The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Armed Infidel
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to go to gun show yesterday in Jim Thorpe PA and my friend calls me from show and says do not bother. Mostly knives and some long guns. No sidearms at all and dealers were told to keep AR's-at home to avoid fights??

So we head to local gun store and do not see much interesting and we head to Cabelas. I check out .22 LR pistols as I have been interested in the Ruger SR 22. I checked out many and saw what was not in my mind but I fell in love with. I now got me a brandy new Sig Sauer 1911 in .22 LR. After a six hour background check I got it home and cleaned all that nasty packing grease out of it and very light coat of SBGO.

Funny though, Cabelas had not a single round of .22 LR ammo in the store.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Congrats. Altho I have not personally owned or fired one, I hear that Sig 1911-.22 is a very nice handgun.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Congratulations! I was at Academy Sports last week, and a guy there had bought one the week before, and loved it. His wife was there with him buying one for her self, as she liked it too! I had been talking to hubby for a few, but when the sales guy finally got to them I backed off, and just watched. She asked him how they were to the guns apart, and he suggested the sr# would work. As I left I told him to buy her some after market grips, maybe pink, and there would be an obvious difference! I go to handle one also, and I have to admit that I got the bug for that gun too!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I bought a Sig 1911-22 last year and it is a sweet shooter. I've put bulk Federal, CCI, Aquila, and Remington thru it with no problems. It comes with 3 different height front sights, and mine had the tallest installed, so it shot a little low. Swapped that out for the mid height sight, which made a big difference.

There are a couple things I don't much care for,but I can live with. Need tools to field strip it (little allen wrench), and I don't like magazine safeties/disconnects. Magazines are expensive also - only get one with the gun. Guess I'm just being picky. ;)

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I bought a Sig 1911-22 last year and it is a sweet shooter. I've put bulk Federal, CCI, Aquila, and Remington thru it with no problems. It comes with 3 different height front sights, and mine had the tallest installed, so it shot a little low. Swapped that out for the mid height sight, which made a big difference.

There are a couple things I don't much care for,but I can live with. Need tools to field strip it (little allen wrench), and I don't like magazine safeties/disconnects. Magazines are expensive also - only get one with the gun. Guess I'm just being picky. ;)
Now that I didn't know! I guess I'll stick with the old Colt Woodsman, it works the same as the 1911, except for the slide.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Now that I didn't know! I guess I'll stick with the old Colt Woodsman, it works the same as the 1911, except for the slide.
Which part didn't you know?

Here's mine - made the grips (birdseye maple and ebony). Also took off the right side thumb safety. Trigger is a little heavy, but I'll get that taken care of eventually. Probably end up filing the beavertail down someday also.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Definately get one of these or the better 1911-.22 clones over the Chiappa or Puma. I got a Chiappa right after they came out. Paid $300+ for it. What a POS. Never did get to stop jamming, no matter what ammo I used or how many. )(fired several K rounds) Spent a bunch of $ trying to fix it. New slide, ejector etc. Nothing worked. Finally traded it for a gun that cost 1/2 as much.

·
Armed Infidel
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Here are the first pics of the new "baby". Sorry I did not wipe fingerprints off before taking LOL. Yes, I love the three sights that came with it and also that the trigger is adjustable using the included allen wrench. I cannot wait to take it to range soon.

Now to get some kind of custom grips from Woodnut.

Attachments

·
Armed Infidel
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Hey Gunny, thanks. Maybe guys like you complained. Mine came with all tools necessary. Allen wrench and additional wrench. Came with extra mag included as well as free serpa type holdster. Also very nice cable lock. Got all for $419.00 as Cabelas yesterday.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Here are the first pics of the new "baby". Sorry I did not wipe fingerprints off before taking LOL. Yes, I love the three sights that came with it and also that the trigger is adjustable using the included allen wrench. I cannot wait to take it to range soon.
Here's a tip. Get a couple of spare allen wrenches (for trigger/sight, and the disassembly screw) and store them under one of the grip scales. If you're like me, keeping track of tiny little allen wrenches is not one of my strengths.

·
Administrator
32,504 Posts

Now to get some kind of custom grips from Woodnut.

Terry, that screw in the trigger is an overtravel adj screw.

·
Premium Member
19,871 Posts
terry give us a range report if you can ever find any .22 ammo. There is none around here ether.

·
Armed Infidel
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Shooter. I love any advice and tips. It was an adventure breaking it down to get packing grease out of it for the first time and not getting to be old pro LOL. Gunny, I have lots of tools and have accumulated a cigar box of allen wrenches from various sources over the years and probably have at least 4-5 in that size along with one in the new set of "T" handle allen wrenches I bought a yr or two ago. Please keep the tips and ideas coming. I know nothing about 1911's

·
Registered
95 Posts
With the extra mag and the holster included you did get a good deal. My Sig has close to 3000 rounds now, it's still as fun a shooter as the first day.

Hope you find some ammo. It would be best to run CCI MiniMAgs for your first 100 - 200 rounds. Just make sure they are HV and not hollow points until after that first 200. After the slide mates up metal-to-metal and the springs loosen up, you can shoot all kinds of ammo after that.

Need to get a range report and pictures!

·
Banned
284 Posts
I recently looked at one of these but did not buy. Because I could see the hammer spring, and it looked a bit thin to me, I was initially spooked. It is nice to see some testimonials on this. This is maybe a dumb question ( I did not look further into it on my own ) but does it break down like a .45 1911?? That is one of the reasons I was considering it. I'd like to be able to strip both of them in the dark without any issues.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I recently looked at one of these but did not buy. Because I could see the hammer spring, and it looked a bit thin to me, I was initially spooked. It is nice to see some testimonials on this. This is maybe a dumb question ( I did not look further into it on my own ) but does it break down like a .45 1911?? That is one of the reasons I was considering it. I'd like to be able to strip both of them in the dark without any issues.
It is similar breakdown to a GI 1911, except for the little takedown screw that requires a small allen wrench. That might be a stopper for you, especially in the dark. And there's a recoil spring guide. Here's the owners manual which you might want to take a look at: http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/CmsContent/documents/1911_22LRMiniManual_1911088HR.pdf

·
Armed Infidel
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Heading out in half hour to the range with the new .22 1911 and a brick of that ARMSCOR hollow points I got. Alse a few hundred rounds of /ccI MiniMAags. will let you know how it goes if they plowed the range LOL. a little snow last night and it is still 18 degrees out. It should get to a balmy 22 today.

·
Registered
52 Posts
certainly looks to be a nice quality piece , but ive always felt sig was quality stuff , is this a 'full sized' version ? or is it a scaled down item like the colts that are made by walther ?

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Which part didn't you know?

Here's mine - made the grips (birdseye maple and ebony). Also took off the right side thumb safety. Trigger is a little heavy, but I'll get that taken care of eventually. Probably end up filing the beavertail down someday also.

The part about "there are a couple things I don't much care for,but I can live with. Need tools to field strip it (little allen wrench), and I don't like magazine safeties/disconnects. Magazines are expensive also - only get one with the gun".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts