Soldiers Call for Army to Drop Berets

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RunningOnMT, Apr 21, 2009.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Seems the berets have become uncomfortable to soldiers, unlike the troops in the past that had to earn the right to wear one. Perhaps now they will go back to reserving the beret for Special Forces and Rangers as it should be.

http://www.military.com/news/article/soldiers-call-for-army-to-drop-berets.html?col=1186032325324

Soldiers Call for Army to Drop Berets
    April 18, 2009
    Stars and Stripes|by Ashley Rowland

SEOUL — They’re hot, sweaty and do nothing to keep the sun out of your eyes during a long formation.

Those are just a few of the reasons the Army should stop making soldiers wear wool berets outdoors, a group of delegates said Friday at the 8th Army’s annual Army Family Action Plan conference.

"Everyone is affected by the beret," said Sgt. Brad Stuckey, spokesman for a group that studied family-support issues. "This is an issue that your average soldier feels very strongly about."

The group recommended that soldiers be required to wear lighter, cotton-nylon blend patrol caps instead. They block the sun, absorb sweat and are somewhat water resistant, Stuckey said.

Soldiers had a list of complaints about the black beret. Among them:

*It doesn’t match the Army Combat Uniform, which has no black in its pattern.

*It has to be shaved, washed and dried on a lampshade or hat stand to hold its shape.

*It can cost nearly twice as much as a patrol cap, and there’s no standard way to wear it.

"You have seven people wearing it seven different ways," said Chief Warrant Officer 2 Jon Butler.

He said people have complained about the beret since it became part of the uniform in 2001.

"It’s been brought up a lot, but it’s consistently shot down," he said. "If it’s an issue enough to keep being brought up, then there’s definitely something behind it."

8th Army commander Lt. Gen. Joseph Fil said at the end of the conference that all of the ideas presented were good ones.

"We’re going to have to think about the one on the beret," he said. "That’s a hard sell."

2. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

My Airborne Infantry son wore his distinct maroon-colored beret with pride, as he should.

I agree with ROMT about keeping the berets for those who "earned them" ...and I agree with the reasons given by the soldiers for a more user-friendly cap.

3. jim summers

jim summers Well-Known Member

I reside in southern Indiana, you can almost step
    If you are not a Ranger or Special Forces then you should not be wearing a Beret.
    This head gear was designed to distinguish those who have specialized training and talents from the average solider.

4. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

Jim, our Airborne troops wear berets too, not just Rangers and Special Forces. All three earned the right to wear them.

5. Well, they could always issue these to the ones who flunk BIT: :D;):p

[​IMG]

6. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Now that you mention it, with that propeller on top it might be appropriate for airborne.:D:D

4Evr...don't you dare tell Daniel I said that. :eek:

7. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    These were the same arguements that were brought up when berets were adopted; maybe now somebody will actually listen. But then again, berets of any color just don't have the same flair since Bill and Monica...

8. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

ROMT.........may I see you in my office???

9. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Yes maam. :cool::cool::cool:

10. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

11. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

They used to have garison hats aka you know.

12. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Take your lumps like a Man, now!:)

Show a little mercy 4evr. :eek:

13. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

lol Tom and Bruce.... After a *hair flip* and "the look".... he'll never be the same :)

14. artabr

artabr New Member

So I guess we're going to get stuck with a bill to buy Chinese made patrol caps to replace the Chinese made berets that shouldn't have been bought in the first place. Yeehaw. :rolleyes: :mad:

They need to make the Pentagon pencil pushers that started this beret stuff back in the 90's and make them eat every one of those damm black berets, literally. :mad:

Art

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  15. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

Actually most Ranger/SOF soldiers I knew wore boonie hats in the field instead of the beret.
    I have never seen a situation where it was better than other types of headgear.