The Firearms Forum banner

How do you carry?

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Striker fired, loaded chamber. Has two safeties. The one behind my eyes switches off on its own according to my wife, and the one on the end of my hand still works. :cool:

On a serious note, and this is just my honest and truthful opinion, if you are worried about a gun going off on the draw/in the holster you have a possibility of three separate problems. Wrong gun, wrong holster, and/or lack of training. I do a lot of dry fire training where I start with a slow draw keeping my finger off the trigger until on target, do it over and over until my finger hits the trigger when it's supposed to, not before, not after. Then just start progressing faster. Once you've got a good rythm turned into muscle memory, go out to the range, live fire, slow draw, progress SLOWLY with EXTREME CAUTION and be mindful and safe. That's what I do, and it's worked well so far. I assume no liability should someone shoot something they weren't supposed to trying this.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Don't sweep to fast and shoot your foot off.
Maybe its too early, but Im not following

My youngest is 28. I don't think I could carry him.
I think you get my point... Just in case you dont: can you GUARANTEE that you will have both hands available and able to rack the slide? No, none of us can. So, what then? Throw your crappy club and run?

@TigerLeo hit the nail on the head. If you arent comfortable carrying with one in the pipe, you either need a gun you can trust, or to train until you trust yourself, or both.

Reactions: TigerLeo and carver

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
There are lots of one handed ways to rack a slide. It just takes practice.
What do you do if you run dry and have to change mags or reload one handed? Are you just going to toss the gun because you don't have 2 hands? I would hope not. What if it jams? How are you going to fix it one handed. Toss it? Again, I would hope not.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
What do you do if you run dry and have to change mags or reload one handed? Are you just going to toss the gun because you don't have 2 hands? I would hope not. What if it jams? How are you going to fix it one handed. Toss it? Again, I would hope not.
But I guarantee that none of the one handed ways are as fast as simply drawing and firing. If Ive used 13 rounds on a BG, Ill draw my BUG and GTFO as quick as I can.

Reactions: AaronW and carver

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
If you want to add extra steps to getting your firearm into a potential fight thats your decision. I see zero value in that for me though. No guns I carry just go off on their own and have built in safeties so they will not discharge if dropped.

In any event people should carry as they see fit and are comfortable with, a gun you have to rack the slide on is better than no gun no matter how one looks at it.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
The comment was simply in regards to the statement that you needed two hands to rack a slide. You don't. I can't imagine that anyone would think it is just as fast as drawing and shooting, or gather that inference from the comment.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
The comment was simply in regards to the statement that you needed two hands to rack a slide. You don't. I can't imagine that anyone would think it is just as fast as drawing and shooting, or gather that inference from the comment.
Maybe I should rephrase "you need two hands to effectively rack the slide in a life or death situation. Relying on said technique is asking to die in said situation. Carrying on an empty chamber means you either dont trust your gun, or dont trust yourself. Both cases are a recipe for disaster and increase the likelihood of being killed when you need your gun."

·
Banned
479 Posts
If you want to, then do.
If you don't want to, then don't.
But for the love of God MYOB and quit obsessing over what someone else does. Grow a pair and make your own decisions and then live with it.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Yes Science!! I did allow multiple votes but not for Democraps

Reactions: crystalphoto

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
@TigerLeo hit the nail on the head. If you arent comfortable carrying with one in the pipe, you either need a gun you can trust, or to train until you trust yourself, or both.
Thank you for the vindication! I was worried somebody might take a fence to that! (See what I did there?) Honestly, I really don't see what the point of carrying on an empty chamber is... I get having the safety on, but not having your carry ready to roll is like waiting until you've run out of gas to fill the tank. None of us carry hoping you use it. We carry hoping to have it if we have need of it. Putting your seatbelt on right before you crash might sound like a good idea, but the chances of having the time... It's just like the "+1" debate... If you have a firearm that's designed to do it, why wouldn't you want to have that extra round?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Thank you for the vindication! I was worried somebody might take a fence to that! (See what I did there?) Honestly, I really don't see what the point of carrying on an empty chamber is... I get having the safety on, but not having your carry ready to roll is like waiting until you've run out of gas to fill the tank. None of us carry hoping you use it. We carry hoping to have it if we have need of it. Putting your seatbelt on right before you crash might sound like a good idea, but the chances of having the time... It's just like the "+1" debate... If you have a firearm that's designed to do it, why wouldn't you want to have that extra round?
Agreed. But, its their lives on the line. I guess if they are willing to take an unnecessarily dangerous chance, let em.

Reactions: Arteest

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
If I think somewhere is a dangerous place, I dont go there. Otherwise, Im prepared as best I can at all times.
What is your criteria for making such a determination?
  • Can the simple task of going to get gas be dangerous?
  • Can going to buy groceries be dangerous?
  • Can going out to diner with you significant other be dangerous?
  • Can going to church be dangerous?
  • When going anywhere how can you foresee if a place is going to be dangerous at any given moment?
Personally, I can't know that any more than I can know what tomorrow may hold. So, I try to stay prepared this best I can no matter what. Although, a few generalities do exist in a dangerous encounter, there is no guarantee that anyplace we go can be ruled as NOT dangerous. Therefore, I see it as important that I treat everyplace I visit as potentially dangerous.

I'm not being argumentative. I just want to make a point that the main reason people do not carry chambered is some insecurity with their weapon or insecurity in their abilities to prevent an ND. (Both issues can be overcome with more training.)
JMH02c

-

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
What is your criteria for making such a determination?
  • Can the simple task of going to get gas be dangerous?
  • Can going to buy groceries be dangerous?
  • Can going out to diner with you significant other be dangerous?
  • When going anywhere how can you foresee if a place is going to be dangerous at any given moment?
Personally, I can't know that any more than I can know what tomorrow may hold. So, I try to stay prepared this best I can no matter what. Although, a few generalities do exist in a dangerous encounter, there is no guarantee that anyplace we go can be ruled as NOT dangerous.
JMH02c
Abnormally dangerous. Anything can turn dangerous, but I avoid places known to be dangerous.

Such as

• bad side of town
  • gas stations known to be druggie hangouts
  • unlit back alleys
  • known drug ridden trailer parks
We cant know when trouble will come, but we can avoid situations that common sense says have a high likelihood of ending badly.

There was a time when I would roam the dirt track pits just looking for a fight, I found plenty. But now I try and avoid fights, a few still find me.

I think that if you had even a single inkling of common sense you would be able to comprehend what was posted, however you seem to be just looking to pick an argument.

·
Registered
558 Posts
FWIW My generation was taught to never trust a safety.
One of the cardinal rules of safe gun handling.
It takes a lot to mentally overcome that mindset.
There was a whole 'nother universe before Jeff Cooper.
I think I understand the OP's reluctance.
Just sayin'
IIRC the IDF's manual of arms for the 1911 (HP?) was for empty chamber carry and a "slingshot" draw.
My preference is cocked and locked though.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
FWIW My generation was taught to never trust a safety.
One of the cardinal rules of safe gun handling.
It takes a lot to mentally overcome that mindset.
There was a whole 'nother universe before Jeff Cooper.
I think I understand the OP's reluctance.
Just sayin'
IIRC the IDF's manual of arms for the 1911 (HP?) was for empty chamber carry and a "slingshot" draw.
My preference is cocked and locked though.
Doesn't the Israeli army carry their semi-auto handguns with an empty chamber? I forget where I read that. What is the reason for that requirement if that is indeed the case?

41 - 57 of 57 Posts