The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
#2 A Smith and Wesson Break Top Double Action Revolver. It has an automated extractor when broke open. Desperately needs a cleaning as, like the other two, have been in my mother's attic without my knowledge for 20+ years. Don't know how much to try to get off in cleaning as to not ruin it. Haven't been able to find a cal marking, but 380 acp are too small as that is the only ammo I have on hand atm. I don't know the model, best guess is a third edition? Serial number 180XXX on multiple locations. Any help would be appreciated in model, cal, appraisal, or cleaning suggestions. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
It takes 38 Smith & Wesson (not 38 Smith & Wesson Special). Yours looks like it has a blued barrel and a nickel plated frame. Is that really so?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, frame and trigger guard are blued with nickle frame and cylinder (later two have only serial numbers I have found without disassembling as I don't quite know how with that spring loaded ejector on the cylinder [odd double pronged tool seems to be required]).

·
Registered
17,291 Posts
Open gun. Lift rear sight and hold up. Grab hold of cylinder and pull back, while unscrewing normally (counterclockwise). Cylinder unscrews and comes right off. You have to pull it back slightly so the threads catch. Otherwise it will just turn.

To replace the cylinder, lift the sight again, put the cylinder on the pin and screw clockwise. You'll know that it is down far enough when the sight will go completely down.

A DA38 with a SN in the 180000s is a 3rd Model, made between 1884 and 1895. With that low a number, I'd guess closer to 1885. S&W does not recommend shooting smokeless ammo in any of their guns made prior to 1907. I would not shoot it, if it was mine, unless I could find some black powder ammo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the dismantling advice and the dating. Serial under the rear sight also matches. I wasn't planning on shooting this as I didn't know enough about it and hasn't been checked out. Much appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts