The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine just gave me a box of bullets that he had in his closet. He was a marine in Korea. Isnt there a law that says if you got the ammo you must have the gun it goes to? I'd kinda like to have a Garand and a M1 carbine.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
41,340 Posts
I do believe that is an unwritten law of some kind. I've got one of each, I will send you my address!!:eek::p

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Congradulations on a great score on that ammo! From the pictures, the .30 Carbine ammo looks like it MAY have been reloaded - to me looks like the extractor grooves look darkened like they have been fired before. Maybe not, just looks like maybe to me.

The .30 M1 ammo looks all original from what I see. The cases are starting to corrode, and I'd suspect the mecuric primer is doing nasty things to the interior of the case and the powder. You probably already know it, but a couple of the enbloc clips have tracer ammo. That stuff can be a bit dicey to play with because of the fire hazzard.

Just a peanut from the gallery here - I'd love the stuff, but what I'd do if it was mine is to pull the .30 Garand ammo down for the bullets, and MAYBE the powder (if it hasn't gone bad) and reload it into new cases with new primers. I'm guessing that the old cases may be toast with the corrosion present. Those old primers are almost sure to be hang-fires or mis-fires.

There is likely a mob of ammo collectors gathering outside with pitchforks and torches at this moment chanting "Burn him - he's a Witch!" for the above suggestion.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Very nice score Clinger! That '06 ammo sure was loaded long back then, as I bet the bullet is only half way into the neck of the cartridge. I have a few pulled bullets from that era and they look identical to those.

Just a side note- I shot some 45 acp rounds dated 1942 and 1943, but these were steel cased and they shot just fine. Hot soapy water afterwards to clean the barrel is mandatory. That said, I would think very long and hard before I EVER did anything that went against Mr. J. Brady's competent advice. The 45 rounds had nowhere near the pressure of the '06 rounds.

·
Registered
82 Posts
All USGI Carbine ammo is non corrosive
The Orange tip M2ball is tracer, the M2Ball may or may not be corrosive depending on headstamp

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
TheGunClinger:

Don't shoot the tracer ammo. It may start a fire on your range. I watched a steel cored bullet that hit a rock start a whole hillside on fire, requiring borate bombers and a couple hundred fire fighters to put it out. It was amazing how fast the fire spread. It was not me or my group of shooters that started the fire!

US military M1 carbine ammo is non-corrosve. Corrosive primers, as used in WWII US M1 Garand 30-06 ammo and some military ammo from foreign countries, do their damage after the ammo is fired. Both the gun bore and the brass cases MUST BE cleaned with soapy water to remove all traces of the fired corrosive primers.

The US military ammo became non-corrosive some time in the 1950's. Any ammo with a head stamp date of pre-50's (WWII) is corrosive.

As an aside, before the Korean war corrosive primers were known to better survive long storage periods without degrading. It was not until the 1950's that the military was convinced that non-corrosive primers met the military expectations of long storage periods. Today all US military ammo uses non-corrosive primers. Any US military surplus ammo for a M1 Garand date head stamped post 1950's is non-corrosively primed. Ammo from the 1950's is best treated as corrosively primed just to be safe as the corrosive primers can rust the bore of the gun and degrade the brass in the fired cartridge cases.

LDBennett

·
Premium Member
19,860 Posts
Wow thats some bad news. Now you are forced to go out and buy guns for this ammo. To bad.:):):)

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TheGunClinger:

Don't shoot the tracer ammo. It may start a fire on your range. I watched a steel cored bullet that hit a rock start a whole hillside on fire, requiring borate bombers and a couple hundred fire fighters to put it out. It was amazing how fast the fire spread. It was not me or my group of shooters that started the fire!

US military M1 carbine ammo is non-corrosve. Corrosive primers, as used in WWII US M1 Garand 30-06 ammo and some military ammo from foreign countries, do their damage after the ammo is fired. Both the gun bore and the brass cases MUST BE cleaned with soapy water to remove all traces of the fired corrosive primers.

The US military ammo became non-corrosive some time in the 1950's. Any ammo with a head stamp date of pre-50's (WWII) is corrosive.

As an aside, before the Korean war corrosive primers were known to better survive long storage periods without degrading. It was not until the 1950's that the military was convinced that non-corrosive primers met the military expectations of long storage periods. Today all US military ammo uses non-corrosive primers. Any US military surplus ammo for a M1 Garand date head stamped post 1950's is non-corrosively primed. Ammo from the 1950's is best treated as corrosively primed just to be safe as the corrosive primers can rust the bore of the gun and degrade the brass in the fired cartridge cases.

LDBennett
No way was I going to shoot this stuff. Most of them are dated 42. I was just going to display a few of them and give the rest away to some deserving individual.....know anyone? If so, PM.

As for corrosive ammo, I have an old Mosin and 1500 rounds. Every range session ends with it getting a bath of soapy water at the range and a good cleaning when I get home. I actually take the bolt apart and wash them off in the pool..dont tell Misses TGC.;)

·
Super Moderator
41,340 Posts
GunClinger, Thanks for the ammo, it will be put to good use!! I put the Carbing ammo in my vibratory tumbler yesterday and let it go for about 24 hours. It cleaned up pretty good. I just put the other in there and will get it out tomorrow. Here is what it looks like now. The picture makes it still look dark but it isn't.

Attachments

·
Registered
933 Posts
Nice score on the ball, tracer and carbine ammo! I have some ammo made in 1942 also and you may want to check out for cracks in the brass. I've found several in some of mine.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GunClinger, Thanks for the ammo, it will be put to good use!! I put the Carbing ammo in my vibratory tumbler yesterday and let it go for about 24 hours. It cleaned up pretty good. I just put the other in there and will get it out tomorrow. Here is what it looks like now. The picture makes it still look dark but it isn't.
You are welcome george. It saves me from having to buy a Garand and an M1 Carbine. Orobably need to see some targets though.:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
41,340 Posts
Bill, I promise you that I will keep these separate and when I shoot them I will post picture of the target. I went shooting today and I plan on going back to the range next Wednesday. I will make it a point to take the M1 and the Carbine. I will also take one of the 8mm Mausers and I will just do a shoot off of American vs. German WWII rifles. Hell, I might take the German Luger P.08 and a 1911 and do a shoot off of WWII pistol, too. Too bad I don't have a 1911 from that era, I will just have to take the oldest one I have which is the Auto Ordnance/Thompson.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
GD, what did you put in the tumbler with the ammo?
I've never owned a tumbler..

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GD, this is the one tracer round I kept. I stuck it on the polish wheel and shined it up. Headstamp is 1944. The M1's I kept are in the tumbler.(corncob)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Corncob. Gotcha, thanks.
Lots of people use walnut for real dirty brass as it is more abrasive than corncob. Corncob gives the brass a nice shine.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I want to buy one of those tumblers, but I've always seen them used with stones and wet-media for auto/motorycle parts.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
if you have no tumbler or cleaner at all.. i'd get a vibro tumbler... i like em better than a roller tumbler.

noisier though.. :)

·
Super Moderator
41,340 Posts
MSGT-R, I used plain walnut media on the Carbine ammo, it does not have any kind of polish, or at least I did not add any thing to it.

I used a treated corncob media on the 30.06 M1 Garand ammo and they came out much much prettier than the Carbine ammo. The only problem is that I now don't know which ones are the tracer cause the red/orange that were on the tip of the bullet is now gone. The ones I have came out almost as clean as that one you show above,.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts