·
Registered
259 Posts
EDC and BUG - Condition 2

Reactions: Firedog

·
Premium Member
34,535 Posts
I carry cocked, and locked, and I carry hammer down, and a live round under the hammer. Depends on which gun I'm carrying. 1911 style guns, cocked and locked. DA guns, one in the chamber, hammer down. I do not like to mix carrying pistols that operate differently. To much to remember! You shouldn't have to think about do I disengage the safety, or just pull the trigger? When I make the switch, I spend quite a bit of time practicing with the gun I will be carrying for the next year, or so. I don't carry a 1911 one day, and a Beretta, or a Walther, the next day.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I carry cocked, and locked, and I carry hammer down, and a live round under the hammer. Depends on which gun I'm carrying. 1911 style guns, cocked and locked. DA guns, one in the chamber, hammer down. I do not like to mix carrying pistols that operate differently. To much to remember! You shouldn't have to think about do I disengage the safety, or just pull the trigger? When I make the switch, I spend quite a bit of time practicing with the gun I will be carrying for the next year, or so. I don't carry a 1911 one day, and a Beretta, or a Walther, the next day.
Ive noticed that when I draw my LCP, my thumb still sweeps down for the safety as I draw.

Reactions: Firedog and carver

·
Premium Member
34,535 Posts
Doesn't the Military/Police in Israel carry on an empty chamber?
Ive noticed that when I draw my LCP, my thumb still sweeps down for the safety as I draw.
And reaching for that safety is time lost in a gun fight! On the other hand, you might be carrying a pistol with a safety, thinking you are carrying a DA pistol, and forget to disengage the safety. Carry one, or the other.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
And reaching for that safety is time lost in a gun fight! On the other hand, you might be carrying a pistol with a safety, thinking you are carrying a DA pistol, and forget to disengage the safety. Carry one, or the other.
No lost time, as it happens during draw. I agree that carrying similar platforms is best, with the only difference in my main carrys being a safety.

Reactions: Firedog

·
Premium Member
34,535 Posts
No lost time, as it happens during draw. I agree that carrying similar platforms is best, with the only difference in my main carrys being a safety.
A BUG does not have to have the same trigger as your EDC. Mix and match here. But the gun you go to first had better be the one you practice with!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I have seen to many AD in my day not to be as safe as I can. I train pulling my gun and racking the slide. I can do it pretty fast.

If I am in a hot zone where the likelihood of needing my gun is high it will be racked. Otherwise it will not be. When I carry my revolvers they are ready to go since they have no safety. I don't use the safety on my auto's ether.
Is it just me or what-
I've always connect the term "hot zone" with war-time when you are almost certain of being engaged by an enemy. I personally, don't know of any "Hot Zones" here in the USA. Crime is everywhere and you can be a victim of such a crime anywhere & anytime. (See it everyday on the news)

I sure would love to know where the "SAFE" Zones are in our country. Where are the places you feel 100% CERTAIN you are completely safe? (I may need to move.) :)

Where are these "Hot Zones" you speak of? (I want to be sure to avoid them at all costs!) :D

-

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
He could have been faster if he had racked coming up.
For all the practice he does he had to look where his holster was to reholster?? o_O
Just some observations........
I do carry one chambered because, well, it is house rules. I don't make the rules, when it comes to guns, I just follow them.
But with 2 active patrol dogs, 2 retired, 2 up and coming and difficult access to the house, I feel pretty darn safe here. :D

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Is it just me or what-
I've always connect the term "hot zone" with war-time when you are almost certain of being engaged by an enemy. I personally, don't know of any "Hot Zones" here in the USA. Crime is everywhere and you can be a victim of such a crime anywhere & anytime. (See it everyday on the news)

I sure would love to know where the "SAFE" Zones are in our country. Where are the places you feel 100% CERTAIN you are completely safe? (I may need to move.) :)

Where are these "Hot Zones" you speak of? (I want to be sure to avoid them at all costs!) :D

-
If I think somewhere is a dangerous place, I dont go there. Otherwise, Im prepared as best I can at all times.

·
Premium Member
34,535 Posts
He could have been faster if he had racked coming up.
For all the practice he does he had to look where his holster was to reholster?? o_O
Just some observations........
I do carry one chambered because, well, it is house rules. I don't make the rules, when it comes to guns, I just follow them.
But with 2 active patrol dogs, 2 retired, 2 up and coming and difficult access to the house, I feel pretty darn safe here. :D
He admitted that he doesn't train with an empty chamber. And I'm sure that there are those that do carry, and train, with an empty chamber, that may be a tad faster than he is. But still, it's a whole lot faster to just draw, and shoot, when a split second counts!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Oh, I realize he said he didn't, I was simply making a comment on the technique, not a criticism of what he was trying to show. Just saying he could have been faster with a different technique.
I think it comes down to what you are comfortable with and practice. A round in the chamber doesn't do you any good if you have to fumble to get the gun out of the holster. So if you practice a draw / rack / shoot, and are faster than the guy with a round chambered that fumbles on the draw, or getting on target, who is ahead of the game in the end?
I think arguments can be made either way and yes I agree having one chambered can be that split second that counts.

·
Premium Member
34,535 Posts
Oh, I realize he said he didn't, I was simply making a comment on the technique, not a criticism of what he was trying to show. Just saying he could have been faster with a different technique.
I think it comes down to what you are comfortable with and practice. A round in the chamber doesn't do you any good if you have to fumble to get the gun out of the holster. So if you practice a draw / rack / shoot, and are faster than the guy with a round chambered that fumbles on the draw, or getting on target, who is ahead of the game in the end?
I think arguments can be made either way and yes I agree having one chambered can be that split second that counts.
The way I see it is that the BG already has a gun in his hand, yours is in your holster. You are already behind the 8 ball, you can't beat him to the draw! So you move toward cover, as fast as you can, draw while on the move, and if he is shooting at you, you shoot back, and try to get hits center mass, while moving to cover. If I don't see a gun, why draw on him? If I can't see both of his hands, I start moving toward cover while watching him.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I don't carry any guns with a safety so I have a hot one the chamber and ready to go when I pull the trigger. Its a big reason I'm hesitant to even carry my 1911, or get a smaller 1911 for carry, since I have to worry about that safety while in a crazy situation. I figure if I have a well designed gun and a good holster I don't have any worries. Having to rack the slide makes deploying my weapon a two handed job and I may be holding someone off with my off hand or already shot in the arm, etc.

·
Premium Member
19,192 Posts
So you carry a paper weight... Not being a jerk, but an unloaded gun is useless except as a bad club. What are you going to do if youre injured first? What if youre carrying something or your child? If you are that worried about an ND, train more.

I carry locked and loaded. Whether its my PT111G2 (one in the pipe, safety on), my LCP (one in the pipe, 50lb trigger), or my mini revolver (all chambers loaded, hammer in safety notch on cylender). Why? because Im carrying a gun, not a club.
My youngest is 28. I don't think I could carry him.

·
Garandaholic
9,379 Posts
I like to carry a SIG 226 or 224. Round chambered, hammer down. No safety.
As time marches on, I find I carry a SIG 938 more and more, chambered, cocked, safety on.
I prefer the condition of no safety, but the convenience of that real small gun is winning me over.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts