The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
GUNZILLA
6,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at the base exchange yesterday and saw they had a SW 41 for sale. Was going to buy it but decided to wait as my iMac has to be replaced and have a vehicle in the shop. My question I have is that I’ve read some reviews where there may be some QC issues on the new models and others only swear on the older models. Any 41 owners here that will shed light on this. Don’t want to pay $1380 for one if they are not as reliable, might consider a Volquartsen Mamba.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
I have a 1997 model 41 that I love, cant speak about anything newer. I can tell you that the 41 is one of the finest 22 pistols made and overall they are very reliable and ridiculously accurate. With premium ammo mine will put them thru the same hole time after time. I have used it at a few bowling pin shoots, just plain fun
S&W Mod 41 (2).JPG

·
GUNZILLA
6,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does th scope not interfere with the slide possibly creating stove pipes? Is that a 5 or 7 inch barrel?

I have a 1997 model 41 that I love, cant speak about anything newer. I can tell you that the 41 is one of the finest 22 pistols made and overall they are very reliable and ridiculously accurate. With premium ammo mine will put them thru the same hole time after time. I have used it at a few bowling pin shoots, just plain fun
View attachment 242914

Reactions: tedwitt

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Does th scope not interfere with the slide possibly creating stove pipes? Is that a 5 or 7 inch barrel?
No issues with the Red Dot at all, and its a 5" barrel. Wish I had a seven just to play with but I never wanted to pony up the cash for the extra barrel

Reactions: ms6852

·
No Power Options
13,323 Posts
There are a few years that are bad and there not many. At that price it better be boxed original and not a recent model either. I have to say early models just had a better finish/polishing.
If you really want one, this is one I would shop around a lot for because they come around often.
For that money you might find an Early Hi Standard 10X depending on year.
I had 25 High Standards, but not one out preformed any custom Ruger I built and were always more reliable (Ruger)
But my Military Hi Standards were always sweet shooters, just good in the hand.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I've had a few MKII Rugers and liked them all. I wish I'd kept the one with the Witchita rib. But the 41 just feels so much better in the hand and is just in a different league. I won't dispute the accuracy you can get with the Ruger though. I never did like the angle of the grip. I always had to spend a moment to get it right. Never have handled the Ruger with the 45 grip. I haven't handled a 41 since the mid '80s and that was the longer one. If I could afford the 41 it would be a no brainer for me. Haven't looked closely at the newer ones.

Maybe someone can give you an accurate comparison of new vs older models.

·
GUNZILLA
6,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I bought my Browning Buckmark I was looking at the Ruger MKII as well. I came home with the Buckmark simply because I liked the feel of the grip over the one from Ruger. I believe both are equally matched when it comes to reliability and accuracy as I have fired both. Did not try the Smith 41 when I saw it but will try it out tomorrow when I get the truck out of the shop. If I like it I’ll be coming home. Won’t be putting pictures up until my new iMac arrives as we had to special order it as all apple stores are closed and don’t know how to transfer images to my iPad from the phone. Gotta research it but just being lazy.

·
Administrator
11,869 Posts
don’t know how to transfer images to my iPad from the phone. Gotta research it but just being lazy.
Email them to yourself. I take picture with phone and then email to myself. They are then on my laptop and phone.

·
GUNZILLA
6,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. Going to pick it up today.

Reactions: Bigdog357

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
The slide and barrel are independent of each other. The barrel is mounted to the frame which the scope is mounted to the barrel. The slide is a separate component.

Not in any way to discourage you from buying it, but the Model 41 is built once a year in small batches, and from what I have read and heard, is that the pistol is only built when there is a sufficient number of orders, so in essence they are sold before they are built. Also. There is supposedly a decreasing number of old guard trained and experienced staff at S&W that know the intricacies of the Model 41 which are hand built and tuned. I do know that only Target velocity 22LR ammo (1050 FPS) is advised to shot out them. You should be able to shoot Standard high velocity 22LR ammo (1200-1250 FPS) out of the modern Model 41’s, but to not shoot Hyper velocity ammo (1400 + FPS), (I.E. CCI Stingers, Remington Yellow Jackets, Aguila Supermaximum) This ammo will batter the slide do to it being higher pressure ammo, plus the hyper velocity ammo never is very accurate. This probably do to the short bearing surface because of the bullets only weighing at 30 grains.

When I was in the U.S.Army stationed at Ft. Hood, there was an indoor 25 yard/meter gun range for 22LR training, that I could go to and sign out either a S&W Model 41 7” barrel or a Highstandard Citation 5.5” barrel, and would be issued a 50 round box of Remington Green Tag ammo. I could buy an additional 50 rounds for $2.00 if I remember correctly. I most of the time shot the S&W. Love those pistols. Super sweet trigger and with the long barrel, it balanced perfectly. I have shot accurasized Ruger Mk 2-3 both 6” and 10” Heavy barrels, Colt Woodsman Target Heavy barrel, Browning Buckmark 6” Target, and Highstandard Citation and Victor, and the S&W 41 with the 7” barrel balanced like it was an extension of of my arm.

·
GUNZILLA
6,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just went to the PX to buy it and if felt great in the hand. It had the 7” barrel but sadly walked away as they only had the display gun and the grips on it were poorly finished. The bottom of the grips had a space where both sides did not meet almost half the width of a dime and the bottom of them were badly scratched. I would have taken the gun had they given me a discount as I was going to buy grips for it anyway. But since they did not offer one I told them that at $1389.00 dollars for it I expected better.

I did go online and they had an upgraded version for $1699.00 with the rail to mount a red dot or scope, rosewood handles, and an adjustable trigger stop. This one has the 5” barrel but it is not a biggy as I plan to buy the additional barrel sizes for it anyway. Now I have to wait for it to ship to the PX which sucks and really I don’t see how people living in other states can stand it where they have the 10 day waiting period to purchase firearms.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I miss the PX. Leaving Viet Nam in 1969, I was trying to decide between an AMX and a TR7.

I never saw the PX section where I could order any gun of my dreams.

I'm glad you have that offering and hope you really enjoy your new 41. Wow.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I miss the PX. Leaving Viet Nam in 1969, I was trying to decide between an AMX and a TR7.

I never saw the PX section where I could order any gun of my dreams.

I'm glad you have that offering and hope you really enjoy your new 41. Wow.
Big difference between a AMX and a TR7. I would had gone for the TR7. An old high school friend of mine had a TR7 that he and I threw a stupid amount of money at and made a track car from it. We raced it, well actually Fred was behind the wheel, but I was the one who re-engineered it for racing and fid all the chassis set and balance. I did drive it some on track days at Waterford and Gingerman in Michigan. We also raced it at Mid Ohio, and Road America. We raced at SCCA sanctioned events.

As for buying and ordering merchandise from the PX while in the Army, it was all Nikon camera equipment, and lots of it. The PX never had any of types of firearms I was or am interested in. Bought firearms from local dealers.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I did order and put a $50 payment on the TR7 but when I came home I found a great deal on a 67 MGB with an Abarth exhaust, wire wheels, trunk rack and tonneou cover. I came home in late May and by the end of August I'd put 20,000 miles on it and some kid racing around on a back country road didn't see me coming up a small incline into a right hand turn and came around the turn on my side. I had tire tracks down my hood, the carbs were broken off the manifold, cracked the windshield pillar post and broke my left knee and dislocated my rt angle. Also some chrome or something just missed my eye. Left VN with hardly a scratch other than hearing loss and a few small injuries.

But part of the MGB lived to race at Sebring and probably at Lime Rock in Conn. also. I ran a parts room for a British Leland Motors dealership that raced a MGB roadster and then a GT. They used my cylinder head, worked it over and it went on the race car which they flipped on tv at Sebring. So I never did get the TR7 and even though the AMX looked kind of cool, I did drive one once and they road pretty hard. I tried to replace it with a new Datsun 240Z but they had too long of a waiting list.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts