SP primer in 45

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by bbqchair, Jun 28, 2020.

1. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

My SP primed .45 ACPs are loaded like any of my regular cast .45 ammo. Any time I'm going to shoot the .45 where I might lose brass - the SP brass is what I carry. Any that gets lost is no sweat. If they were LP primed I'd be huntin' and peckin' in the weeds like an old hen trying to find it.

Wild Turkey Cogburn likes this.
  2. AZ2VET

AZ2VET Well-Known Member

After the house fire and needing to restock I ordered 6,000 pieces of 45 acp and 9mm brass each. In the process of sorting and cleaning I ended up with 2000 of the small primered 45 acp cases. They are packed away in a box with 200 cases to a zip lock bag waiting until needed. The way things are going at the moment that may be sooner rather than later as I do have more SP than LP primers.

Clipper likes this.

3. jwdurf

jwdurf Well-Known Member Supporting Member

after decapping, I set them all in the loading tray primer pocket up. the small ones stick out like a sore thumb this way it's easier to spot them this way than just looking at one at a time. then take a flashlight and shine it down into the pockets, easy to see the flash hole and and any burrs or blockages. Pretty quick way to inspect for these issues.

mikld likes this.
  4. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If I find any small primer 45 cases I put them in a can not to be reloaded.....yet. If I ever do reload them, the empty cases will remain on the ground after shooting not to be picked back up.

gdmoody likes this.
  5. res45

res45 Active Member

I have both SP and LP 45 ACP cases, sometime I find them in range pickup or I just buy them as once fired brass with mixed primer pockets or in SP to begin with. Anyways I just sort them and when I take my 45's out shooting I just carry one or the other so I can keep them separate. It's nice to have some 45 ACP in SP to fall back on as I have a lot more SP primers than I do LP being the 45 is the only pistol cartridge I load for that takes LP. No saying I don't have enough LP primer on had to hold me over but you never know these days how things are going to go.

6. Mr. Don

Mr. Don Well-Known Member Supporting Member

for sorting I use the large primer pocket cleaner. Did 15lbs of 45 brass watching tv. All that work for these few spp. spp45a.jpg