The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was seeing an ad at the top when I signed into the forum...it was for a long range rifle that fired either Lapua .338 or Winchester .300 magnum rounds. I didn't bookmark it at the time, but I am interested...anyone know what the company was since I can't remember?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Well, this is one I know a little about. Two of the guys in our local "reloaders club" shoot the Savage 338 Lapua.

The gun is a monster. Crazy accurate and at 300 yards will cut through a 3/4" piece of steel like its butter. It will even leave a dimple in AR500 steel at that range.

I have shot both of those guns and they are great shooters, but be ready to pay for the ammo......even if you reload them you had better hope you can get the components at a good price.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
When it comes to the 338 lapua, All i'm going to say is that it is usaly cheeper to buy and reload a .50BMG, then the .338 lapua.
Other then that. exalent choice for snipeing.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
It is a 110BA in .338 lApua you want Brian. And top it with a Nightforce scope

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
youll be about 3500 bucks into a rig that you can use to pick the fleas off a mooses arse at 1400 yds.. Long distance brain surgery tool.. whichever way you wish to view it.. ;)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
338 Lapua is a fine round, very accurate, but very expensive, but a little less if you reload. I hear the .300 WinMag is a fine round, too, and pretty accurate and does not as much as the Lapua rounds.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Could always go with a combination of both and go 338 Win Mag.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
youll be about 3500 bucks into a rig that you can use to pick the fleas off a mooses arse at 1400 yds.. Long distance brain surgery tool.. whichever way you wish to view it.. ;)
Long distance brain surgery sounds good...oops...errrr...I mean shooting fleas, honest, really, truly, the check's in the mail :).
I was thinking over 1000 and possibly up to 2100 yards...if I get new glasses with a good prescription, anyway. Can you get one of those if I decide to order it? Biped, scope and all? I'm pretty sure I can sell the Marinator on it.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
3500 ! omg, My wife would use it on me! Even though she has never questioned my buying any weapon and has turned into a bit of a gun person herself i do believe id be called out on that one. I only came home once with the "Uh honey i got a good deal" excuse she told me that whatever it takes to keep us safe is your dept and shes behind me. But 3500? wow!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
3500 ! omg, My wife would use it on me! Even though she has never questioned my buying any weapon and has turned into a bit of a gun person herself i do believe id be called out on that one. I only came home once with the "Uh honey i got a good deal" excuse she told me that whatever it takes to keep us safe is your dept and shes behind me. But 3500? wow!
Well, she did just yell at me for suggesting we sell her truck...I didn't offer to sell mine, that's just insane lol. Maybe I'll tell her "but honey, we NEED it!"...yeah, that should get me smacked in the head. Wait...I could show her ads for MUCH more expensive ones first...then it won't sound like a small fortune lol.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Long distance brain surgery sounds good...oops...errrr...I mean shooting fleas, honest, really, truly, the check's in the mail :).
I was thinking over 1000 and possibly up to 2100 yards...if I get new glasses with a good prescription, anyway. Can you get one of those if I decide to order it? Biped, scope and all? I'm pretty sure I can sell the Marinator on it.
Bet I could. Between my self and the few connections I got. I bet I can dig ya one up. Glass is no biggie, have it shipped in with the mounts and rings. Gotta go MOA canted bases tho.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Well, she did just yell at me for suggesting we sell her truck...I didn't offer to sell mine, that's just insane lol. Maybe I'll tell her "but honey, we NEED it!"...yeah, that should get me smacked in the head. Wait...I could show her ads for MUCH more expensive ones first...then it won't sound like a small fortune lol.
this is easy.. Just show her the price tag on a H&K PSG1 marksman rifle and tell her its the only other alternative.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did show her a write up on the USMC sniper kit for nearly $30k a couple months back. I'll have to look up that H&K...might be just the ticket for convincing her it's a great deal...and also my line: if I don't get it we'll all die!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts