Smith & Wesson Victory.

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by gvw3, Jan 23, 2017.

1. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

I heard that it's a common problem with the Victory model. I also heard that a proper sized quality allen head socket on a 3/8 drive ratchet and some heat with a heat gun (not a propane torch) will free-up the screw. They over torqued them after first having a problem with them backing out.

dbcooper, Kweeksdraw and gvw3 like this.
  2. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member

That is exactly what I have learned.

dbcooper, 270 Petload and Kweeksdraw like this.

3. 270 Petload

270 Petload Well-Known Member Supporting Member

gvw3, thanks for sharing the problem about the Victory. Now I am really glad that I chose the Ruger Mark IV Hunter model all the more. Thus far no problems with the Mark IV. If I do run into problems with the Mark IV, I will share it or them with TFF members. Have even mounted Target Grips from Altamont on the Mark IV. Even though I have small hands I like hand filling grips.

Kweeksdraw and gvw3 like this.
  4. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

OK at least they leveled with you
    Hope you get it back soon and it's fixed right
    I'm not holding out much hope for my rifle

Kweeksdraw, gvw3 and crystalphoto like this.
  5. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member

Looks like I may get to try out my Victory for the 1st time next weekend. We picked this up 1/23/17. Sent it back the same day.

Thank you for choosing Smith&Wesson. A representative will be with you shortly.

All representatives are currently assisting others. Your estimated wait time is 0 minutes and 30 seconds. Thanks for your patience.

All representatives are currently assisting others. Your estimated wait time is 0 minutes and 30 seconds. Thanks for your patience.

You are now chatting with 'Steve'

George: Cabela's sent our S&W Victory in for repair 1/23/17 the day we picked it up as the takedown screw was locked up. I wanted to know when we can expect to get this back? It has been 3 weeks now.

Steve: Hello George, Welcome to our Live Chat. How may I help you today?

George: Cabela's sent our S&W Victory in for repair 1/23/17 the day we picked it up as the takedown screw was locked up. I wanted to know when we can expect to get this back? It has been 3 weeks now.

Steve: It appears to be repaired and is being sent to the mailroom for processing.

George: Steve when will it ship? Today?

Steve: I would think next week sometime.

George: Thanks.

dbcooper and Kweeksdraw like this.
  6. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

My M&P 15 made it back to them Friday a week ago. I tracked it
    On Thursday of this week, I got an email saying they had recieved it!!

It only took them 5 days after they got it to tell me "we got it"

I figure it will be there for some time now, but hopefully it gets into the hands of a real gunsmith this time

Like GWV, its not been a good experiance with S&W for sure:(

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  7. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member

If I had it to do over I would have used a socket and breaker bar to get the screw out or snap it off. I didn't think it would take a month to get this back. I sent my Ruger in and it was back in around a week. I sent my son's Savage Axis in and it was back in less than 2 weeks.

Keep in mind this is a brand new gun.. Never fired. I am not impressed with S&W service.

dbcooper and 270 Petload like this.
  8. 270 Petload

gvw3, Thanks for sharing this revolting development with TFF. Hope others who are/were considering a Victory have had a chance to know what has happened to you before moving ahead with the purchase of a Victory. I am very happy with my Ruger Mark IV Hunter.

dbcooper likes this.
  9. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member

My wife said my next gun will be a Ruger Mark IV. This gun may very well turn out to be a great shooter but so far it's been a real bad experience.

dbcooper likes this.
  10. 270 Petload

gvw3, it is so disappointing to hear about your experience. S&W is an American icon with years of experience and reputation upon which it can depend. One is left to wonder why this happens. I encourage you to find someone who has a Ruger Mark IV Target or Hunter and ask them to let you try it. Should your experience be as good as mine you will be happy with the Mark IV.

11. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member

This is the last Smith & Wesson I ever buy. I just picked up the gun today. When we opened the box I found the hex key that was bent and twisted that is totally useless. The guy at the counter couldn't believe they didn't give me a new one. I waited a month to get this new never fired gun back for them and they didn't replace this.

To me this is an insult. It shows they could care less about quality and their customer base. It's not the cost of a hex key. I probably have a bunch in my tool boxes. It's just the thought that they couldn't put a new 15 cent hex key in the box.

upload_2017-2-24_19-57-6.png
    I gave this gun to my wife. I don't even want to shoot it.

270 Petload likes this.
  12. 270 Petload

gvw3, thank you for sharing this important information. Hope your wife does not have any problems with it.

gvw3 likes this.