The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok gunsmithy people,
Which is my best choice of action. Id like to get a down turned or "sniper" bolt for my Mosin Nagant M44. Financially speaking which is the better option, searching the web for an already manufactured bolt, or having one smithed. I do not want to have my original bolt altered as it has matching numbers to the gun. tearing down and assembling a bolt is easy. so all I really need is the 'bolt handle' ( is that the right term total brain fart here). If I have to buy it piece by piece and build like an adult model so be it, I find that stuff enjoyable. Moderators if this is in the wrong spot please move it, I wasnt sure where to ask it.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Ok gunsmithy people,
Which is my best choice of action. Id like to get a down turned or "sniper" bolt for my Mosin Nagant M44. Financially speaking which is the better option, searching the web for an already manufactured bolt, or having one smithed. I do not want to have my original bolt altered as it has matching numbers to the gun. tearing down and assembling a bolt is easy. so all I really need is the 'bolt handle' ( is that the right term total brain fart here). If I have to buy it piece by piece and build like an adult model so be it, I find that stuff enjoyable. Moderators if this is in the wrong spot please move it, I wasnt sure where to ask it.
Pretty easy call on this one. Go to Numrich and buy a complete bolt assembly and take it to a gunsmith and have him/her weld on the new bolt handle. Save the original bolt as-is. This is the 'busy time' of the year for most 'smiths, but since you have the original bolt you can take it out and make all of the noise you want. I sure as heck would prefer an 'extra complete bolt' over swapping out parts whenever you want to use your carbine.

·
Super Moderator
38,540 Posts
Numrich does have a complete bolt in stock, it costs more (almost double) than what I paid for my entire rifle:

They also have a bolt body with bent handle for a little less.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just about any part cost more then I paid for the whole gun...lol. It was $49.99 on sale when I bought it almost 20 years ago.

·
Super Moderator
38,540 Posts
Yep, that is about what I paid for mine. I just noticed that the bent bolt body is out of stock!

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah that seams to be the norm I've been seeing, I guess what i'm saying is it cheaper to buy one or have one smithed. sure I could buy a kit and a straight handle grind off the handle drill and tap, etc. but that looks cheap and tacky.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Yeah that seams to be the norm I've been seeing, I guess what i'm saying is it cheaper to buy one or have one smithed. sure I could buy a kit and a straight handle grind off the handle drill and tap, etc. but that looks cheap and tacky.
Any time you're paying a 'Smith for a job that means cash. They have to earn a living, too. You can do it yourself (if I did it would look like a Homer Simpson spice rack). Not too sure what you are after. Just a bent bolt handle to not look 'tacky'? A Mosin is one of the plainest rifles ever made - next to a French Lebel. That is why few are made into 'sporters' on the high-end. I was thinking you wanted a longer bolt handle to replace that stubby original with. Good luck to you and my sincere wish that you find what you seek. BTW - the cost of the rifle? My first was an 1893 Mauser I bought for $15 - my pick from 3 wooden barrel filled with them. The ammo was a penny each.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any time you're paying a 'Smith for a job that means cash. They have to earn a living, too. You can do it yourself (if I did it would look like a Homer Simpson spice rack). Not too sure what you are after. Just a bent bolt handle to not look 'tacky'? A Mosin is one of the plainest rifles ever made - next to a French Lebel. That is why few are made into 'sporters' on the high-end. I was thinking you wanted a longer bolt handle to replace that stubby original with. Good luck to you and my sincere wish that you find what you seek. BTW - the cost of the rifle? My first was an 1893 Mauser I bought for $15 - my pick from 3 wooden barrel filled with them. The ammo was a penny each.
I want the bent handle. so I can use a scope if need be. as my eyes are getting old. I was just trying to determine if it was cheaper to buy one or have one "made". I have no ideas what a smith charges. the few smiths in my area I called all danced around the question when i asked what they would charge , ball park figure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here's another option. Remove the rear sight ladder and mount a "scout" scope in its place. The scope sits far enough forward so you don't need a turned down bolt. I have a scout scope on my M38 and the gun shoots quite well.
M38 Scout Scope.jpg

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do have a long relief mount like that I just dont have a scope and as such have not mounted the mount yet. every long eye relief scope I found is way over my budget. $200 for a scope is not what i call affordable. affordable is less the $100

·
Registered
5 Posts
Google rifle scout scopes. You should have no problem finding something under $100. My M38 scope is a BSA model from a few years ago, here is a typical BSA scope that is similar:

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
If you know anyone with a oxy/acetelyne torch,it's a 15 min job.If the person is good,they will know how much heat to accomplish mission without stressing steel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts