The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks for all the great info. I took a picture of a 45 colt round outside the cylinder and 2 of the same round in the cylinder. I hope that helps. Also I tried the serial # search...... ya, no info available. Just kept searching and finally a note popped up saying “ no information available at this time” ?? Thanks for the site though.

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
Thanks for all the great info. I took a picture of a 45 colt round outside the cylinder and 2 of the same round in the cylinder. I hope that helps. Also I tried the serial # search...... ya, no info available. Just kept searching and finally a note popped up saying “ no information available at this time” ?? Thanks for the site though.
I think you may have found your answer....45 Colt...

·
Super Moderator
28,081 Posts
It sure looks like that Colt cartridge fits nicely

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks everyone for the input. Looks like it is a 45 colt shooter. I think the only way I may know HOW it got that way is request a letter from S&W of origin. Unfortunately when a firearm like this gets handed down, its history dies with the owner.

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Thanks everyone for the input. Looks like it is a 45 colt shooter. I think the only way I may know HOW it got that way is request a letter from S&W of origin. Unfortunately when a firearm like this gets handed down, its history dies with the owner.
If it was originally 45acp and converted the barrel and forcing cone would have been changed also. Worth tracking down the true origins IMHO. I believe S&W will have the answer in their records. I don’t know if there is a fee or not.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Without a doubt 45 colt. This 25-2 is 45 cal. Note the length of the forcing cone and the cylinder gap.
0714201101c.jpg

·
Registered
17,292 Posts
30 years ago I traded away a 25-5 and have regretted it ever since.
Man, what is it with 30 years ago? 1992, and I traded a 6-inch 25-5 for a transmission in my truck. The truck is long gone. Boy I miss that gun.

·
Registered
887 Posts
The "200 produced in 45 colt" seems to be the model 1950. I suppose it could be a 1950 with a 1955 barrel,but I did find this.
If this is a genuine Roy Jinks letter, it could explain a lot. Found it on the S&W Forums, in
a thread started 3 weeks ago.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hi, Thanks Bill. I saw that letter as well and it ended up being a forged letter With no signature from Roy ( who apparently always signs his). The S/N mentioned in letter is also apparently false as pertaining to production #’s. Thank again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Yep, you can see the larger cylinder on the bottom which shows a lot less gap. Thanks. What model is that bottom one? those are both very fine revolvers !!!!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts