The Firearms Forum banner

Smoked turkey Merge

6K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  Crpdeth 
#1 ·
The next time you smoke a turkey or chicken in that new smoker ya get for christmas, try cooking it half way in the oven first. Then the smoke cooked flavor will be a bit milder and more enjoyable.

#2 ·
Re: Smoked turkey

Not a bad idea...but I do it the other way around...about four hours on the smoker using pecan, hickory, or apple...or a combo of all three...then finish it off in the oven after being stuffed with an oyster dressing!

John

#3 ·
Slow Smoked Venison Roast

Wanted to share a recipe I used last weekend to smoke a beef roast. I've used the combination before on Venison, as well.

Keep in mind, I was at a medieval reenactment event. I was using period (600 A.D. to 1600 A.D.) recipes, where possible. Knowing the basics of a good smoked roast was the cure and spices, I first rubbed down the roast with kosher salt. (Kosher salt was used, as iodized salt was *not* available in period.)

Second, I rubbed down the roast with Powder Forte, a period blend of spices.
http://www.thorngrove.net/athenaeum/powder.htm
Francesco Sirene said:
Powder forte or 'strong spice' was a generic spice-mix, commonly used by cooks in medieval and renaissance cuisine for seasoning food. It is rather like today's curry powder or five-spice powder, which are blends of several different herbs and spices.

The components of powder forte varied from country to country and kitchen to kitchen, but were basically strong spices such as black pepper, long pepper, cloves, nutmeg, mace, cinnamon, ginger, etc. There could be as few as two or three ingredients or as many as a half dozen or more.

We do have an extant C.14th Venetian recipe for powder forte.

Personally, my favorite and the basic mixture I use in my kitchen, is:

1 part cloves
1 part fresh nutmeg
1 part mace blade
1 part black pepper
1 part grains of paradise
3 parts long pepper

All ingredients are freshly ground.
After rubbing down the roast with the Powder Forte, I placed it in the smoker and let it cook for about an hour before basting it with olive oil. Once I got a good coat of olive oil on the roast, I didn't need to keep it basted that much. For a venison roast, I'd probably lard the roast. Temperature was kept down to 250F for the duration of the smoke. Applewood chips were used over hardwood lump charcoal (mesquite, but it's what was available) and the meat stayed in the smoker for about 5 hours for a 4-5 lb. roast.

For those wondering, Grains of Paradise and Long Pepper can be found at Francesco Sirene http://www.silk.net/sirene/index.htm and other online sources. I substituted Cubebs for Long Pepper. You can also use Szechaun peppercorns as a substitute, if you can't locate Cubebs or Long Pepper.

#4 ·
Anyone here Smoke???

i dont mean getting cancer in your spare time, i mean briskets, ribs, sausages etc. etc. etc.... im probably gonna buy me a smoker here within the next few days, gearin up for summer. im new to smokin', so i need tips n' tricks to bein' a successful smoker.

#5 ·
Re: Anyone here Smoke???

My dad is a huge BBQ'r, including smoking. If it is something you really want to do, check out, The Big Green Egg, though pricey the egg smokes and barbecues brilliantly, capable of reaching almost 2,000 degrees if I recall correctly. Otherwise his old Weber did still produce tasty dishes.

Smoked pork shoulder/butt is by far the greatest, pulled, on a bun with some homemade coleslaw and a spoonful of real wings sauce (Frank's Red Hot and butter) is probably the single greatest meal out there.

And there's no reason you can't enjoy a little cancer via pipe, cigar, dip, or even cigarette... at the same time. :p

#6 ·

JLA

I've been using an offset smoker for awhile now and I really like it...I've been considering pouring a slab for it and putting a tin roof over it for when it's raining to keep the wood and my butts dry. :D

I enjoy smoking turkey, chicken, brisket, ribs, butts, sausage links and "whole parts" such as venison/pork quarters.

Heres some pics of Black Betty

This is me and her...She is my sweet heart, we keep each other hot.

A stuffed grill...

Some more heat.

And another pic of my baby.

Crpdeth

#7 ·

im new to smokin', so i need tips n' tricks to bein' a successful smoker.
I didn't think you could live in Texas and not know how to smoke food. Who let him in?:D

crpdeth-Smoker and food looks right. When my daughter was growing up she used to tell people how weird her parents were because we took pictures of our food. Glad we are not the only ones. :D

#9 ·

JLA

Sorry, I overlooked the part where you were asking for tips and tricks...Here are a few of my thoughts, they may be worth about what they cost you, but if you like I can try to come up with more later.

Always clean the inside of the cook chamber real good (I use a wire brush) before each cook..If you don't you can expect some smoke residue from the top and sides from your last cookout to find it's way onto your food.

Leave the cook chamber door closed as much as you can while cooking, look at opening it as increasing your cook time up to a half hour each time you do.

Don't use trash wood...Oak and fruit wood is the best in my opinion (a mix of the two). If the wood isn't good and dry you can keep several sticks sitting on top of the firebox and rotate them into the fire as needed.

Take pictures.

Allow your briskets to cool before slicing them and the juices will be retained in the meat instead of running all over your counter.

Slather your meats with a binder such as mustard or worchestershire sauce and douse a liberal amount of rub on it...I always do this before cranking up the pit since I pre-heat the pit for an hour or so, it gives the meat a little more time to sit there and take in the flavor.

If you are having a hard time bringing the internal temp of the meat up (You need temperature probes) and if you believe that you have left the meat in long enough to acquire a good smoke flavor, foil it up...The foil will retain heat like putting a lid on a pot on the stove, it will also retain moisture, so I like to foil half way through most cookouts.

Save your old cooking oil to pour on the pit when the pit is cool to keep it from rusting out too bad, this also drives the neighborhood dogs insane when you do fire it up and that old oil/grease starts to fumigate the neighborhood in the wee hours of the morning.

Drink beer.

If the metal on your smoker is a little on the thin side, expect longer cook times in the rain and cold.

Crpdeth

#10 ·

Makes me ravenously hungry just thinking about it, donny !!!!!!

:) :D

#11 ·

How do you guys stand on the big rub versus sauce controversy?:):)

One of my favorite grill recipies is beer can chicken. After I had the rub on the chickens they were so beautiful I made the guys at the station look at them before I grilled them!:)

#12 ·

2 years abo I bought a Masterbuilt electric smoker from Cabelas.

Digital thermometer set & heat time set.

Works great easy to use. I got the black one for $199 great bargain

Here is the page on the Cabelas web site...

http://tinyurl.com/36kcyy

#13 ·

Right now, sitting on my front patio, is a New Braunfels Smoker and a Masterbuilt. Both are wonderful tools. I like the New Braunfels when I want to take the day and sit around tending the smoker, drinking some good beer and get a full-flavored hot smoke.

The Masterbuilt is when I'm being lazy and just want to set-n-forget while I do other stuff, going outside to add chips occasionally.

Both smoke food wonderfully. If I'm doing something that's critical on temperature and timing, the Masterbuilt is the hands-down winner. If I'm working in my "craftsmanship" then I use the New Braunfels. I have to admit, there are times when the New Braunfels is the choice because I'm engaging in a bit of Cowboy Zen. The task and my involvement in the task are the object of the exercise, not just the end result.

Sauce vs. rub? I prefer to use a dry cure (some would call that a "rub") then follow up with a sauce near the end. At other times, I'll brine the meat to be smoked, making sure the outside is nice and dry before putting it in the smoker. Either way, the sauce is usually a finishing touch or added after the meat has been pulled/chopped/sliced for serving.

I will now share something that few outside of the family have been privilege to. Please forgive the formatting:

* Exported from MasterCook *

John's Dry Cure for Beef, Pork, Venison, Tofu or Tempeh

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup kosher salt
1 cup dark brown sugar
4 tablespoons chili powder
2 each bay leaf -- ground fine
1 tablespoon paprika -- Hungarian or smoked Spanish preferred
2 teaspoons peppercorn -- ground
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or "Texas Gunpowder" aka dried, ground Jalapeno
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dry mustard -- Coleman's preferred

Mix thoroughly all ingredients, breaking up any clumps.

Description:
"A versatile Dry Cure that works with many different barbecued
proteins"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Texas Panhandle Barbecue Sauce

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Wet Ingredients
1/4 pound Butter, unsalted
1 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup Catsup
1 cup water
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 each Lemon juice
Dry Ingredients
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne -- ground
1 teaspoon Salt
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon Black pepper -- ground
2 each bay leaf -- crushed
1/4 cup Dark brown sugar
Seasoning
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1 large onion -- chopped fine in food processor

Melt butter, add rest of wet ingredients over medium heat.

Mix the dry ingredients together and add to wet.

Add the Seasonings (garlic and onion) and simmer for at least 10 minutes.
Long, slow cook times improve the sauce by blending the flavors better.

If possible, whisk or food-process the resulting sauce before serving to
thoroughly mix the butter with the rest of the ingredients.

If dairy must be left out for whatever reason (kosher, vegan, etc) you may
substitute an equivalent quantity of a good-quality Virgin Olive Oil.

Description:
"A Moppin' Sauce for Beef, Pork or even Tofu!"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

#14 ·

Somo, Burdee, Rosireeta rsmokn 4sure ududes wots witchu? watea minit,wots da Q? uh yur takin bout witch?? uh lemme pop nutha Yuengling Premium (has displaced budlite in ma reefer) ahhhh ya bak 2da Q----lik IB say rhowseriita brdy sewmow yar nuthr 1a them plese----:cool:

#15 ·

How do you guys stand on the big rub versus sauce controversy?:):)

One of my favorite grill recipies is beer can chicken. After I had the rub on the chickens they were so beautiful I made the guys at the station look at them before I grilled them!:)
Two good topics here!

For me though, I agree with John, dry rub raw meat and leave the sauce on the table for serving (except for perhaps mopping during the last 30 minutes of the cook).

I do the 'beer can' thing too, but lately I've found this stuff called Jumex in the Mexican food section, which is a soda can of different flavor fruit juice that I think adds a little bit of flavor...Hard to say though, because that leaves me even more beer to drink and I'm sure my senses are a little blurred. :D

Geeze...I find myself agreeing with IB on a few points here.

Oh, I wanted to say that I'll move this thread to the recipe forum at some point, but it's getting more views in here than it will after I do that, so I'll leave it here for a bit longer.

Crpdeth

#16 ·

JLA This is me and her...She is my sweet heart, we keep each other hot......Crpdeth
Be careful when ya go to plant a smooch on her.......:eek:

Remember that dude on the commerical that licks the sauce off the grill.....:eek:

And gets his tounge bandaged by the para-medics......:D

#18 ·

ROTF...I guess I had that coming Al, I'll be sure to put some carmex on before I smooch on her...300 degree kisses...mmmm, better than nuthin at all! :D

JLA

I thought of another tip...See that shovel in the last pic? That size shovel with the handle thingie on the end make the best pokers you'll find, in my opinion...I've tried it many ways, but with these you can stoke up the fire and also scoop up chunks of wood and move them around within the firebox to create more air space, etc...

Makes me ravenously hungry just thinking about it, donny !!!!!!

:) :D
We really need to have you two over for dinner...I wish we were a few miles closer.

Crpdeth

#19 ·
Beer can chicken

I've done the beer can chicken using, beer, 7-UP, Sprite, Ginger Ale, and Dr. Pepper. All have been good except the Dr. Pepper. Of these I think the best was Ginger Ale!

#21 ·

Good looking butts!

What are you planning on cooking tomorrow, Sam?

Love those slide out racks, that's one of the mods that I need to do to mine...I just haven't done it yet.

17'th

I really like the Ginger Ale idea, I've never heard of it...Gotta try it.

Crpdeth

#22 ·

I didn't think you could live in Texas and not know how to smoke food. Who let him in?:D
i could probably figure it out, im just impatient and hungry, i can grill a divine 1" thick steak, no matter the cut, done perfectly medium to medium rare in a 500 degree pit in less than 6 minutes. BTW thats good eatn... but i never have really wanted to try smokin, but now im ready to adventure...

#23 ·

BTW, thanks to everyone for the wonderful tips

#24 ·

i could probably figure it out, im just impatient and hungry, i can grill a divine 1" thick steak, no matter the cut, done perfectly medium to medium rare in a 500 degree pit in less than 6 minutes. BTW thats good eatn... but i never have really wanted to try smokin, but now im ready to adventure...
That steak sounds right. I don't have any tips better than the experts here already offered,but... I know a cold beer in hand is really key to a proper meal of smoked anything. I use a infared heat gun,made by Fluke, that we use to find hot spots in electrical switchgear, to read temps on my meat. works real well and is easy to use. I confirm with a meat thermometer and the grill thermometer. Temp control is,I believe, key.
:cool:

#26 ·

I smoked when I was younger but now the fire is out and the smoker is rusted out just a shell left :rolleyes: :eek::(
RON... you do know they make little blue pills for that now a days ?!!!! :D

mike
gn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.