SOG's gunsmith specials.

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (4/11/02 11:05:19 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All
    ezSupporter
    SOG's gunsmith specials.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Has anyone purchased any of the gunsmith specials from SOG?

I'm thinking about picking up a couple of their 91/30's for $30 each and some of their 91/30's with a crack but repairable stock for $28. Any idea as to what I might expect?

How about their K98's for $95 and the Israeli K98's for $119?

The SOG flyer has bothered me since I got it...Geeez what to do..?

The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/12/02 12:16:17 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: SOG's gunsmith specials.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FL, first time I bought some of their "Gunsmith Specials" I was pretty happy...got two nice transition 91/30s that I kept...a 1920 and a 1929...that have barrels about 3/4" longer than a real 91/30...like they made them with dragoon barrels...but with very early correct 91/30 stocks and sights...

They both had slight cracks in the stock right behind the reciever, the 1920 is serviceable as is, the 1929 MAY have to be fixed first before firing, but I just have them on the rack, probably won't fire them, just for comparison...finish was almost nonexistent, bores were decent, rifles were complete, the cracks were the only issue...

I also got several $34.95 M44 "Gunsmith Specials," and they were nice, one was a sweet MATCHING laminated rearsenal that had a busted in half handguard, even had a rod!...I actually put the handguard from my other laminated on it and kept it, it was that much better and sold the other with the busted handguard...

BUT, having said that. last week I ordered two more Russian 44s, and I noticed they had raised the price to $37.95, and said "may be missing sights."

I asked if I could be sure to get two wartime with sights...

Well, I did...and I was disappointed...both stocks cracked in the wrist area, one I repaired, the other I'm not sure I can, metal was so so, one was missing a mag screw, the other a buttplate screw..no rods...

But the kicker is both have bores that are terrible, I've worked and worked, shot one of them a bunch, tried everything from boiling water and Dawn to Hoppes to WWII bore cleaner to denatured alcohol, and best I can get them to is "dark." And they are NOT very accurate, either, rifling looks kinda washed out...

About the only good thing is their ad had them at $37.95, they only charged me the old $34.95 price, and both handguards were solid...but I should have spent the extra $12 each and got the basic VG ones....
    "Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/12/02 5:00:39 am)
    Polish have you tried the battery charger trick on those bores?

cointoss 2
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/12/02 9:29:51 am)
    Also you might try JB bore paste or Flitz.
    cointoss2

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/12/02 10:52:04 am)
    No pig, I haven't, I'll have to dig up Moskas or whoever it was post about it...but knowing me I'd probably fry myself or burn down my house...

I'll try the polishing route first, so Flitz works?

Worst part it I was really going to town on it with a tornado brush and somehow snapped my aluminum cleaning rod, CRAP, have to get another now...
    "Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (4/12/02 11:42:02 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: SOG's gunsmith specials.
    Thanks for the info polishshooter!! I went a little crazy and ordered 3 of them 91/30's plus an arsenal refinished one. One M39, two more Turks, one Turk 1893 and two M91's. I think my wife is gonna kill me.

Before she does, allow me to pass the site below to you. It's for a "Do-it-yourself" Electrochemical Bore Cleaner.
    www.geocities.com/kemays/foulout.htm

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/12/02 2:33:04 pm)
    That looks neat, but stupid question...where do you find a "stainless steel rod"?

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (4/12/02 7:55:40 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: SOG's gunsmith specials.
    Good question. Maybe a hardware store?? I dunno.