The Firearms Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
12,977 Posts
One thing to remember when shooting a snake is you have to take its head off or place shot in its brain. I shot a 6ft one a few weeks ago several times with a 357 handgun with #6 shot loads. It had holes all over it like a window screen but I had to stomp its head before it stopped crawling around. I did hit it with a std bullet and took its lower jaw off with that shot but still had to mash its head before it stopped trying to crawl off.

Suggest a reg length shotgun or one that keeps the shot together at snake shooting distance so you can get it done in one shot.
We had a rattlesnake den near my folks house when I was younger and every now and again there was a snake in the yard that needed to be dispatched. Even cutting off it's head with a shovel didn't stop it from crawling around. The headless body would writhe around and try to crawl off for hours. Even after gutting the body out and skinning it the heart was still beating and the body would still be moving. At least with the head cut off it couldn't bite. There was an old saying that a rattlesnake won't die until after sunset on the day it was killed, it isn't true but as long as those things keep moving after they are dead is why that old wives tale started. They are like a chicken with it's head cut off only they can keep going a lot longer.

·
Registered
251 Posts
A .38 snub nose running shot shells will absolutely flip a snake inside out with no excessive recoil or flash. I was so impressed with the performance and pattern that I now keep this one loaded with shot shells right next to my 9mm 1911 full of fmj's for HD. I like having the best of both worlds on tap. Instead of running a hollow point that will penetrate a few walls I can shoot through all of them or none of them depending on what the situation and angle calls for.
Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
8,034 Posts
I've never heard of a problem with the Taurus, unless you're unfortunate enough to need parts, but it seems like a decent tool for the job. Personally, I like a Henry .410 lever gun, but that's mostly because it's so fun to shoot. I wish I could afford more ammo! The plastic-cup type shotshells have often caused problems for me. In a revolver, the cups occasionally blow out the front, leaving plastic stuck between the cylinder and barrel. That makes it impossible to get off a second round. In a semi-auto, the recoil isn't enough to operate the action, and I've had the front blow out problem there, too. It leaves garbage in the barrel, and worst case, when one just sorta disintegrated in the chamber, it spilled shot and powder into the internal works. That was a bear to clear!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Both the Judge and the Governor will only take only 2.5" shells.
Mine is chambered for 2 1/2 in. my brothers is 3in. What is made now, I do not know, we have had ours for a long time.
I am only finding 2.5" Governors, but still checking, I think that they still make the 3" Judge.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I've never heard of a problem with the Taurus, unless you're unfortunate enough to need parts, but it seems like a decent tool for the job. Personally, I like a Henry .410 lever gun, but that's mostly because it's so fun to shoot. I wish I could afford more ammo! The plastic-cup type shotshells have often caused problems for me. In a revolver, the cups occasionally blow out the front, leaving plastic stuck between the cylinder and barrel. That makes it impossible to get off a second round. In a semi-auto, the recoil isn't enough to operate the action, and I've had the front blow out problem there, too. It leaves garbage in the barrel, and worst case, when one just sorta disintegrated in the chamber, it spilled shot and powder into the internal works. That was a bear to clear!
Yep,
I think a Judge or Governor is the way to go. A shotgun is not going to work for a 115-20lb girl working on the lawn to carry.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I use an NAA Black Widow with 22 mag shotshells. It’s nice and compact, hides in a pocket if need be, but with 5 shots it will definitely get the job done!

·
Registered
882 Posts
There is a 45/410 single shot pistol, Comanche ( I think). Basically single barrel shotgun action on revolver grip frame. Under $200. I think the barrel around 8”-9” would make it more useful gun. A 410 is much better snake killer than any shot load. Before 1934 Firearms Act several companies made useful guns in 410 and some 20s. Called Garden Guns, they were intended to use on yard pests.
Being more familiar than most with poisonous snakes, it’s the one you don’t see that will bite. If you see it 99% of the time you can simply avoid it. Unless I got my jollies from owning some kind of snake gun, a hoe or shovel is most practical. The only reason I kill any poison snake is to make sure it doesn’t get someone later if in occupied area.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I recently bought a Heritage 22/22mag convertible and have the mag cylinder with snake shot in it. I have yet to pattern it as I've used my S&W 686 4" as a snake gun and it has worked well.

I would prefer a small shotgun maybe a single. 410. But I rather carry a handgun around my daughters farm as you have to cross fences and navigate some tangled woods. Foxes and Coyotes are the other thing we have to deal with.

·
13,879 Posts
I recently bought a Heritage 22/22mag convertible and have the mag cylinder with snake shot in it. I have yet to pattern it as I've used my S&W 686 4" as a snake gun and it has worked well.

I would prefer a small shotgun maybe a single. 410. But I rather carry a handgun around my daughters farm as you have to cross fences and navigate some tangled woods. Foxes and Coyotes are the other thing we have to deal with.
Do you carry that shotgun on your hip when you mow?

21 - 40 of 60 Posts