The Firearms Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
7,388 Posts
I have a stainless Taurus Judge that takes 2 & 1/2" shells and 45 Colts. I've shot quite a few Rattlesnakes and ruffed & blue grouse with mine. Never had a problem with it. I got it as a Father's day gift years ago from my daughter & son-in-law. I'd never sell it because it was a gift. But if I was in the market for a versatile handgun that shoots shotshells or 45 colt ammo I would probably pick a stainless S&W Governor because it also shoots 45 acp with moon clips. I think a derringer shooting .410 shotshells would be quite a handful recoil wise for a girl. My Judge with 410 shells ain't too bad as far as recoil goes.

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
If someone is considering a Bond arms they make a .410 model called the Rowdy that is less fancy than most of their offerings, about $250 street price.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Mine is chambered for 2 1/2 in. my brothers is 3in. What is made now, I do not know, we have had ours for a long time.
What is the recoil between the two. Does the brothers 3" have more recoil then your 2.5"?
What would you compare your 2.5" recoil too.
Now going to see how much recoil there is. Daughter does shoot a 1911, 9mm and a 12ga pump for skeet, She has tried a 44mag before but it was a little more then she liked.

I have a stainless Taurus Judge that takes 2 & 1/2" shells and 45 Colts. I've shot quite a few Rattlesnakes and ruffed & blue grouse with mine. Never had a problem with it. I got it as a Father's day gift years ago from my daughter & son-in-law. I'd never sell it because it was a gift. But if I was in the market for a versatile handgun that shoots shotshells or 45 colt ammo I would probably pick a stainless S&W Governor because it also shoots 45 acp with moon clips. I think a derringer shooting .410 shotshells would be quite a handful recoil wise for a girl. My Judge with 410 shells ain't too bad as far as recoil goes.
What would you compare it to? Recoil wise.

I think I will tell her to see if she can find a range with a rental to try.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
What is the recoil between the two. Does the brothers 3" have more recoil then your 2.5"?
Now going to see how much recoil there is. Daughter does shoot a 1911, 9mm and a 12ga pump for skeet, She has tried a 44mag before but it was a little more then she liked.

Mine has a 2 in. BBL and a 2 1/2 in cylinder and, is about the size of a .357. Mine is all steel. Brothers is all steel with a 2 in. BBL. His cylinder will take 3in. 410. His is a bit heavier. Would not want to carry it. My recoil with 410 shoot, maybe about like a .357. If there was a way to send mine to you, I would let you try it out. Never shot 45 LC. When I shoot 410 slugs, it shoots pretty true.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Mine has a 2 in. BBL and a 2 1/2 in cylinder and, is about the size of a .357. Mine is all steel. Brothers is all steel with a 2 in. BBL. His cylinder will take 3in. 410. His is a bit heavier. Would not want to carry it. My recoil with 410 shoot, maybe about like a .357. If there was a way to send mine to you, I would let you try it out.
Thanks,
We will find one to try. When I had her looking at G43x and P365, she found a range rental to try them and she was in a women's group that they tried each others guns. So she has tried many different units. There are not a lot of these 410 units around. I know one guy that had one, but he had timing problems with it. Went back to factory 2-3 times. But, I have not asking if anyone has a Judge and the Governors are few and far between. She is pretty good at finding what I tell her to look at.

Thanks for the info and help.
Symmetry Font Electric blue Pattern Circle

Reactions: ysacres

·
Registered
7,388 Posts

To me, my Judge shooting the shotshells is comparable to a 38 revolver. There is very little difference in recoil or performance between the 2 & 3/4" and the 3" 410 shells, except price.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
To me, my Judge shooting the shotshells is comparable to a 38 revolver. There is very little difference in recoil or performance between the 2 & 3/4" and the 3" 410 shells, except price.
Thanks for the info.
Symmetry Font Electric blue Pattern Circle

·
Super Moderator
31,731 Posts
A .38 snub nose running shot shells will absolutely flip a snake inside out with no excessive recoil or flash. I was so impressed with the performance and pattern that I now keep this one loaded with shot shells right next to my 9mm 1911 full of fmj's for HD. I like having the best of both worlds on tap. Instead of running a hollow point that will penetrate a few walls I can shoot through all of them or none of them depending on what the situation and angle calls for. View attachment 277300
Is that just a flash hider on that Taurus? If so, I assume that you had to have the barrel threaded?

• Wow
Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
View attachment 277357
Yes, there IS a 9mm shotshell- IF you can find them. Do not expect an auto to cycle- maybe it will, maybe it won't.
Yep' I know. That is why I will not recommend to my daughter to use that ammo and are only looking at a Judge or Governor that will work!!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
After three pages of response take it from one who lives in East Texas which is loaded with copperheads and water moccasins ……20 ga with #8 shot….cheap and unforgiving when pointed at a snake. Ever try to buy a box of 410 these days?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I live in Texas and a few months ago I disturbed a snake in my back yard I decided to purchase a a cheap .22LR and some snake shot ammo. I bought a Phoenix Arms small pistol with a spare barrel and some CCI varmey shot. I have 12 guage shotguns and a variety of pistol calibers but Idecided on ,22LR but reading the post it seems like most commentors are using small cannons . I know bigger will do fine but is .22LR too small . I've killed snakes with an axe ,large rock and my lawn tractor but not with a firearm.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
I live in Texas and a few months ago I disturbed a snake in my back yard I decided to purchase a a cheap .22LR and some snake shot ammo. I bought a Phoenix Arms small pistol with a spare barrel and some CCI varmey shot. I have 12 guage shotguns and a variety of pistol calibers but Idecided on ,22LR but reading the post it seems like most commentors are using small cannons . I know bigger will do fine but is .22LR too small . I've killed snakes with an axe ,large rock and my lawn tractor but not with a firearm.
I am sure anything will/would work. I'm trying to find her a good, easy, no problem unit, K.I.S.S. if you know what I mean. A 20ga shotgun would more then do the job but carrying a 36"-40" long gun to do yard work is a little much. So I am looking into the .410 Judge or Governor on a belt in a holster. I do not have any background with the .410 pistols so I am asking guys that do. I am pretty sure that a Judge will work very good for this. Right tool for the right job. K.I.S.S.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My daughter moved down to TX and now has snakes to deal with in the yard. She had two copperheads the other day in the yard. I was talking with her about maybe a 410 Judge or Governor instead of a 9mm or 45acp to widen the >1/2" pattern of a single bullet, but I have heard about some problems with the Judge and a timing of the cylinder problem. Any body have some input on the Taurus Judge or S&W Governor?

P.S. With a little research I have found the Taurus Judge has many models Poly, Black, SS, and barrel size range from 2"-6.5"
22 rat shot will kill any snake at 15 feet with a rifle or revolver

41 - 60 of 60 Posts