The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had the Rossi rifle I won in the anniversary drawing for awhile and haven’t been able to shoot it because I couldn’t find ammo anywhere. After weeks of searching, I finally found one place online that had 243 Winchester ammo in stock. Freedom Munitions. I’ve ordered ammo from them before so I know they are reliable. Their prices are usually competitive or better than other sites. But this.... This.....

20 rounds cost me $43.00 plus tax and shipping. Altogether it came out to just short of $63.00 for 20 rounds. 😡🙁😡

That rifle had better be bringing me breakfast in bed in the morning.

·
Premium Member
13,456 Posts
Wow....$3.00+ a round for 243. Who would ever have thought that possible. At least you found some.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow....$3.00+ a round for 243. Who would ever have thought that possible. At least you found some.
Believe me. I tried everyplace online and several local LGS stores. These are the only ones I found in stock anywhere. I have honestly never heard of 243 Winchester before the anniversary drawing went up. Never expected it to be such a popular round.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I paid over $6/round for my H&H 300 mag. But, I'm told, that $6/round was a pretty good deal given the age. Never would have thought a 243 Win would cost that much

·
Registered
98 Posts
last time i was in dicks sporting goods they had 243 win ammo on the shelves. i dont remember the price.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I paid over $6/round for my H&H 300 mag. But, I'm told, that $6/round was a pretty good deal given the age. Never would have thought a 243 Win would cost that much
Holy crap I have never paid over 2 bucks a round for any ammunition and the only one I spent 2 on was 458 winchester magnum

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Where is there a Richards sporting goods that stocks any of that evil ammunition? I thought they only sold volley balls and spandex nowadays.
Ya that had to be a while ago. Even before the official corporate proclamation some Richardhead outlets didn’t handle the “evil goods”.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
899 Posts
That's Crazy. Is .243 Winchester, different than regular .243? I've never heard of it referred to as .243 Winchester. 🤔

This thread makes me feel better about my 16cents/round .22LR. 😉

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
That's Crazy. Is .243 Winchester, different than regular .243? I've never heard of it referred to as .243 Winchester. 🤔

Don’t feel bad. My LGS has Aquila super extra for 20 cents a round. These guys are not gougers, they have always kept the price down through the various panics as best they could. The good news is it is still on the shelf. Last month that ammo would not have lasted a couple hours. This bunch had been there several days with just five boxes sold. They have 9mm, a good bit of it, at $38 for 50 fmj. It is stacked up and not moving out before it can be loaded on the shelves. 20 rounds of Tula 5.56 $13, 20 rounds Winchester white box $21. They have sold some but again it’s not flying out the door. Maybe, maybe things are starting to settle down?? Of course we have no idea what forgetful and the chuckling s)$t will try next. I doubt they know till they get the memo and que cards.

·
Super Moderator
28,006 Posts

No 243 Win is actually the proper name of the cartridge, people just got lazy and refer to it as plain ole 243.
Necked down 7mm-08, 308 Win or any of the -06 cases cut down and sized.

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
7,072 Posts
Wow! The last store-bought .243 Win I got from BassPro was a whopping $24 a box, and that was the Hornady hunting rounds - always way more expensive than regular shooting ammo. It's a good thing I laid in a supply of reloading components after we got rid of Obozo, and the last shortage relaxed a bit.

·
Premium Member
3,961 Posts

When those rounds came out (.243 and .244 they were named after Winchester and Remington........ Remington lost that fight from the gitgo. It is now just .243. The .244 died and came back as the 6MM Remington and died again.

·
Super Moderator
28,006 Posts
When those rounds came out (.243 and .244 they were named after Winchester and Remington........ Remington lost that fight from the gitgo. It is now just .243. The .244 died and came back as the 6MM Remington and died again.
The 6mm Rem isn't completely dead, there's a tack driver sitting in my safe right now.

·
Premium Member
3,961 Posts
The 6mm Rem isn't completely dead, there's a tack driver sitting in my safe right now.
I also have one from 1968......... but, ammo has been very sparse for years.

Reactions: jbmid1

·
Super Moderator
28,006 Posts
I also have one from 1968......... but, ammo has been very sparse for years.
True. I have 80 pieces of Norma brass, 20 have been loaded and fired, 60 are still new in the box.

Reactions: BlackEagle
1 - 20 of 44 Posts