Must be because of the warning on the box...
Whoa, Hold on there Hoss. Not exactly true as far as the Remington 7 1/2 primers are concerned. The Remington 6 1/2, yes, you are correct, the 7 1/2 No incorrect.

The Rem 6 1/2 has the warning on the box and the warning is also on Rem. web site. The Rem 7 1/2 is designed for higher pressure loads like the 223/5.56 and AR type rifles, this info is also available on Rem web site.

Back to you Madmax, the Rem 7 1/2 is a great primer, it is not soft and has a sturdy cup perfect for the 223/5.56 AR.

They are hard to find and preferred by many, Buy all you can cuz they are IMO the best.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Rem 7 1/2 are what my dealer sold me for my initial stock-up for .223. He told me that they are the best on the market for .223 loads. Very consistant. He has since run out and have had to buy another brand. I load for my Savage using the Rem primers and the AR loads gets the other primers.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. I will go back and get some more if they still have them. They were not on the shelf and I had to ask for them. They don't want one person buying all they have. The LGS here has 5.56 and 7.62 ammo. Could buy Federal 223 100 round box for $49.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
Thanks for the info. I will go back and get some more if they still have them. They were not on the shelf and I had to ask for them. They don't want one person buying all they have. The LGS here has 5.56 and 7.62 ammo. Could buy Federal 223 100 round box for $49.
Read the label carefully, make sure each box says 7 1/2.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.