The Firearms Forum banner

sorting by headstamp

3K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  soundguy 
#1 · (Edited)
How many sort head stamps from once fired brass 9mm ? If you do ,does it make a difference that you have seen

#6 ·
I do pretty much the same as above. For the pistols I sort out the Starline that I bought new, but everything else just gets lumped together.

#8 ·
i got in the habit of sorting all my brass when i was shooting compt.. diff manf have diff case thickness,,, (can be checked by water capacity) and diff web dimensions.. for plinking will not make a diff unless you are pushing max loads,, then can cause over presures if set up in a larger internal dimension and load the same powder in a smaller case,, my good stuff i still sort ,, all the plinking stuff is usually mixed,, and hard to tell the diff..

#10 ·
As far as sorting. I'm glad I did sort. I found two Hornady makarov cases. About a dozen hornady 9mm cases. Mostly Speer,WIN and FC and one 40 SW case. Is FC federal??
I did find some that I never have seen before

A few of these>> *-* it is a star then a dash then a star ?
some >> R*P
some WCC
and some fioccri
PMP
Would you reload all of these or just the ones in the first paragraph

#17 · (Edited)
I sort all my brass by headstamp as there are some that aren't worth reloading (Amerc, sp?). There are variations from manufacturer to manufacturer and some believe better performance is gained by using a specific make brass. I sort while I'm inspecting for splits, dings, steel, etc. and just like loading all the same. But, I've read tests, more than one, where a reloader sorted all the brass by headstamp, reloaded, and fired for accuracy. He then loaded same amount of brass, with same load, with mixed headstamps and there was no appreciable (measurable) difference between the two. For my 45 ACP in my 1911 and Ruger P90, I very often just go with mixed brass and shoot my normal groups. Can't tell any difference...

#19 ·
my eysights unfortunately going. glasses are getting to the point where ants scatter when I walk outside :) and I can't stare at the ground too long when the sun is out or the grass might catch.

have to find the right ballance of light and focal distance when trying to read stuff or see fine stuff. half the time I find myself taking them off and then nose-ing up on something with one of them super bright cheapo 1$ led flashlights from harbor freight to see detail..

ho hum.. :)

my reload bench misses me.. i've been laying off it to conserve supplies.

gun shows have dried up ar ound here too. used to be able to drive to one somewhere in the tri county area at least 3 sundays a month. I havn't seen one for a month.. and next one is at the end of april.

I did clean up on top of a work bench and discoverd a handfull of spent 223 brass.. that was a nice discovery.. added it to my reload colelction..

i still have a couple odd bags of misc brass to sort and clean and resize.. even if I don't prime and load em.. might as well get them ready...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.