The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,514 Posts
The 243 came out in 1955. It's been a standard since about the time it hit the shelves. The 244/6mm came out the same year but the twist was too slow for heavier 6mm bullets. The 244 is 1-12 twist and the 6mm is 1-9. Funny thing is Paul Mauser necked down the 7mm Mauser to 6mm in 1899....which is for all intents and purposes what the 6mm/244 Remington is. 7mm Mauser neced to 25 cal. for the 257 Roberts and they took the Roberts case and necked it to 6mm. Shoulder angles might be a bit different but, they're both based off the 7 X 57.

·
Registered
360 Posts
i have been a ant verse the grasshopper and have been squirrling shooting supplies away for decades(loaded my first shell in 1958). at flea markets,yard sales and going out of bussness sales. including casting equipment. if there was a good buy on 5000 primers, i bought 10000. and today i need nothing to keep shooting untill i croak.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I’m not sure they cost as much as these 45/70’s that I think “Quigley down under“was shooting out in the desert the other day.Ouchhhh! I bet the recoil hurts.Ha!Ha!
Congrats on your new gun.
7AB718AC-BABC-4E68-81F5-6032365D1DFC.jpeg

·
Registered
360 Posts
i could recycle them for ( primer.03 cents(3,00 a 100)- bullet .29 cents(29.00 a 100)- powder .19 cents)(26.00 a pound) .51 cents each with from my hoarded supplies.

·
Premium Member
4,412 Posts
I would if I could find primers.
You should find it easy to load for. I don't think mine has disliked any hunting bullets I've tried but it likes the $ Barnes TTSX best.

Reactions: joe45c and WillieB

·
Registered
11 Posts
time to get into reloading.
Good luck with that!!! I saw the writing on the wall years age and bought up supplies for reloaded. If you can find rifle primers and any primer I wish you luck. Powder is the same, bullet the same, but you can make bullets!!!! Then brass is another they, no brass the rest doesn't matter!!!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Was out at Canton Trade days here in Texas this past weekend, there was a guy who usually deals in toys/collectibles who just happened to have two tables of ammo: Herters 9mm = $1.00 a round minimum 100 rnd box, .308 = $65 a box (20 to a box) and so on. Several people looking, only one or two buyers, I couldn't do it (pretty good shape ammo wise myself) but this guy was acting like he was doing the public a favor at those prices by some of the $#!+ he was talking. There was another was a couple of others with ammo (all older stuff, you could tell by the boxes) that had crazy prices also. Been going there most my life (actually worked there for a few years) and haven't seen a decent deal on G&A in a really long time.

·
Super Moderator
28,083 Posts
And if y'all do, you need to take it to a PM.

Reactions: gdmoody
21 - 40 of 44 Posts