1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thank you Alpo. Good stuff in those articles. I know that there are at least two or three guys here that are like me. Shooters that are just getting started in reloading.

This is exactly the sort of thing we NEED to read and reread.

·
TFFWPP President
13,896 Posts
right click, print, tape to cabinet above press, add note saying "don't be stupid"

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts
Good articles Alpo.I like the matter of fact,straight to the point,not candy coated,and no B.S. way it was written.Quick to read and manages to cover tons of possible mistakes made.May even save injury or worse. JOE

·
Registered
18,030 Posts
i do have a question about the fireforming warning.

depending on how strictly you interpret it. it could be construed so that fireforming is never safe at all?

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts
It states "Do not fireform factory cartridges in legthened chambers.excessive headspace is likely to be dangerous." I'm guessing he means chambers beyond SAAMI specs.If so I would think headspace could be an issue."legthened chambers", does he mean like an "improved" or "wildcat" cartridge? I don't know,maybe one of the more knowledgeable reloaders can shed some light on what he means. Joe

·
Registered
17,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Soundguy, I don't think so. He said "factory cartridges".

Feller I know in Canada was giving me some 9.3x57 loads. I asked him where he got his brass, as all I can find is Norma, and it's ungodly expensive. He said he buys Winchester 8mm Mauser brass. Puts 14 grains of bullseye in it, then a little wad of toilet paper in the mouth to hold the powder in. Goes out in the barn, points it up at the roof and "pop". He now has fireformed 9.3x57 brass.

If, however, he took factory 8x57 AMMO, and shot that in his 9.3x57 rifle, that could be quite dangerous. Shooting 30/06 in your 35 Whelen could be quite dangerous.

Factory cartridges.

As for "lengthened" chambers, yes, I would guess that would be "improved".

·
Registered
18,030 Posts
wow.. i never even though about someone shooting the full factory loaded cartridge in a chamber to fire form it.

just powder and cornmeal and patching or something.

good point

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts
Thanks Alpo'I thought thats what was meant.I have a 6.5Rem Mag,and right now I have 200 or so reloads ready.I have been FL resizing.When I next reload them,my plan was to get a neck sizer and use the fireformed empties then neck size only hoping to cut down on unnecessary brass stress.They could only be used in that gun and as far as I know thats perfectly safe and common practice correct? THANKS Joe

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
7,072 Posts
Thanks, Alpo. I read all three, and all were worth reading.:)

·
Registered
21,272 Posts
" The blasted primer blew out, spitting gas back through the action into your face? That was Gabriel, blowing his horn - for you!"

good stuff for sure

I have not felt the urge to drive up powder / pressure on hand loads.
I guess it's my personality but I am not a risk taker by nature. I have been pleasently surprised by accuracy in most of my hand loads while staying between the mins and maxs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts