The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17,297 Posts
I'm puzzled.

Looks like a 34. J-frame. To my knowledge they don't make J-frame target stocks. I would have thought 18, K-frame, which could have targets, but the cylinder does not look large enough for a K.

The front sight has been modified. Drastically.

Looks like the barrel has been shortened. Normally the barrel markings are centered. They appear to be slightly too far forward. Looks like a 4" gun has been turned into a 3 1/2".

The "oversized hammer" is a target hammer. It came stock on the gun. The "overmolded trigger" is a trigger shoe, and if you were to remove it the gun's value would increase.

I have no idea why you would say it's a "special target pistol".

And it's not an "LR CTG", it's a "22 Long Rifle Cartridge".

Oh, and pictures are easier to examine if you orient them correctly. If that top one was rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise, it would be much easier to examine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Alpo. All helpful, as I have never purchased or sold a gun. Inherited this 30 years ago and it has been sitting in my closet. Any misrepresentations are mine without intent.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,297 Posts
Based on the re-oriented picture (thank you) - maybe the barrel has not been cut. But the front sight still looks to be.

The top one is what you have appear to have.

What's stamped inside the crane?

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Maybe it's just the pics but it looks re blued to me.
Clue is the streak near the muzzle and no bolt track on the cylinder.
Never the less it's nice

·
Registered
2 Posts
Other than the barrels (pinned/unpinned) and the speed loader cut in the grips (these grips are from my 1960's Mod. 15) this looks just like my Mod. 18. Also, S&W did make (wood) target grips for the J frame. I have a set & had them on my Mod. 63 for a while. If any of Y'all would like to see them, let me know & I'll try to post a pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am 99% sure this gun has NOT been re-blued.

The numbers stamped inside the crane are 68668.

How do this uninformed amateur go about selling this gun?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I am 99% sure this gun has NOT been re-blued.

The numbers stamped inside the crane are 68668.

How do this uninformed amateur go about selling this gun?
Below that number should be the model number.

Like I said it's probably a model 48 K-22.

Mine also has a CTG 22 the barrel and it's a 2008 production.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Looking at a Gun Digest from 1956 this little revolver looks like a Combat Masterpiece which was the post war K-22 with a four inch barrel and a ramped front sight. The weight is what will give it away. the Combat masterpiece should weigh in at about 2 pounds while the kit gun (Chief Special frame J) would only weigh in at a pond and a half (23 ounces). Very nice find

·
Registered
17,297 Posts
To me, the cylinder shown in post #1, 2nd pic, does not look like the cylinder in post #8. That's why I think it's a J. It does not look big enough to be a K-frame cylinder.

Pull the grips and give the SN on the bottom of the grip.

If the number inside the crane is the SN, then the gun is pre-war, and they weren't putting the SN inside the crane then. If the number has letter(s) with it, that is part of the number. 12345 is not the same as K12345 or 3K12345.

Trying to sell it before you know what you have is, in my opinion, the wrong way to go. Find out what it is, first.

·
Registered
17,297 Posts
And just for the record, a Model 48 is a 22 Magnum. His gun is clearly marked Long Rifle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, what a fantastically helpful forum this is proving to be.

Numbers on the cylinder 228319

Pulled the grips and the number is K 2283 xx

Why have I been advised against showing the full SN?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Wow, what a fantastically helpful forum this is proving to be.

Numbers on the cylinder 228319

Pulled the grips and the number is K 2283 xx

Why have I been advised against showing the full SN?
Hmmmm K 2283, guess it was a K22.

Good luck Lary, nice piece.

·
Premium Member
3,922 Posts
Alpo, how about a 1954 mfg. of a K-22 Combat Masterpiece "Pre-Model 18". That is a guess but the 5 screws and the serial # would match up. The diamond grips I think are age correct but I don't know if they were available on that model originally.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Nice shooter, not of collector quality because of some finish wear, buggered screws, and marks which will be left on the trigger when the trigger shoe is removed. Probably would sell for $500 at a gun show.

·
Registered
17,297 Posts
I don't think it's a reblue. Post 4, pic 1, you can faintly see the cylinder ring. I think the flash washed it out on all the other pix. There appears to be holster wear on the muzzle, and also on the front edge of the cylinder, although that could be flash-glare.

Interesting. My book says they came with target hammer and target trigger. If it's got a target trigger, why in the world would someone put a trigger shoe on it?

While the diamond grips are "age-correct", I believe they oughta be Magnas, and not Targets.

Could be wrong, though. Hell, I was wrong about the frame size. :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts