The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While looking at my Standard Catalogs of Smith & Wesson, I was curious about my own collection of S&W Revolvers. I just found a nifty little plastic ruler, that makes it easy to measure barrel lengths without scratching the finish with a metal tape measure or rule. I first measured my Model 15 with a factory 4" barrel. Yup, exactly 4" down to a gnats [email protected]@. Next I grabbed my model 29-2. There is always some discussion about the age/rarity of early model 29's, because they initially came out with 4", 6 1/2", and 8 3/8" barrels, with a rare 5" on some early 29-1 and 29-2 4 screw or 3 screw variants. Measured my factory 6" weapon, and it measures exactly 5 13/16". Footnotes state that in 1979, Model 29-2's were changed from the 6 1/2" barrel to a 6". My Model 29-2 is in the 1980 production run range by serial number. Now how in the heck did my 6" barrel shrink down 3/16"?

If anyone else has a Model 29-2 with a quote 6" barrel, please measure yours and let me know.

·
Registered
526 Posts
It looked right at 6 1/2 " with a tape measure. I will drop a rod down the barrel then measure that more precise.
You do measure to the end of the barrel just before it touches the cylinder face?
I am scrambling to get my tools and poly finish inside, the sun was out bright about 20 minutes ago and as soon as I started to finish the shelves it started to rain.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It looked right at 6 1/2 " with a tape measure. I will drop a rod down the barrel then measure that more precise.
You do measure to the end of the barrel just before it touches the cylinder face?
I am scrambling to get my tools and poly finish inside, the sun was out bright about 20 minutes ago and as soon as I started to finish the shelves it started to rain.
See Post #'s 2 and 3.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Here we go again. Picked up over the weekend a S&W Model 28-2 Highway Patrolman, 6" barrel, with a serial number from 1979 (my 29-2 in the above discussions is a 1980 build date). Measured the barrel on this 6" Smith and guess what: This one also measures 5 13/16". Another 6" barrel that is also 3/16" short! If anyone has a Model 28, 28-1, or 28-2 in a quote 6" barrel length. please measure yours and let us know in this thread.

Is this the time frame when the "new math" was introduced?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Remember, his middle gun is a factory 6 1/2" barrel. The length was changed in 1979 by the factory for 29-2's, according to my Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, 1996.
Right. Though neither Supica ("...Catalog") nor Jinks ("History...") mention it, I have a hazy recollection at the time that the reason the Model 57 (.41 mag) was given a six-inch barrel was to more closely match the weight of its big brother. Remember that previously S&W had acceded to the requests of the target-shooting community by building their .22, .32, and .38 target pistols to the same weight by adjusting rib width. And that in the late '70's the bean-counters wanted a more streamlined production line, so standardized 6" for all K and N-frame medium barrel lengths.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts