Small town life

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1952Sniper, Mar 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/13/03 2:07:50 pm)
    Small town life
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Everyone of these is a BINGO for me

You Might Be From A Small Town If....

You can name everyone you graduated with.

You know what 4-H is.

You ever went to parties at a pasture, barn, or in the middle of a dirt road.

You used to cruise Main.

You schedule parties around the schedule of
    different deputies, since you know which
    ones would bust you and which ones wouldn't.

You ever went or thought about going spotlighting or snipe hunting.

You could never buy cigarettes because all the store clerks knew how old you were (and if you were old enough they'd tell your parents anyhow).

When you did find someone old enough and brave enough to buy cigarettes, you still had to go out to the country and drive on the back roads to smoke them.

You have ever gone home for Homecoming.

You had senior skip day.

The whole school went to the same party after graduation.

You don't give directions by street names. You give directions by references (turn by Nelson's house, go two blocks past Anderson's, and it's four houses left of the track field).

You can't help but date a friend's ex-girlfriend
    (or boyfriend).

You think kids that ride skateboards are weird.

The town next to you is considered "trashy" or "snooty", but is actually just like your town. And you still think that way .

You bragged to your friends because you got pipes on your truck for your birthday.

You see at least one friend a week driving a tractor through town.

Football coaches suggest that you stack hay bales for the summer to get stronger.

Directions aren't given using a stop light as a reference becasue there isn't a stoplight for miles.

You have ever taken a trailer, gun, or a dog to school on a daily basis.

You decide to walk somewhere for exercise and 5 people pull over and ask if you need a ride.

Your teachers call you by your older siblings names.

Your teachers remember when they taught your parents.

You can charge at all the local stores.

The closest mall is hours away.

You laugh your head off reading this because you know they're all true and forward it to everyone
    who lives in your town!

ysacres
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/13/03 2:51:03 pm)
    Re: Small town life
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So true 833 !
    The WSU football players use to come out to the farm and buck bales during the summer, and when our track team was competing for national championships, they would run down our dirt road, I actually got to know Henry Rono who held the world record in the 1000 meters, One day he came to the house and asked me if my Bull would chase them

SouthernMoss
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/13/03 3:00:36 pm)
    I grew up out in the county, and "town" was 6 mi away with a population of 2,000. All this stuff rings so true!

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/13/03 4:19:10 pm)
    Reply Re: Small town life
    .....if the favorite night-time sport was "cow tipping".

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/13/03 5:27:29 pm)
    Reply | Edit
    These are my additions, based on the town I live in:

You Might Be From A Small Town If....

...the only grocery store in town is a mom & pop store that blares country music over the whole store.

...road apples (horse poop for you city folks) is not an uncommon sight on main street.

...when you go to the courthouse to vote, they don't bother looking at your voter registration card because they already know who you are.

(here's one for you, warpig)

...if you can call the mayor to come clear snow off the road.

Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

bigboom338
    (3/13/03 5:46:28 pm)
    Moss, 2000 people out here is a big town, there's only 800,000 in the whole state. And piggy arent you in charge of riot control and assistant fire chief also
    "Aim small miss small"

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/13/03 5:50:41 pm)
    I make no claims on the asst fire chief thing. I am just a lowly pumper truck driver.

I guess we do have a bunch of M1 Garands locked up for the American Legion we could use for riot control. Never know we might be invaded by gophers or something.

kaylan1
    (3/13/03 6:46:02 pm)
    I work in a small town like this. Sometimes we trade shifts and throw them for a loop. (kids). They see me drive down the road and instantly, they call everybody they now and move the party out of town down a count road they think we don't know about

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/13/03 6:55:10 pm)
    Reply Hey what about...
    baling hay for a penny a bale...or pickin' green beans for 3 cents a pound...Law'd a'mercy the good ol' dayz!... ...

bullelk
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/13/03 7:44:01 pm)
    Reply Re: Hey what about...
    Warpig,

How does your Legion rate with M1 Garands. The Legion I belong to still has 1917 Enfields.
    "If All Else Fails, Read The Directions"
    If You Can Find The Damn Things!

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/14/03 6:50:51 am)
    Re: Hey what about...
    They got Garands. In pretty nice shape at that. The legions around us has bolt action. I have never been close enough to see if they are 03's or 1917's

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/14/03 10:33:37 am)
    Re: small towns
    yep WP here in the population center of the U.S.A. (pop. >200) it all rings true, can't qualify as being from around here unless you know where your great-grandparents are buried and you're related to over 50% of the residents

bullelk
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/14/03 4:02:18 pm)
    Reply Re: small towns
    fredneck,

What town would that be??

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/14/03 9:43:19 pm)
    bullelk
    that would be Edgar Springs, MO (cultural center of the universe too)

astute observer
    (3/14/03 10:03:35 pm)
    Reply Re: small towns
    Yup.....I can relate to just about all of these! Not only are my great-grandparents buried locally but also my great-great-grandparents and one great-great-great-grandfather. Isn't everybody's? Our son and his family live in the same house my great-grandfather bought in 1912.

The VFW here has Garands, we don't have a Legion. But the Legion in a neighboring town still had .30-40 Krags not too long ago!

The population here is 1100. The entire county is about 35,000, and it's a large county.

armedandsafe
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/14/03 10:08:50 pm)
    Man, I'd _love_ to have one of those Krags. Do you know anybody who knows somebody who....

Armed and Safe - not just a theory

bullelk
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/15/03 9:34:08 am)
    Bigboom,

You must be from Montana, that's the only state that I know of that has 800,000 people.

Montana's Motto is.------------------- "Montana Is The Way America Was"
    Please keep it that way.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/15/03 7:37:01 pm)
    He is from SD bullelk.

bullelk
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/15/03 7:44:26 pm)
    WP, What was I thinking, I thought SD had more people than that in it.

BTW, I was just kidding about that population sign, I don't have one but, i'm going to see if I can't find one somewhere and send it to you. What is the pop there??

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/15/03 7:53:52 pm)
    pop here is 220 give or take

We just got street signs. have to put them up as soon as it thaws.

armedandsafe
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/15/03 8:23:36 pm)
    We used to drive through a little town in Nevada which had a sign which said "Hole in the Road. Population: 5 (Days) 1 (Nights)"

Said the same thing on the other side of the sign.

Armed and Safe - not just a theory

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/16/03 7:22:02 am)
    These hit me where I live. I grew up 9 miles from town and town had 800 people. We had one tv station and going out to eat was driving 40 miles and eating at Hardees. I did not know who Fonzie was until I went to college. Saturday Night Live was too racy to show...they replaced it with Saturday night horror movies.

And guess what...I am doing my damndest to make sure my kids grow up in a small town too.

swede
    Wyoming Swede

Jay625
    (3/16/03 9:33:58 am)
    Central Indiana.......lived here 30 years....watched the kids walk all the way to school from my front porch. From that porch, I can see both ends of town, the one grocery store, both gas stations, the bank, the fast food joint (not a chain), the grain elevator, the elementary school, the fire dept, and the ambulance is parked behind my house.
    I bought this house with a handshake, and had been moved in for over two weeks when the bank president caught me on the street and we signed the sale papers on the hood of a car.
    It's real comfortable here. The bank president shovels the snow off the bank parking lot, and I have no trouble getting mail with just my name and zip code on it.

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/16/03 10:25:22 am)
    Jay625
    ain't it cool?

jp58c
    (3/16/03 10:27:08 am)
    Hey you fergit one or two
    Your school has all the grades k-12
    in one room
    You have a BIG town when you have a grocery store , gas station , and post office ,,,,,that aren' in the same building run by mom/pop
    Your church has diferent times for each denomination.
    Til I was 12 we had to use the outhouse,,,the indoor plumbing was for guests

And this was in upstate NY 70's

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/17/03 8:51:28 am)
    We didn't have all the grades in one room but there were 2 grades per roomm/teacher.

I wish we had a gas station

Trog777
    (3/18/03 10:50:41 pm)
    Reply Homesick
    Erect NC. Had a sign that was the same on both sides of the post. Guess it was only really 4 inches wide. 96 students in my school. 8 grades. 5 teachers including the principle. 2 hour bus ride.
    Everybody knew everybody. Couldn't get away with spit! Hell, knew every DOGS name within 5 miles of the house!
    Wife thinks we live in the boonies now cause Dominos don't deliver. Remember taking her home when we were dating. She saw a horse laying down scratching his back and wanted me to stop and "help him". Thought he was sick or something. Man I miss the farm sometimes, well, not them dang hardheaded pigs.

280freak
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/18/03 11:05:44 pm)
    Reply Re: Homesick
    Spent my first three grades in a one room, one teacher, eight grade country school. Eight rows, each row a different grade. (They had built a more modern elementary school by the time I was in the fourth grade)

Wouldn't trade that experience for anything.

tuckerd1
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/19/03 9:05:57 am)
    Reply Re: Homesick
    Paint Rock Valley HS, Princeton, Al. 158 students in K-12 this year. 11 teachers. Two classrooms have 2 grades each. Not the best of situations, but the students are learning. Scores are above state and county averages. Dropout rate below state and county averages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.