The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a different kind of brass that I've never seen before and can't find listed in any of the reloading manuals I have.

It is straight sided with a slight taper. It is .332 at the mouth X .356 near the rim. The rim is .381 dia. It is center fire with a head stamp that has 38 at the top and 78 opposite. No other marks. The case is 1.509 long.

I also picked up some Federal .327 mag brass from the same location, but that is shorter with about the same diameter. I had never heard of the .327 mag until I looked it up on the internet.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
hmm.. case length of a 38spl is 1.55 mouth is .379 etc.

is this a rimmed cartridge or a rebated rim / semi rimmed / rimmless? sounds rimmed. post a pic.

hmm.. that .381 rim is a catching point. 9x23 styre is the only thing I see close. and that case lenght of 1.5+ is a sticker too. throws it in 38spl/357 range.

i'm stumped. mind you that's no difficult task.. :) I'm mostly a bottlenecked cartridge guy...

I wonder if this was repurposed brass. did you find a couple examples? did they both measure this?

any thinf look like it may have been turned down?

would LOVE to see a pic.

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
Man!
Just went through my 'cartridges of the world' - NOTHING.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Man!
Just went through my 'cartridges of the world' - NOTHING.
same here. I just went down the 2 pages of specs I have at the work bench. looking at rim diameter and case length.

throw in that it's a straight wall case with a taper and it's getting me.

i wonder if it was a cut down cartridge.... would help with the length issue.

that rim diameter is limiting it heavilly.

i love mysteries like this.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
OK, here are a couple of pics. The first is for comparison with .38/357. The second shows the head stamp. It's not very clear, but the top two numbers are 38 the bottom two are 76.

I picked up 7 of these - like someone had shot a cylinder full and dumped the brass on the ground.

Edit: Added a third shot to give better perspective of the size

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
You said 7 rounds which is the number of rounds a 7.62 Nagant pistol holds.

I'm not familiar with the measurement of one of those cases, so I'm unsure.

7.62x38r?

·
Registered
328 Posts

7.62x38r?
You got it.
7.62 Nagant.

Let me find a pic of some loaded cartridges. The picture posted by OP, shows where it sealed when fired.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't think Stev32k's case was tapered, so it might be a more modern case. The modern manufactured ammo isn't tapered, and kinda wimpy!

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

7.62x38r?
I believe you nailed it. I just watched a video of the 7.62 Nagant and the ammo looks the same. The primers in the video were boxer type. The primers in the ones I found are berdan.

Here's link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFt9GjGcKWc

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
yep.. as soon as i saw those dots onthe side i knew it was nagant. and it's got an oversized case.. with slug in it looks like a wadcutter. for the gas seal.

·
Super Moderator
41,388 Posts
As soon as I saw the picture, I knew it was a Nagant case!

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Learn something new every day. The .327 mag and the Nagant are both new to me. Guess there are a lot more I've never heard of.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts