smith and wesson combat masterpiece

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by fishguts, Jul 28, 2010.

1. fishguts

fishguts Member

i bought this a wile ago from a old fella that said he hasent shot a box of shells through it. 1971 sales slip and all the other stuff is still in the box. not a flaw on it. any rough value ideas? its a 22 cal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The .22 Combat Masterpiece, later called the Model 18, was one of the finest .22 revolvers ever made. It was the short barrel and ramp sight version of the K-22 and was intended as a training revolver for police officers armed the .38 Special Combat Masterpiece and the Model 19 .357 revolver.

You have a jewel. Value? With the target trigger and target hammer, and almost new in the box, it could bring close to $800. Almost too nice to shoot, but I suggest you do. You won't find a better .22 revolver. Period.

Jim

3. Thiokol

Thiokol New Member

I hate to rain on your parade but the wear to the ejector rod and rather heavy turn ring would seem to indicate that this revolver was fired considerably more than one box of ammo. But if only one box was fired through it, it was certainly played with quite a bit.

As to value, $800.00 is about $200.00 to $250.00 too high. It is, after all. a used gun. Were it truly NIB with burn rings on only three charge holes, then $800.00 would not be out of the question.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Good points. My monitor is not working too well right now and the picture is not so good; I took the "box of ammo at face value. FWIW, I suspect it has been played with a lot rather than fired. Dry firing with those guns is addictive.

Jim

5. Thiokol

Thiokol New Member

I've seen so many S&W rimfires with dimples on the rear of the cylinder from dry firing that it could make a grown man cry. I've even seen a couple where the dimplng was so profuse that a cartridge could not be seated flush. For the life of me I can't understand why some folks won't use snap caps or fired cases for dry fire practice.

6. fishguts

fishguts Member

na Thiokol like i said there is less than a box through it. the camera really brought out them marks with the flash. i can rub them out with my thumb. ps the remakes of this gun from smith carrys over a 1000.00 price tag srp. i sure wouldnt take less for a mint 40 year old one, would you?
    thanks jim i didnt know the history of it. i just cant get myself to carry it. things get banged up on my trapline. i will either let her set for the kids or trade it for something i will use.

7. Thiokol

Thiokol New Member

It's your gun. Believe whatever you want. Unless you bought the gun new and have firsthand knowledge of the round count, you only have the old guy's word for the one box of ammo being fired. I will tell you that I've been collecting S&W revolvers for about 40 years and I know ejector rod wear and a cylinder turn ring when I see them.

8. fishguts

fishguts Member

yup i see. you can tell more from your monitor screen than i can holding it in my hand. your good. thanks

9. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

FWIW, The way the Model 18 is designed you can't put a dimple on the cylinder face by dry firing it. You can dry fire it untill the cows come home and not damage it.:) I think I have to agree that it hasn't been fired very much.

10. Thiokol

Thiokol New Member

The model 18 is no different in design than the Model 17. Both can, and will be dimpled by dry firing without a snap cap or fired case. I have seen many of both with dimpled cylinders.

11. fishguts

fishguts Member

well i can assure you this one is not dimpled.

12. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

At the present time I only own two S&W .22 revolvers, a Model 18 and a Model 63. Both have recessed cylinders and neither can be damaged by dry firing. They can not be dimpled or pinged by dry firing. I don't know what you've been looking at but it wasn't a Model 18. I'm sitting here with both on my lap as I type this and I can state unequivocally that neither cylinder can be damaged by dry firing. I have seen old .22's damaged by dry firing and ironed out my share to repair them, both rifles and handguns. When the Model 18 was used as a police training weapon we were told to practice dry firing them to improve trigger control. And dry fire them we did, hundreds of times with no damage. I have dry fired my Model 63 and 18 so many times it can't be counted with no damage what so ever. Sorry about that, I believe you are thinking of another firearm. Added: There may be other valid reasons for using snap caps. To save wear and tear of the dry impact of the hammer falling and perhaps metal fatigue on the moving parts. I'm from the old school and I've never used snap caps on my modern guns, so far so good. You do have to be very careful on .22s. Many of the cheaper guns would allow the firing pin to make contact the with chamber rim with the results as noted. Most of the decent modern guns are designed so that firing pin never makes physical contact with the chambers edge. I had one .22 with a small cut out which surprised me, I always believed that a support/anvil was needed for the firing pin to act against..

13. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I don't own a .22 Combat Masterpiece, but I own a K-22 and if it were going to be damaged by dry firing, it would have been damaged thousands of "snaps" ago. Some of the older 22/32 guns (until 1935) did not have recessed head chambers but all the K-22's did. That does not rule out a firing pin being too long or too large, either from the factory or from a gunsmith, but the proper firing pin should fit into the recess and should not reach its bottom.

Jim

14. fishguts

fishguts Member

thanks guys for all the input. when the old fella told me he wanted to sell a smith and wesson 22 and he wanted 250.00 i told him id take it sight unseen. when he came in with that blue box i was real happy. he used to hunt with a few others i know from here at deer camp. that gun has been to camp with him 3 times in a sheep skin lined case thats shown in the pic. he was happy. on the adirondack gunshop sales slip he paid $171.00 for it the holster and the case bran new.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010