softer bullets for 1858 pietta

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by chico, Aug 12, 2017.

1. chico

chico New Member

can anyone recommend a good bullet to shoot though my 1858 pietta 250 gr the hard cast ones i tried scratched the inside of my barrel need softer lead any ideas

2. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I believe that. Some piece of grit stuck the bullet may have scratched it but I don't believe the bullet did, not even hard cast.

As far as a source for softer bullets I don't know. Best would be to cast your own if you're set up to cast bullets. Or, perhaps a friend who casts?

3. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

I'm going to second Sharp's opinion, you can't cut carbon steel with lead, something else scratched the bore. Does the scratch twist around just as the rifling grooves do or is it a straight line?

dbcooper, Kweeksdraw, Big Mak and 2 others like this.
  4. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

Kweeksdraw, Big Mak and jim brady like this.
  5. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

You need to either buy or cast your own pure lead bullets. Hard cast bullets are made for smokeless cartridge loading - not black powder.

Casting your own bullets isn't hard or complex. If you are competent enough to load and shoot a black powder weapon - you ought to be able to accomplish casting bullets or balls to use in them. A simple cast iron pot and a camping stove (if your wife doesn't want you melting lead on her stove), a bullet mold, a lead dipper and an old broom handle are all you need - except of course some pure lead. You can make it really simple and get a cheap Lee aluminum mold (they heat up faster and cost much less than a steel mold).

Kweeksdraw, Firpo and BlackEagle like this.
  6. Kweeksdraw

Kweeksdraw Well-Known Member

Chico, are you shooting your 1858 with percussion caps, or centerfire with a conversion cylinder? You may just have lead deposits in the barrel, making it look scratched.

dbcooper and The_Rifleman like this.
  7. Big Mak

Big Mak Well-Known Member Supporting Member

To clean that 'scratch' out (lead deposits) I highly recommend Barnes CR-10.
    The stuff stinks to high heaven but it will literally clean out any copper or lead fouling if you follow the directions.

jim brady and Kweeksdraw like this.