Smith & Wesson M&P?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Gene Seward, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

I held an M&P this weekend for the first time and was impressed with the grip and overall feel. Do any of you have the M&P in 9mm with the 5" barrell? If you do what do you think of the gun? Also could you compare that to the 4" model? I would like the pistol in 40, but it only comes in the 4". I have never owned one, but have the XD, Glock, and two S&W revolvers. Years ago, like 25, I had one of the early semi autos and was not pleased at all. All your info. is very much appreciated.

2. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

I'm not a big fan of the polymer semi-autos to be honest. But I've handled and fired a lot of them, and so far the Smith M&P is probably my favorite. The finger grooves in the Glocks catch me in the middle of my fingers instead of between them where they belong. The XD just feels too blocky. I like the feel of the new XDm, but I haven't had the opportunity to fire one yet. Accuracy is fine for each of them as long as you go into it knowing these a built to be combat pistols, not bullseye competition pistols.

The 40 M&P is pretty easy to handle, but I like the full size 45 better.

If you are going to be shooting a lot in a day, buy one of those mag loaders... they really work and help a lot getting that last two rounds in.

3. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

Thanks for the info.. I am giving serious thought to getting one, but I really wished they had the 5" in .40 caliber. The XDM will be my other choice with the 4 1/2".

4. techoca

techoca New Member

I bought an M&P 40 2 weeks ago. Put 500 rounds of ammo through it so far. 200 Blazers and 300 of my handload LSWC. I love the gun and would take it over my Glock 23 .40 S&W anyday.

5. 1911fan

1911fan New Member

I had a M&P 40 for a while I carried while I worked on an armored car. It was outstanding I wish I still had it but had to sell it ( money got tight). I would definitely recommend it.

6. islenos

islenos Active Member

I have a M&P .45acp and I love it.:p I've spent so much time fondling it :eek:and spending too much time at the range:cool:, that my 1911A1 is no longer speaking to me:(, go to pick it up and it turns it's barrel the other way.:eek: Maybe if I buy it another holster I can make up with it.:D

7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I bought one a few weeks ago but have yet to fire it.

8. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

islenos, my Bushmaster Predator did that same thing to me when I bought the DPMS LR308-L because I didn't shoot her for weeks. Then I took her out and shot her one afternoon for about and hour and the brought her home and clean and fondled her and she is just fine. The bad thing is now I want to leave the .308 at home. If I don't change my mind I will have to get me an M&P shortly, but still don't know if it will be the 4 or 5 inch one. I love .40, but I have loooooots more 9mm reloads and brass. Again, thanks everyone.