So why carry a concealed pistol w/ an empty chamber??

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by 45nut, Jul 9, 2018.

How do you carry?

Poll closed Jul 12, 2018.
  1. Cocked and locked (chambered w/ safety on)

76.5%
  2. chambered hammer down (safety off)

29.4%
  3. not chambered with full magazine (NOT clip!! lol)

8.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Stahlrosen

Stahlrosen Well-Known Member

He could have been faster if he had racked coming up.
    For all the practice he does he had to look where his holster was to reholster?? o_O
    Just some observations........
    I do carry one chambered because, well, it is house rules. I don't make the rules, when it comes to guns, I just follow them.
    But with 2 active patrol dogs, 2 retired, 2 up and coming and difficult access to the house, I feel pretty darn safe here. :D

2. jsjj388

jsjj388 Well-Known Member

If I think somewhere is a dangerous place, I dont go there. Otherwise, Im prepared as best I can at all times.

3. carver

carver Well-Known Member Supporting Member

He admitted that he doesn't train with an empty chamber. And I'm sure that there are those that do carry, and train, with an empty chamber, that may be a tad faster than he is. But still, it's a whole lot faster to just draw, and shoot, when a split second counts!

Firedog and jsjj388 like this.
  4. Stahlrosen

Oh, I realize he said he didn't, I was simply making a comment on the technique, not a criticism of what he was trying to show. Just saying he could have been faster with a different technique.
    I think it comes down to what you are comfortable with and practice. A round in the chamber doesn't do you any good if you have to fumble to get the gun out of the holster. So if you practice a draw / rack / shoot, and are faster than the guy with a round chambered that fumbles on the draw, or getting on target, who is ahead of the game in the end?
    I think arguments can be made either way and yes I agree having one chambered can be that split second that counts.

Firedog likes this.
  5. carver

carver Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The way I see it is that the BG already has a gun in his hand, yours is in your holster. You are already behind the 8 ball, you can't beat him to the draw! So you move toward cover, as fast as you can, draw while on the move, and if he is shooting at you, you shoot back, and try to get hits center mass, while moving to cover. If I don't see a gun, why draw on him? If I can't see both of his hands, I start moving toward cover while watching him.

Firedog, jedwil, tedwitt and 2 others like this.
  6. tedwitt

tedwitt 440 Supporting Member

Don't sweep to fast and shoot your foot off.

carver and Firedog like this.
  7. AaronW

AaronW Well-Known Member

I don't carry any guns with a safety so I have a hot one the chamber and ready to go when I pull the trigger. Its a big reason I'm hesitant to even carry my 1911, or get a smaller 1911 for carry, since I have to worry about that safety while in a crazy situation. I figure if I have a well designed gun and a good holster I don't have any worries. Having to rack the slide makes deploying my weapon a two handed job and I may be holding someone off with my off hand or already shot in the arm, etc.

carver, Firedog and jedwil like this.
  8. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My youngest is 28. I don't think I could carry him.

carver, Firedog, crystalphoto and 2 others like this.
  9. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Garandaholic Supporting Member

I like to carry a SIG 226 or 224. Round chambered, hammer down. No safety.
    As time marches on, I find I carry a SIG 938 more and more, chambered, cocked, safety on.
    I prefer the condition of no safety, but the convenience of that real small gun is winning me over.

carver, Stahlrosen and Firedog like this.
  10. Hovannes

Hovannes Well-Known Member

All five of my chambers are loaded, it's uncocked and no external safety required!

jsjj388, carver and Firedog like this.
  11. TigerLeo

TigerLeo Well-Known Member

Striker fired, loaded chamber. Has two safeties. The one behind my eyes switches off on its own according to my wife, and the one on the end of my hand still works. :cool:

On a serious note, and this is just my honest and truthful opinion, if you are worried about a gun going off on the draw/in the holster you have a possibility of three separate problems. Wrong gun, wrong holster, and/or lack of training. I do a lot of dry fire training where I start with a slow draw keeping my finger off the trigger until on target, do it over and over until my finger hits the trigger when it's supposed to, not before, not after. Then just start progressing faster. Once you've got a good rythm turned into muscle memory, go out to the range, live fire, slow draw, progress SLOWLY with EXTREME CAUTION and be mindful and safe. That's what I do, and it's worked well so far. I assume no liability should someone shoot something they weren't supposed to trying this.

12. jsjj388

Maybe its too early, but Im not following

I think you get my point... Just in case you dont: can you GUARANTEE that you will have both hands available and able to rack the slide? No, none of us can. So, what then? Throw your crappy club and run?

@TigerLeo hit the nail on the head. If you arent comfortable carrying with one in the pipe, you either need a gun you can trust, or to train until you trust yourself, or both.

TigerLeo and carver like this.
  13. Stahlrosen

There are lots of one handed ways to rack a slide. It just takes practice.
    What do you do if you run dry and have to change mags or reload one handed? Are you just going to toss the gun because you don't have 2 hands? I would hope not. What if it jams? How are you going to fix it one handed. Toss it? Again, I would hope not.

CCHolderinMaine and carver like this.
  14. jsjj388

But I guarantee that none of the one handed ways are as fast as simply drawing and firing. If Ive used 13 rounds on a BG, Ill draw my BUG and GTFO as quick as I can.

AaronW and carver like this.
  15. AaronW

AaronW Well-Known Member

If you want to add extra steps to getting your firearm into a potential fight thats your decision. I see zero value in that for me though. No guns I carry just go off on their own and have built in safeties so they will not discharge if dropped.

In any event people should carry as they see fit and are comfortable with, a gun you have to rack the slide on is better than no gun no matter how one looks at it.

CCHolderinMaine and carver like this.