The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have narrowed my search to a Ruger SP101 4" 22 for 580.00 plus tax or a Smith K22 Masterpiece about 30 yrs old in great condiditon for 600.00 cash...
I like them both but am leaning towards the Smith....
They both seem like they are overpriced ut I am unable to find much out there...I do see some Heritage and High Standard but I do not believe the quality is the same

Opinions ??

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
I don't think that Smith is over priced at all. Almost any S&W pistol will sell for $700 if it is in good shape. Would be proud to own either one. But for the price difference, I would have to choose the S&W!

·
Registered
18,161 Posts
Yep. I've got an 8 3/8 Model 17 (that's the K22 Target Masterpiece). Too long for carrying, so I was looking for a shorter one. Could not find one. Bought a 4" SP101, so I had a "carrying revolver". Six months later, found a Model 18 (that's the K22 Combat Masterpiece - 4" barrel, ramp front sight). That Ruger hasn't been out of the safe since the 18 got here. The Ruger is hell for strong, and it's stainless, which, in Florida, is a good thing. But the action of the Smith is just SO MUCH BETTER.

For 20 dollars difference - Smith, no question.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
the sp101 will not dissapoint, but at 580 seems a bit high. but ruger gets my vote I think

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
My choice would be the Smith, even 30yrs old.
I've wanted the Ruger KSP-242-8 since they
introduced it, and for a year could not find one available,
or I would have had one already. A pic still hangs on my wall.
I am a huge Ruger fan, and probably had more Rugers in
the last 50yrs than anything. The only issue I have
with this one is the SP platform, as they are notorious for
having very gritty trigger groups. It has been placed on the
back burner for now, although the pic still remains.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well I just had the guy meet me at my gunsmiths to look at it ...I thought it looked fine, blueing wear here and there, target hammer and trigger. no box or paer work..but....my gunsmith looked at it and told the guy outright it wasnt worth 650...more like 450... he said " its got wear and its out of time and some idiot kept firing it out of time and the cylinder is all dinged up"

Im pretty much thinking I will buy either the Ruger SP101 4" for 580.00 or the Ruger LCR 22 for 450.00 both brand new...the LCR would take the same holster as my LCR 357 and may be a good plinker..im sure the SP101 would be more accruate ??

People like me should NOT buy used I guess because I wouldnt have known the difference...in all honesty I dont think the owner really knew either,,,he seemed like a VERY nice guy...

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
well I just had the guy meet me at my gunsmiths to look at it ...I thought it looked fine, blueing wear here and there, target hammer and trigger. no box or paer work..but....my gunsmith looked at it and told the guy outright it wasnt worth 650...more like 450... he said " its got wear and its out of time and some idiot kept firing it out of time and the cylinder is all dinged up"

Im pretty much thinking I will buy either the Ruger SP101 4" for 580.00 or the Ruger LCR 22 for 450.00 both brand new...the LCR would take the same holster as my LCR 357 and may be a good plinker..im sure the SP101 would be more accruate ??

People like me should NOT buy used I guess because I wouldnt have known the difference...in all honesty I dont think the owner really knew either,,,he seemed like a VERY nice guy...
Did he offer to come down on the price for the Smith?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No but im sure he would if I made him an offer...I think its a mdel 18 ?? Its a 4" barrel, the bore looked fine...the cylinder was a more silvery color than the blued area...

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
For me a nice S&W 17 or 18 pretty much tops the list but I would have to go with your gunsmith as he has looked at it and given you advice and I would probably pass on that 17 as it sounds a little beat up.

While I think the little LCR 22 is a neat revolver and sure to find a home in a lot of pockets, especially those that may be recoil sensitive, it is not in the same category as the S&W 17, 18 or the Ruger101.

·
Registered
18,161 Posts
I'm trying to figger out how a gun that's out of time will ding up the cylinder.

Timing is relatively cheap to fix.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
because instead of the firing pin coming down on the very edge of the round the cylinder is not lined up proper and the fp is hitting off the edge of the recess where the round sits...after repeated frings it dings the heck out of the cylinder and even peened the recess so the round doesnt sit into the recesss like it should...
If you saw it you would know, once he showed me it was very obivous

·
Registered
18,161 Posts
If it is doing as you describe, the gun would not fire. More than likely someone was dry-firing it, and the firing pin buggered up the lip of the chamber. But that's not caused by the gun being out of time, it's caused by dumb gun-owners.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the gunsmith said it wouldnt fire and that robably some idiot keep trying it over and over again...probably changing out ammo etc...he said it needed a new cylinder and a pawl ? and something else...im just gonna buy a new one...

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Well, the popular concensus has already been posted, but I would have to pick an SP101 over a hammered out K22. I'd pick the Ruger over a brand new Smith too...but that's just my preference.
I've bought 3 new Ruger GPs and SPs in the past couple years with a few friends having bought some as well. Can't say that any of them have a gritty or excessively heavy trigger on any of them...at least not what a good clean/lube job wouldn't fix.

I dearly love my 4" SP101, but it's not the current model with the half-lug barrel and ugly fiberoptic sights. Best little trail revolver I've ever owned.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
If it is doing as you describe, the gun would not fire. More than likely someone was dry-firing it, and the firing pin buggered up the lip of the chamber. But that's not caused by the gun being out of time, it's caused by dumb gun-owners.
Actually I have seen Smiths (and other brands...ahem...Taurus...) out of time as he describes. Most likely caused by someone doing their best (or worst) Jerry Miculek imitation...probably with an empty cylinder to boot. And probably a few good Sonny Crockett speed-flips of the cylinder/crane too.
Either that, or someone tried to "slick up" the action and removed too much metal from the pawl. that will cause it to fail to lock up. But if it locks up out of time, then the bolt was damaged or the crane is bent.

I would run as far away from that particular K22 as fast as I could. It will need a trip to the factory or just getting dumped into the parts bin to get it straightened out properly.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I'm both a Smith fan and a Ruger fan but with the SP101 in .22lr. caliber, is the size
of the factory grips that come on them.
I have large hands and for me to get the 'proper" grip, just cant seem to make it work.
The SP101 that I shoot every now and then belongs to my nephew and as far as accurate,
dependable....it's all there! As I said, large hands, it'd be the Smith & Wesson here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.