The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone help me to the age and value of my Smith & Wesson revolver below that is a Model 63 and appears to be not a pinned barrell? It does not have a dash after MOD63 and the Serial # on the bottom of the grip is # M185860. I think its pre 1980 but not sure so what is why i came here for help.
Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel
Lock Hand Finger Padlock Hardware accessory
Product Machine Machine tool
Metal Steel

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
For some reason my reply was not posted. The gun is from 1977, this also marks the start of the "M" placed before the serial number.

Larry

·
Registered
17,770 Posts
They started the M series, with M1 to M30000, in 1969.

1981, the last year of the M series, was numbers M160001 to M193000.

So I don't see how M185860 could be a 1977 gun. Looks like a 1981 gun to me.

Reactions: goofy

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
Well at the risk of putting a cloud on this thread, I say who they?
According to the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, page 224. Model 63: 1977 .22/32 Kit Gun Stainless. Model 63 (1977): the introduction of "M" serial prefix at M99999.

But in the scheme of things, if it is valuable to you that is all that matters.

Enjoy the gun.

Larry

·
Registered
17,770 Posts
Try looking at page 399, bottom right. "M Serial Prefix".

Then read the paragraph above the picture, on 224, and not just the dash-number changes.

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
OK.
Now what?
Larry

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Just because a gun has a value of $550 or $600 dollars doesn't mean that's what you will get if you try to sell it to a gun store.They could offer you $300-350 for it or even less.You would have to sell it yourself to get top dollar for it.I would hope you would keep it and shoot it.It's a very nice gun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So in talking with my dad he did say he had bought it right before 1980 so it would have to be before 1981. Anyhow its a beautiful revolver and I will keep and pass down to the kids when i get older.

·
Banned
83 Posts
I have the same gun, but it's pinned, serial number M134XXX. My notes say it was made 80/81 but I'm not sure of the source. I did not note it for some reason.

I bought it in 1982 for my girlfriend (now wife). If these have their box they can go for silly money on ******. I don't care for the gun, it's too small to shoot well. My wife has shot it maybe once every decade. I guess it's now a family heirloom.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
And that folks is why they make different flavors of ice cream.I thank my 63 is the cats meow, it is very accurate, very light single action trigger, easy to carry, cheap to shoot. If I had to pick just one gun to keep, I really think I would chose the 63, I like it that much.

·
Deer Stalker
6,570 Posts
If it shoots as accurate as my 66-3, you'll be very pleased. It is my most accurate pistol followed closely by a Colt Commander 1911.

I paid $550 for this one 2 years ago in an online auction. 4" barrel S&W will fetch a bit more, and snubbies have the highest value of most Smiths except the infamous 29 model that Harry made famous. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.