The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who owns a Saiga AK 47 and how do you like it? I may get one..

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Check it over real good dan before you do. Ive had quite a few of the saiga AKs and the PAP70s imported by Zastave that have crooked if any feed ramp at all cut into the barrel. Ive gotten fairly good at getting in there with an acorn grinder in a dremel and widening the ramp and polishing it so they'll feed. Take a magazine and some dummy 7.62X39 with you when you go shopping for one. If the ramp is bad itll ram the nose of the cartridge into the breech. That little thumbnail shaped bevel is what centers the round coming out of the staggered mag so it can chamber.

Other than that. They are AKs. They'll eat anything and like to be hot n dirty.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Yep, mis cut feed ramps, canted front sights, canted rear sight bases, mags that don't fit, mags that dont feed, bolts that stick to the rear, bolts that won't strip a round out of the mag, triggers that don't return, triggers that slap when the hammer catches on the disconnect..........wooooooo sorry, I was reading my service records on the Saigas out loud and somehow ended up typing out. Go buy something that wasn't made in a cave please.

·
Premium Member
12,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have bid on this one. According to the owner it is a good shooter. Built by the Izhmash russian factory. Were there some not built there?? Anyhow, now that my AR stable is full I started looking at an AK and the price may be right on this one...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Thats the non converted AK. Long trigger assembly, some are double stacks, some are not, so make sure. They arn't too bad. Ive seen some with that stock set up. Its pretty flimsy. Izhmash is built in russia. Saiga and WASR are built who knows were, probably a cave like I said.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Yeah WASRs are romarm imports built in Romanian caves by vampires.

As far as AKs go I like the polish 1960s and the Poly Techs. Both Milled AKs. As far as AKs are concerned, you wont find a beter made one than a good milled one.

·
Registered
19,290 Posts
i was hesitant on my wasr.. but got it for a good price a few years ago.. nad on the very first stroke of the bolt to strip and chamber a round it only went into battery 95%.. i gave it a tap and it went in. since then.. not a single issue.. digests all brands and case types.. takes all mags i've fed it.. and is quite accurate for a beater such as it is.

·
Premium Member
12,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I never really have been interested in AKs and dont know much about them. I know I wont be building a collection like I have with ARs...

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
I have a WASR AK, and like it very much. I'm getting a 4" group at 100yds with it, and have not had a single problem with it. I also own the Sagia AK in 308, and also love this rifle as well. No problems with either gun.

·
Registered
19,290 Posts
I have a WASR AK, and like it very much. I'm getting a 4" group at 100yds with it, and have not had a single problem with it. I also own the Sagia AK in 308, and also love this rifle as well. No problems with either gun.
i agree.. my wasr groups amazinglywell for what it is.

it's ONLY downside is that it tosses spent cases ALL OVER the palce.. and flings them pretty darn far!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.