The Firearms Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter moved down to TX and now has snakes to deal with in the yard. She had two copperheads the other day in the yard. I was talking with her about maybe a 410 Judge or Governor instead of a 9mm or 45acp to widen the >1/2" pattern of a single bullet, but I have heard about some problems with the Judge and a timing of the cylinder problem. Any body have some input on the Taurus Judge or S&W Governor?

P.S. With a little research I have found the Taurus Judge has many models Poly, Black, SS, and barrel size range from 2"-6.5"

·
Super Moderator
46,821 Posts
I have a Taurus Judge; I don't shoot a lot of .410 trough it because of the cost of the stuff. I have fired quite a few .45 Colt and have never seen or experienced a timing problem. This is the first time I have even heard of a timing problem with them. Mine is the Poly Judge, I think it's called the Night Defender, or something along those lines.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Composite material

·
Premium Member
7,471 Posts
20ga only way to go,low recoil.cheap ammo,have one beside back door for same reason-snakes.,,,Never understood the .410,expensive,far more expensive than 12 or 20,small choice of loads.The only thing I can think of them being useful for is small game,deer incld with .410slug which is just a .41 caliber bullet of a higher weight/velocity than a handgun .41...

·
Registered
5,995 Posts
Back in the old days, we never went off the porch without a hoe in the summer or vacation time in northern Florida. Rattlers were as common as nightcrawler's on grandpa's farm. These days I carry a Taurus, SS, 7-shot, .38/.357 mag revolver, loaded with shot-shells, in a fanny pack whenever I go to my boat or down to the canal. Lots of Cottonmouths & an occasional rattler. Haven't had to shoot one in 20 yrs, but it's better to have it & not need it than the other way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I have a Taurus Judge; I don't shoot a lot of .410 trough it because of the cost of the stuff. I have fired quite a few .45 Colt and have never seen or experienced a timing problem. This is the first time I have even heard of a timing problem with them. Mine is the Poly Judge, I think it's called the Night Defender, or something along those lines.
View attachment 277277
I have first hand knowledge on one guy and two others that had the timing problem, so not many. Just asking to see if there was a bigger problem out there.
Unless you are carrying it and portability is a factor a cheap single shot 410 shot gun stashed behind the kitchen door is well suited for viper duty.
Yes that was my thinking portability, carrying a shotgun for a small woman instead of a holstered pistol to do yard work, I think would be the best idea.

I have a Bond Arms 410/45 colt. I keep it handy when I'm cat fishing and rooting around in tree branches on the lake. Especially at night working with a headlamp on. Chambered for 2 1/2" 410 shells.
I did not know about Bond having one of these. I will look into them also. Thanks.

Yes, a 20ga would do the job, but a 36"/40" shotgun is a pain to lug around and she has one, but I think that a Judge, Governor, or maybe that Bond would be the best idea??? in a holster.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i, have a Taurus judge Public Defender. It is about the same weight and size as a .357. Had it for many years, never a problem. Mine is chambered for 2 1/2 410. or 45 LC.
Do you know if all of the Judges are 2.5" shells. Do they make a 3" shell .410 model? the same as the shotguns.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My friend down in Texas has snake shot he puts it in a .357 or .38 special revolver.
She doesn't have a revolver, has 9mm and I'm not sure if there is bird shot in 9mm, but I think she would be better off with one of these little .410 Judge types units.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
One thing to remember when shooting a snake is you have to take its head off or place shot in its brain. I shot a 6ft one a few weeks ago several times with a 357 handgun with #6 shot loads. It had holes all over it like a window screen but I had to stomp its head before it stopped crawling around. I did hit it with a std bullet and took its lower jaw off with that shot but still had to mash its head before it stopped trying to crawl off.

Suggest a reg length shotgun or one that keeps the shot together at snake shooting distance so you can get it done in one shot.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts