The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Smith & Wesson 38 Hammerless "Lemon Squeeze" 5 shot pistol (SN 24440), and a Letter of Authenticity to go along with it. The gun was recently graded by a gunsmith at 95% and is in excellent condition. I did not know about this gun being in the family until after my father passes away and we moved out of state - The gun was discovered during the move. My guess is it originally belonged to his father. Based on pictures, can you give me a ball park figure of what it might be worth?

If more pictures are needed let me know what you want to see and I'll get them posted.

Thanks for the help,

Guy

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
An early model Safety Hammerless, in that shape, with a factory letter? I would expect to see someone ask $750 or much, much more. Unfortunately, I have no idea of what they would actually get. Sorry to be so unhelpful. I think there is an internet forum just for Smith & Wesson collectors. You might try searching for that, or just checking back here until somebody who actually knows something comes along. :)

PS - I should make it clear that I meant "in such good shape".

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Perhaps my eyes are playing tricks on me or perhaps it is the camera flash, but the barrel and cylinder look to be nickel plated ( or polished steel ) and the frame blued? Jumping up to the highest magnification, it still looks as if part of the gun has been polished.??

·
Registered
17,759 Posts
Ron, my post, written a couple of hours after the original post, mentioned the nickel barrel, nickel cylinder and gold front sight. I opined that there was too much glare in the picture for it to be useful for grading the gun.

Then I reread it before hitting "reply", and thought, "Man, you're too damn picky", and deleted it. :D

Harleydiver, yes, Colt does that, but just like with all things Colt, it costs a whole helluva lot more.

Smith charges 50 bucks. Used to be 30, but went up a couple of years ago. If your gun was just a "normal" gun, the letter is 50 bucks. If your gun is 100% engraved, with gold inlay and factory carved ivory stocks, ordered by Franklin Roosevelt to be presented to J. Edgar Hoover, the letter is 50 bucks.

Colt starts at 100 and goes up. Depends on the model of the gun. Single Action Army letters cost more than Police Positive, for example. Also depends on any special features of the gun. Your gun was factory engraved? That letter costs more. Your gun was sent to somebody famous - Cody, Masterson, Earp - that letter costs more.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lanrezac, Anything is helpful, what little I know about this gun. Thanks

RJay and Alpo, For what it’s worth: Just read through the tips for getting better pictures. I’ll attempt to get more usable photos. Can you suggest any other pictures that would be useful in evaluating this gun?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts