The Firearms Forum banner

How do you carry?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Most pistols have a manual external safety. When seconds count why would you place yourself at a disadvantage by wasting precious seconds to rack the slide? This should have been done before leaving the house.

This is in response to my NRA instructor sister telling me she always carries chamber empty. I just don't understand. It makes absolutely no sense to me from a tactical standpoint. Maybe she doesn't understand how quickly things escalate these days.

I carry Glocks and 1911's and I'm in Condition "1" with my 1911's (cocked and locked) 24/7. Having survived a car jacking attempt, I can attest to just how fast a punk can get to you.

How do you carry and what is your justification / reason for doing so?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, technically, that little finger thingy is a safety. Right?

·
Super Moderator
38,498 Posts
Cocked and locked, for the reason you stated. I find it pretty stupid to have a gun and then NOT have it ready. You gonna ask the bad guy if he can wait just a second so you can chamber a round?

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
XDS no real safety, its off once I grab the pistol and pull from holster, so I am not one of the ones you will read about shooting themselves, on the other hand thats why I am looking for a SIG 229 in 9MM. Now my Ruger P91 was always loaded but it has like a 12lb DA only trigger pull, so was my SIG Tacop 1911.

·
Premium Member
7,577 Posts
My EDC is a Smith Model 60, carried fully loaded, hammer down, built in hammer block. I also carry a Kimber Pro Carry II cocked and locked. Not may things will get you killed as fast as drawing an unloaded gun in a gunfight will.

·
Junior Advanced Senior Member In Training
7,242 Posts
Cocked and locked...

·
Premium Member
19,200 Posts
I have seen to many AD in my day not to be as safe as I can. I train pulling my gun and racking the slide. I can do it pretty fast.

If I am in a hot zone where the likelihood of needing my gun is high it will be racked. Otherwise it will not be. When I carry my revolvers they are ready to go since they have no safety. I don't use the safety on my auto's ether.

·
Premium Member
7,577 Posts
I should add that my holsters are all thumbstrap types, adding to the safety while the guns are holstered.

·
Premium Member
9,765 Posts
Always ready to go, LCP or XDs9.

I just don't understand carrying with no round chambered. Some say it's quick to rack the slide, but what if they have grabbed the racking arm?

·
9,042 Posts
Well, technically, that little finger thingy is a safety. Right?
Same as my SW.

Always ready to go, LCP or XDs9.

I just don't understand carrying with no round chambered. Some say it's quick to rack the slide, but what if they have grabbed the racking arm?
If I am in a store and some crackhead is robbing the place I don't want it hearing me chamber a round.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I have seen to many AD in my day not to be as safe as I can. I train pulling my gun and racking the slide. I can do it pretty fast.

If I am in a hot zone where the likelihood of needing my gun is high it will be racked. Otherwise it will not be. When I carry my revolvers they are ready to go since they have no safety. I don't use the safety on my auto's ether.
So you carry a paper weight... Not being a jerk, but an unloaded gun is useless except as a bad club. What are you going to do if youre injured first? What if youre carrying something or your child? If you are that worried about an ND, train more.

I carry locked and loaded. Whether its my PT111G2 (one in the pipe, safety on), my LCP (one in the pipe, 50lb trigger), or my mini revolver (all chambers loaded, hammer in safety notch on cylender). Why? because Im carrying a gun, not a club.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts