The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok hears the deal.
I do have a Harnady L&L press, single stage.
My girls are always fighting over whoes turn it is to,decape and flare the handgun brass.
So i was wondering. thease presse's are about 15 bucks. They are small. and not very robust.
I was thinking about geting two or three of them so the girls will stop fighting over whoe's turn it is to help me reload.
I dont plan on using it for resizing rifle brass.
But it should hold up to 9mm and 45ACP. decaping and flairing. Rght.
That tokes very little force.
What do ya think? is it worth it to keep the peace?
And I Realy love it that they Are intarested in reloading, and want to keep them interested.
Here is a pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
I'd rather opt for finding a used Lee O-frame. I'm not keen on the knock-off "Smart Reloader" stuff. Appears to just be cheaply made Chinese knock-offs of Lee and other brands.

·
Super Moderator
31,892 Posts
It's nice that they are interested and want to help. Looking at the Smart press, that link on the bottom of the lever looks awful weak to me. May I suggest the Lee loader C frame press. I realize that they're $10 more but they look just a little bit sturdier.

·
Premium Member
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.
Just found a lee 1000 pro NIB on craigs list $100.
Now if he will just call me back, hope he still has it.

·
Registered
19,150 Posts
you can buy the classic lee C press for 20-25$.. and they look better IMHO than that one pictured. that bottom piece bothers me.

as for the lee.. I decap with mine, and it has resized at least 1500 .30-06, 300 .270 and 400 .30-30 plus about 250 misc other assorted bottlenecked rifle brass. NO issues. and that's a bottom line cheap lee press. I had that before i got my rock chucker rcbs press.

I'd set in that room for 4 hours at a tim deprimg and resizing brass in batches. did that for a few weeks straight on evenings i did not work... had to switch arms every now and then to keep from wearing my shoulder out.

·
Super Moderator
47,518 Posts
I have never heard of Smart until reading this thread, it does look pretty cheap. I agree with the others about getting a couple of used Lee single stages. I did a quick eBay search and found a bunch of them for less than $35.00.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I looked into the Smart untill I saw that they were not American made. Then I kept em in the back of my mind till I won my lee in June's giveaway. After lookin at it further and usin my Lee I have to agree that the lower end looks weak.

·
Premium Member
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not going to get it.
I did pick up that lee 1000 pro,for a$100 bucks.
That should keep the girls happy for a while.
I Will Set it up to decape and flair, for them.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
STOP! Do not buy that "press".:mad: I fell for the advertising and low price about a year ago and bought one. It's such low quality that I wouldn't even give it away (I keep it on my reloading cabinet so I can see it every time I open the door, to remind me to think before you buy). I tried mine first on decapping/sizing .38 Special brass. Gritty, misaligned ram made it very difficult to run a simple 38 case through the carbide die, even after I lubed the case. So, I tried priming some already sized brass; nope! the ram was so sloppy I had to guide the ram/primer pin into the case by hand every time (ram prime unit). The only good thing about the one I bought is it has a nice smooth ball and a fair paint job. (I'm not new to reloading, I have 4 other presses)

I think this press would be so frustrating to a new reloader that they would give up reloading after the first try. A Lee Loader (mallet style) is a much better way to start and for simple jobs the small Lee "Reloader" press is 1,000 times better than that Smart Reloader crap...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.