The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so one of my buddy's came by and dropped off a 3 bags oh 45 ACP brass for me :) but after I cleaned it and gave it a quick once over there's 2 different sized primers all my 45 ACP be for uses large pistol primers the new ones look like sm pistol primers so are they sm pistol primers if so would that Change the powder type and amount and if not what size primer is it

Now I know not to reload steel cases but can ya reload nickel and zinc coated casing I have read and so people say yes some say no just wondering y'all's thoughts on it

·
Super Moderator
28,038 Posts
The ones with the small primers are most likely stamped with a NT on them. These have Non toxic primers for indoor ranges. They are perfectly good to reload you just use a small pistol primer instead of a large. Aint nothin wrong ith reloading nickel plated brass. Some say that it tends to flake and may screw up your dies but I've never had that happen and I load a bunch of 38 and 357 in nickel and all I've seen is where it's starting to wear thin. Others ill say that the mouths tend to split sooner because of the plating. Just don't be to aggressive when flaring.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Plated cases are fine to reload, although they tend to be a little more brittle and split sooner than regular brass cases will. As to the primers--that's the latest bane of 45 reloaders! I keep those I have with SPP to make dummy rounds or load for field use when I don't intend to (or can't) recover my brass.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
The ones with the small primers are most likely stamped with a NT on them. These have Non toxic primers for indoor ranges. They are perfectly good to reload you just use a small pistol primer instead of a large. Aint nothin wrong ith reloading nickel plated brass. Some say that it tends to flake and may screw up your dies but I've never had that happen and I load a bunch of 38 and 357 in nickel and all I've seen is where it's starting to wear thin. Others ill say that the mouths tend to split sooner because of the plating. Just don't be to aggressive when flaring.
The cases that I've seen for the NT primers have a flash hole that is much larger than standard. These should not be used for reloading. pressure problems will happen using these cases. The small primer cases are just that, some ammo brands use a small primer in the place of the large with no effect on accuracy or reliability.

·
Super Moderator
41,340 Posts
The cases that I've seen for the NT primers have a flash hole that is much larger than standard. These should not be used for reloading. pressure problems will happen using these cases. The small primer cases are just that, some ammo brands use a small primer in the place of the large with no effect on accuracy or reliability.
Before I got my Dillon press, I loaded bunches of the NT marked brass. What do you mean they shouldn't be used for reloading? I still have some that I have reloaded and I will not hesitate to shoot them, nothing wrong with them at all except if you are using a progressive press and happen to hit one of those small primers SOB's while you are tooling along and everything comes to a sudden halt.

·
Registered
685 Posts
The NT brass is all that I reload in 45. Works great for me. I just wish it wasn't so hard to find empty brass. Only a couple of places carry it. I like not having one less type of primer to keep on hand.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
There is getting to be more small primer .45 brass that isn't marked NT...and they have standard sized flash holes.

I segregate my .45 brass by primer size but there has been no appreciable difference between small and large primer brass that I've seen or chrony'd.

With the NT brass, I haven't had any problems at all with problems due to the large flash hole...but I'm not pushing +P or Super loads through them either. Just standard .45ACP loads are just fine with em.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
I hate those d*** NT"S. I got a whole coffee can full of them, Dont know why I save them. They sure do brings to a screeching halt when they slip by you.

·
Super Moderator
41,340 Posts
I hate those d*** NT"S. I got a whole coffee can full of them, Dont know why I save them. They sure do brings to a screeching halt when they slip by you.
I sent the few I had to USMCSpeedy a couple of months ago. I bet he would appreciate them!!

·
Super Moderator
28,038 Posts
I'm sure that anyone that has small primer 45 brass that isn't comfortable with it can find someone here that would be happy to have it.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I'm sure that anyone that has small primer 45 brass that isn't comfortable with it can find someone here that would be happy to have it.
I agree, and will not turn down any spp brass I can get. Been reloading it for some time now, no problems at all. I do seperate it out, and when I reload it, the box is marked spp, helps to keep it seperate.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
I sent the few I had to USMCSpeedy a couple of months ago. I bet he would appreciate them!!
Good idea. If USMC send me a pm with his info I would love to get rid of those cases.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I received them and I don't think I ever said thanks. So, THANK YOU. I appreciate it.

Good idea. If USMC send me a pm with his info I would love to get rid of those cases.
PM sent. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
28,038 Posts
This is just one of the things that I love about being part of this family. :dance:

·
Registered
685 Posts
This is just one of the things that I love about being part of this family. :dance:
Amen to that. Some very good people here.

·
Super Moderator
41,340 Posts
Todd, that pile should keep you busy for a little while!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts