The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
After studying the many posts in this forum, I understand commercial smokeless powder cartridges can, technically, be fired in a top-break revolver, but is strongly not recommended because the hinges and pins will take a beating and the whole assembly will be loosened to the point of ruin.

What will happen if commercial cartridges are used in a first or second model .32 or .38 solid frame revolver such as an American DA or a Safety Hammer DA? I understand the 3rd models after 1905 were specifically updated for smokeless powder, but why? The American doesn't have many moving parts exposed to discharge pressures. Did the star get smashed? Was the trigger spring too weak?

Numrich doesn't seem to make a distiction between the various models of Americans.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
The biggest change in firearms in the switch from Black Powder to Smokeless was in the metal used. The manufactures went from cast iron and cast steel { brittle }, to modern fluid type carbon steel { more resilient and better able to absorb the shock of smokeless. }. Of course that is just my understanding, there may have been a little of black magic involved, don't know.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I can see that. They could still have saved money by using the same patterns and manufacturing methods while upgrading the product.
Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts