smith and wesson cylinder rotates backwards

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by 38 special, Apr 20, 2009.

1. 38 special

38 special New Member

WHy is it that I always hear people say colt revolvers turn backwards? Since Sam Colt INVENTED revolvers and colt's cylinders turn clockwise ,into the frame, then all the OTHER revolver makers just Followed colt but had the cylinders turn counterclockwise. I always say its the OTHER companies Smith and wesson) etc. that turn backwards. Is there some other history I'm missing?

2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

there is no backwards or forwards it just differnt there is no value to the colt revolving one way and the smith the other.

3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I have to add, it always annoyed me they couldn't rotate the same way. Easier for training and switching from one to the other. Also the cylinder latch, the Colts pull, while the Smiths push. I know its not huge potatoes but you would have thought the industry might have agreed a standard. Push seems easier and more natural anyway. And while still in old person mode, whats with Ruger? they had to find a 3rd way...

Oh and 38, there is no way Sam Colt invented revolvers. They were around long before he was...

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2009
  4. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

never bothered me. the cylinder release on the dan wesson bothered me . wrong location. now what really gets to me is the few colt lovers that claim how much better the rotation and the cylinder release is than a smith and wesson but can not back it up with any facts. they are convinced if it's not a colt it's crap. like the wild claims that colt is alot more accurate than a anything else. they must have forgot about the dan wesson line of revolvers , the most accurate revolvers known to man.

5. 38 special

38 special New Member

I was reading the colt history and supposedly Sam Colt was on ship at sea and carved a wooden cylinder with notches after seeing the "capstan"? -whatever that is on the ship (I'm not a sailor) He then started making revolvers of course there were many trials and errors and improvements till he got one that worked really well. But the book does give him credit for making the first and best working revolvers.
    IS the revolver you posted perhaps an early colt.(i dont have the colt book here to check)

6. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Oscarmyer. It also bothers me when loyal owners start to make unreasonable claims of outstanding performance and reliability.

There is nothing wrong with being a loyal fan of a particular make, I am with Browning, but be realistic.

7. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

No sir, the revolver in the picture is a flintlock, and would have been made when Sam was a gleam in his mothers eye!

Dont get me wrong, Sam Colt was the giant of the arms industry we think of him as being. There is no question about that. He was however a businessman, not the innovative inventor and designer some think of him as. The theory is that Sam, when in London as a young man visited the Royal Armouries in the Tower where revolvers such as the one in the picture would have been on display. I have heard the ships capstan story, but the fact is the revolving cylinder was in use well before he 'designed' it.

Fact is, Sam Colt was no JM Browning.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2009
  8. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

story is sam colt got his idea from the ships wheel which if i'm not mistaken turns both directions :D

9. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Turns in both directions, so we have various company’s whose revolver cylinders turn in two directions. Depends if one is standing fore or aft. Makes sense to me.

10. 38 special

38 special New Member

You're right. I have a ruger security six that shoots better group than my python.I think with gun owners it is a ford dodge chevy thing, many times. I admit I like Colts partly becaise of some nostalgia thing and I just like their looks and feel. I never had a Dan Wesson but I have read they are very accurate. I just never liked their looks. I had a Taurus but it did not shoot good groups and I also admit because it wasnt made in USA I never got another one. I have smith and wesson revolvers and I have one that is extremely accurate but still like Colts.I have a detective special that shoots to point of aim at upto fifteen yards and closer and shoots 1 inch group at seven yards when I bear down and sight picture is perfect but I have another that shoots similar group but is 2 inch to the left so with the fixed sights that drives me nuts. But you areright you cant ignore the facts and when people arent perfectly objective you get alot of opinions that arent true. To be objective you have to look at the performance of each gun alone.

11. 38 special

38 special New Member

Thanks (again) for good info. I like to keep learning and the more truth the better. I like to know as much as I can. Guns and gunsmithing and the history has always fascinated me.

12. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    A capstan is a deckwinch used to haul the anchor. Looks like a barrel with holes around the top for inserting pegs to turn turn it with

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  13. Jay

Jay Active Member

Interesting thread.... I have Colt, and S&W revolvers, but no Ruger revolvers. I really don't care which way the cylinders rotate, but I like the S&W release much more that the other two.

14. 38 special

38 special New Member

Oscar,Colt claimed that the cylinder turning INTO the frame vs.away from frame makes colt revolvers stronger. I would have to do a structural analysis considering the bearing,bending,shear,compression and tension stresses on the hand,rachet,bolt(cylinder stop) etc. and somehow figure how the gas pressure when the gun goes off transfers to the various components.It would be one heck of a mechanical engineering undertaking. I wonder if Colt,Smith and Ruger have such calculations. It seems lile they would. It would be very interesting to have a look at the actual engineering analyses.

15. Jay

Jay Active Member

OK, somebody gimme the dunce cap..... :eek: How is it determined that a cylinder is turning into the frame? :confused: I've been shooting for many years, and this is the first time I've heard this terminology..... no, that doesn't mean I've heard everything else, either... ;)