The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
My father used to pick the dandelion greens before they bloomed up North here, and made a salad using cider vinegar, hard cooked eggs, S&P, & not-quite-crispy bacon. It was a meal by itself with a slice of homemade bread & butter.

·
Super Moderator
41,583 Posts
My father used to pick the dandelion greens before they bloomed up North here, and made a salad using cider vinegar, hard cooked eggs, S&P, & not-quite-crispy bacon. It was a meal by itself with a slice of homemade bread & butter.
My wife picks them and cooks them. I attribute it to being Korean - I think that anything growing is edible to them and is fair game!!

·
Administrator
32,545 Posts
My grandmother would pick and break the Green Beans then dig the potatoes.
Put it all in a big pressure cooker with a little water and a piece of Salt Pork.
When it was cooked and served it was delicious and there was never any left.

Maybe I should buy my wife a pressure cooker.

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
.....Maybe I should buy my wife a pressure cooker.
Oh yeah my mother used one all the time...and there were 8 of us! Great for those big one pot meals with potatoes, carrots, whatever. She also made whatever meats last and some really great pot roasts, oh yeah. Pot roast, potatoes, veges. :)

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Super Moderator
41,583 Posts
Did you know that Spaghetti, cooked in a pressure cooker will stick to the ceiling, if it is opened before the steam/pressure is fully released?

Don't ask m how I know this useless fact!!

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Reminds me of something my Grandmother would cook, quick and easy from Mr. Food 06/05/14:

Steamin' Taters 'n' Beans

SERVES 6 COOK TIME 45 Min READY IN 45 Min

Sometimes simple is best...like here we've got fresh green beans and red potatoes boiled up with a little salt pork. Steamin' Taters 'n' Beans is a Southern classic that combines great flavorwith ease -- our favorite combo!

What You'll Need:

1 (2-ounce) piece salt pork, (see note)
1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut in half
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
12 small red potatoes (about 2 pounds), cut in half
2 teaspoons salt

(OPTIONAL ADD: Enjoy With Creamy & Indulgent Carbonara Sauce *SEE LINK BELOW)

What To Do:

In a large pot, combine salt pork, green beans, and pepper with enough water to cover. Place potatoes on top and sprinkle with salt. Cover loosely and bring to a boil over high heat.

Reduce heat to low and simmer 30 to 35 minutes, or until potatoes and beans are tender. Serve in bowls with broth.

Notes

Three slices of raw bacon will work just as well as salt pork.

In the South, they call the broth "pot liquor" and serve it with plenty of cornbread for dunking. Here's one of our yummy cornbread recipes for you to try!

*Read more at Steamin' Taters 'n' Beans
I was just thinking about this old recipe and looked it up here to see if it was still available.......it was !

An old favorite.

·
Premium Member
19,959 Posts
Now I am hungry.

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Dang son, where you been for the past 5 years? Missed you!
I was quite ill especially 2015, 2017 and 2019. In 2015 I got a very bad case of double pneumonia but I beat that and then got a strange and very serious kidney infection I was in the hospital for many months but somehow beat it......and lost 63 pounds which I've never totally gained back. I was just bones.

In 2017 I had the osteomyelitis in my left hip which I still have today. We just try and control the infection as best we can.
In 2019 that spread to the pelvis requiring surgery.

So this is the hand that we were dealt and my doctors are figuring out a game plan on how to deal with it.
I meanwhile try to stay out of the hospital as we move on.

I wonder what my hospital/doctor bills must be but I know I've passed $1,000,000 long ago....... amazing huh. :-/

21 - 32 of 32 Posts