The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smith Corona 1903 A3 ballpark value

21K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  sharps4590 
#1 ·
I have acquired this smith corona 1903a3 from my grandfathers passing. Just looking to see if it's worth shooting or worth to much to do so. Any info will be much appreciated.
Symbol Air gun
Religious item Symbol
Finger Hand Design Pattern Electronic device
Hand Finger Material property Tire Automotive tire
Hand Arm Finger Material property Leg
Rim Shotgun
Wood Table
Muffler Pipe Auto part Automotive exhaust Exhaust system
Auto part Muffler Cylinder Metal

See less See more
#4 ·
It's hard to determine is something if safe to shoot or not by looking a a bunch of pictures, with a good many of those being very blurry.

Worth shooting, now that is a different story, any gun is worth shooting and from the pictures that are not blurry, that one looks to be in pretty good shape.

Value, again with those pictures, it is hard to place a value on the rifle. Take some good clear pictures in natural sunlight, showing the both sides of the entire rifle, and close ups of any and all markings on the rifle. After those pictures, I bet someone will be able to get very close on the value. In the meantime, if you are thinking about selling it, please don't take a penny less than $800 for it, until you get a good value.

#5 ·
Still waiting for your pictures to fully develop on my machine. Whilst I'm waiting, three things: If you are not certain of the safety of this rifle to fire, have it checked over by a good gunsmith. From all I'm seeing so far - it looks like an unmolested 1903A3. So far all I'm getting is a Smith Corona barrel.

Another other thing is it sounds as if you are not very familiar with firearms. The 1903A3 is a fairly large sized rifle caliber to start learning firearms basics with. If you are not familiar with shooting and firearms safety - you might be better off not trying to learn with this rifle. If you ARE into shooting, a 1903A3 is a fantastic rifle. The sights are very easy to use. Especially if yours is a 4 groove barrel - it should be very accurate with proper ammunition.

Lastly, you inherited this rifle from your grandfather. I would be very hard pressed to sell off anything that I inherited from my grandfather. But if you are not really into shooting, and or if you are unable to properly care for it - this rifle is far too nice to go to waste. A sincere tip of my hat to your grandfather for taking such good care of that rifle. Good advice from George - the value quite easily approaches $800, and since these are getting scarcer every day - maybe even more.

#6 ·
i appreciate the replies. I am very well versed in firearms. I am not really worried about the safety of the rifle. My concern is if it's worth a high dollar amount then I really don't want to be shooting it at all. But if it's not then I would like to enjoy it. I have seen many 1903 Springfields unfortunately most of them sporterized. I have never seen any old firearm in this condition before. Guns are made to be fired and enjoyed but every time u do u wear down the life of the firearm. Not looking to sell it by any means. I know the pics aren't the best (horrible lighting). I will try to post better ones asap. Again appreciate any ballpark numbers.

#7 · (Edited)
That is some great news! Your rifle is very near the top of what collectors love to find. You can go either way with it: keep it and use it, or sell it off. You won't wear this rifle out. Just be careful if you go to sell it. I'd search out what near-unfired 1903A3s are going for. Double check the metal stamps to make sure all of the parts are Smith-Corona and not Remington (they also made these rifles). You need to buy a specialized book on 1903A3 markings.

In my lifetime I've only "worn out" 2: One was a light weight aluminum framed .45 automatic (AR) that I fired so much I cracked the frame. The other was a National Ordinance copy of an M1 Carbine that I fired so much (many thousands of rounds) that eventually I wore out 1 bolt, 5 firing pins, 5 or 6 extractors, cracked the stock and finally cracked the receiver. Both of these were back when surplus GI ammo was a penny-a-shot, and being a young bachelor with a decent job/sports car/apartment and no bills or drugs, I bought lots of that ammo!.

#8 ·
First off I'm sorry to hear of the passing of your grandfather. Secondly congratulations on a fine inheritance.

Evidently there is regional differences. Locally a Smith-Corona 03-A3 will do quite well to bring $600 in the same condition as yours with most going from between $400 and $500. The Remington 03-A3's will bring around the $800 mentioned.

With casual, fun shooting you aren't going to devalue the rifle. If you have concerns use cast loads. With the fine sights of the 03-A3 and good, cast bullet loads they are a lot of fun at distance, out to 700-800 yards.

#9 ·
The S-Cs in your area are definitely a LOT cheaper than they are priced here! Heck, I've seen lots of beat-up 1903A3s sell at Gun Shows here for $650. I can't remember them selling for less. Even with all of the rifles I own, if I found a decent 1903-anything for $400 - the only thing that would beat me to the ATM to get out the cash would be the tips of my sneakers;).

The only possible doubts to the safety of this rifle (to me) would be head space. Obviously the rifle has been fired very little. I cannot see the bolt markings clearly enough to determine if they are original to the Smith-Corona. That is the only possible defect I can see - a swapped bolt (happens a lot) and that would require a head space inspection.

#10 ·
Funny, isn't it Jim. I've walked away from several S/C 03-A3's at $400 because I thought they were too high. That was as short as a year ago. I have no explanation as to why they're not more highly regarded locally. I much prefer them to the straight '03 and they seem to be holding if not increasing in value. I foolishly traded a very nice Remington -A3 with a two groove barrel I didn't have $300 in and I bought it off the shelf at a local gun shop. That might have been 20 years ago, give or take, so that obviously needs to be taken into consideration.

Probably for me it's because I'm not in to military rifles nor am I particularly enamored of the 30-06 cartridge, as good as it is.

#17 ·
Thank you, absolutely beautiful rifle!!

The rifle was manufactured in 1944, the barrel was made in 10/43 and is most likely the original one.

I will stick with my ballpark figure of about $800 for the value and since I am not an expert in anything, it is merely a questimate!!

#18 ·
Probably for me it's because I'm not in to military rifles nor am I particularly enamored of the 30-06 cartridge, as good as it is.
Eeeeek! Burn him! He's a Witch!!!!:eek: NOT into military rifles and NOT enamored with the .30-06? (THE single greatest cartridge ever designed by Man) Are you SURE you're an American?;)

Just kidding, Sharps!:D To each his own. I'm at the other end of the spectrum - I LOVE the Springfield 03/03A3 design and am a huge fan of the .30-06 cartridge for everything from plinking to big game hunting to serious target shooting.

#19 ·
I might be a warlock but I ain't no witch......:D

I do like and admire the 03-A3 and I fear the next S/C I come across at 4 bills will follow me home. I'm not so much in awe the '03 and that's entirely because of the aperture sight on the A3. Springfield did steal the action design from Mauser and ended up paying them royalties after WWI...but then that's probably why I like it...it's almost pure Mauser. Put aperture sights on a 98 and you have basically the same thing. Truth be told Springfield stole the cartridge design too, just lengthened the case 7mm and shrunk the caliber .015. Head, rim, shoulder angle and body taper are for all practical purposes identical the 8 X 57. Virtually anything based on the 8 X 57 case can be easily made from readily available 30-06 brass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.